Thursday 1/5/2019
    Squat 3x5: 65 kgs
    Bench 3x5: 47,5 kgs
    Deadlift 1x5: 102,5 kgs

Saturday 3/5/2019
    Squat 3x5: 70 kgs
    Press 3x5: 37,5 kgs
    Deadlift: 112,5 kgs

Almost no soreness, but the workouts of the first week felt heavier than they should.
    Last edited by Antonio de Blas; 05-08-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Antonio,

Welcome to the forums! I look forward to seeing your progress, and hope you will use us as a resource to answer questions you may have.

I'm a little confused on the dates. Do you mean April 29th, May 2nd, and May 4th?

A little background info also helps answering questions when they come up.... age, height, weight, etc.

I have a question on your last comment. "felt heavier"? Was bar speed (the time to complete the reps) slowing down a lot? If so, perhaps you've gone too heavy to begin with. If not, and it's just "a feeling" (believe me, we've all been there), then perhaps that's just part of getting used to lifting heavy weights

Do you videotape your workouts? The reason I ask, I sometimes do, for heavy worksets. Many times I've completed one of these sets, sure that my form was terrible, and that I went really slow, only to see on video that it was fine. Sometimes our minds play tricks on us!

Keep up the good work!

Bob

Hi Bob!

I'm a little confused on the dates. Do you mean April 29th, May 2nd, and May 4th?
    Oops. I totally mess up with the dates. That's exactly what I meant.

I have a question on your last comment. "felt heavier"?
    Form was good, bar speed was appropriate, it only got slower in the last 2 reps. It was just me being weak and deconditioned

Week 2
    Monday 13/5/2019
    Squat 3x5: 75 kgs
    Bench 3x5: 52,5 kgs
    Deadlift 1x5: 117,5 kgs

I leaned over a little more on the squat and suddenly it was easy. DL got me out of breath, but was easier with a 5 kgs jump.

Regarding the DL: It's easy to understand how one gets out of breath doing them. It helps if you can complete the five lifts in 30 seconds. Do you have videos?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Regarding the DL: It's easy to understand how one gets out of breath doing them. It helps if you can complete the five lifts in 30 seconds. Do you have videos?
    I'm a little confused. 30 seconds for the whole set of 5 DLs? I don't do warmup sets that fast!

My last two DL days (setting PRs), I did the first three reps in about 20-25 seconds. The 4th takes about another 30 (waiting for breath), and the last one longer than that (again, waiting for enough breath so that I can hold my breath long enough to complete the rep). If I had to complete a whole set in 30 seconds, I'd have to deload about 40-50 pounds, at least.

So, that gets back to my occasional question in my log thread... when is a set not a set?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    I'm a little confused. 30 seconds for the whole set of 5 DLs? I don't do warmup sets that fast!

My last two DL days (setting PRs), I did the first three reps in about 20-25 seconds. The 4th takes about another 30 (waiting for breath), and the last one longer than that (again, waiting for enough breath so that I can hold my breath long enough to complete the rep). If I had to complete a whole set in 30 seconds, I'd have to deload about 40-50 pounds, at least.

So, that gets back to my occasional question in my log thread... when is a set not a set?
    I do believe that is not a set. No one can benefit by trying to catch ones breath especially on heavy lifts. You breath more than once you lose. Set, lift, down, breath once, set, lift, down, etc. All five in 30 seconds.

Show some videos, if you can do so. Go see a SS coach. Get those lifts over with.

LOL, no need for a coach or videos. The form and bar speed are fine. I just have to wait to do them.

I'll try 2 sets of 3 next time, since the first three reps are done pretty quickly.

As they say, "you aren't doing the program." It's up to you.

How is that not the program? Per PP book, late stage novice LP. It talks about moving to triples.

And it's not like I can magically not be out of breath to do the 5 reps faster. And lifting less weight, doing 5 reps quickly, isn't really doing the program, either, since I can lift more than that.

Let's take any more comments back to my log, and leave poor Antonio alone
    Last edited by SeanThornton; 05-07-2019 at 07:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 2
    Wednesday 8/5/2019
    Squat 3x5: 77,5 kgs
    Press 3x5: 40 kgs
    Deadlift 1x5: 122,5 kgs

I think I could have done a 5 kgs jump for squats, but I'd rather not to be greedy. I did the first press work set beltless and regret it; the next ones were smoother. Deadlift felt heavy as per usual, but doable at a fine speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast