starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SS NLP at the Late Night Iron Gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Day 3 - Bad day...

So I've been progressively beating myself up in an effort to hit certain benchmarks for myself. Shoulder pain, elbow pain, trochanter pain, all coming and going at different times. Mostly bearable and have been able to massage my way to the next workout. I upped my eating 3000+ calories, sleep is good and resting between set all have been good.

Press - goal 150#, completed 155# - Today went for 157.7 missed by one first set and third set. I'm totally happy with this except my left elbow aches bad enough I was getting a bit sick.

Squat - goal 300#, completed 290#
    My trochanters both sides have been acting up for a while and I have powered through. Today I could not even finish my warmup sets. Just cannot work up the energy to bear the pain any longer. I can walk ok, but having a hard time getting in and out of chairs. Stairs are painful unless bend over and walk up like a 4 legged creature. I would have been an act of God to hit 295 today.

Deadlift - I don't seem to have any issues with these. I don't really even have a goal, these just keep going up and don't hurt any part of my body.

Bench - goal 225#, completed 215#
    I seem to be ok with these as well. No real issues.

PC - No real goal on these just want to get better each workout.

Chin - No real goal here just want to consistently do better.

There you have it... I would say I have on legit fail, the press.

Im going back out to DL... I don't workout again for 2 days.

I wonder how how many people this happens to. Maybe being 45 has some limits and I need to slow down. HLM here I come? Does anyone even read these or am I talking to myself? Ha! Happy Easter!

Today
    Press - 157.5 / 4 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps
    Squat - could not finish warm ups

Update: DL - 365x5x1
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.

April 23rd

Bench - 217.5
    Squat - 225
    PC - 135
    Chins - -50, 9,10, body weight 6

Bench, pc, Chins all progressing.

Restarting squat from scratch. Will be going down again. Still have hip pain.

April 25th

Squat - 135
    Press - 157.5
    DL - 370

This is the second try at 157.5 and was successful.

DL - still going up.

Squats will start again at 135. Mild pain.

Split today into 2 workouts.

Morning
    Bench - 220
    Chins, -50, 10 warmup. 5 reps, 3 sets.

I have added a warmup set.

Night
    PC - 140
    Squat - 145

PR Squat is currently 290. Down to 145 is a big set back.

No pain squating. I figured out what I was doing wrong. Not enough hip drive. I have to have enough hip drive to go around the pain. We will see what happens when I get to heavy weight.

I still have some healing to do, but squats at 145 with 3 sets of 5 did not set me back. I'm back in business!

Food intake is still up as well. Hovering around the 3000 calories. I'm still fine tuning what I eat and learning how to deal with being out of the house all day and still eat properly.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-27-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Back at it late at night.

Weight 223#

Squat - 195
    Press - 160
    DL - 375

Squats are still pain free. Should have done some Chins but spaced it... I'll get them tomorrow. DL going up like clockwork. I should be able to hit 400 on the LP no problem.

Press is back on the LP after a single miss at my first 157.5 attempt.

Everyone thinks what I'm doing is crazy. I pretty much feel great every morning and still no back pain. Shoulder pain is getting less and less as well as the occasional elbow ache.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Everyone thinks what I'm doing is crazy. I pretty much feel great every morning and still no back pain.
    Have to concur. It's amazing, when you get up to speed on some particular subject, and you will occasionally meet someone who's particularly misinformed on that subject, and it's usually kind of humorous. Since getting involved with lifting, both for myself, and coaching my son's powerlifting team.... it's amazing both how many are ignorant of basic body mechanics and strength training, and often just HOW FAR off they mark they are. So, yeah, they think you're crazy.

And yet, they're the ones with the chronically sore backs, etc.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Have to concur. It's amazing, when you get up to speed on some particular subject, and you will occasionally meet someone who's particularly misinformed on that subject, and it's usually kind of humorous. Since getting involved with lifting, both for myself, and coaching my son's powerlifting team.... it's amazing both how many are ignorant of basic body mechanics and strength training, and often just HOW FAR off they mark they are. So, yeah, they think you're crazy.

And yet, they're the ones with the chronically sore backs, etc.

Keep up the good work!
    I constantly point people in a direction, I don't really care anymore if they choose to go down the path. I'll let my lifts speak for themselves. I would bet to say I'm stronger than 99% of everyone I know.

I would love to coach some people. I tried one of my friends kids and he ended up "Not doing the program".

Thursday May 2nd - Day 2

Bench - 222.5#
    Squat - 205#
    PC - 142.5

Did Chins on Wed. 24 reps total.

Day 3 - Late at it again.

The workouts are definitely taking longer due to my timed rests. The intensity of my press is high, so I am resting 7-8 min between sets. Not sure I could accomplish them if the rest time was shorter.

Squats are still progressing with no hip pain. I did video myself and I still think I should go just and inch lower to be safe.

DL just seems to keep going.

Shoulders are almost pain free 100% of the time. My elbow are completely good. And my lowbar flexibility is getting better. I now need very little warmup to get my hands in place. Starting to get a narrower grip as well.

Squat - 210#
    Press - 162.5#
    DL - 380#

Will do Chins tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    Did some chin ups tonight.

5 set at bodyweight 224#

5, 6, 7, 6, 6

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast