starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lipnickey's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Deadlift working set felt like shit today. My back wasn't nearly tight enough at the bottom of my set up and my lower back rounded at the start of my pull.
    Your barely getting any knee extension on your DL's. Push the floor away by straightening your knees holding your back angle tight. Once the bar is past your knees just stand up.[/QUOTE]

So, push the floor away with hips and shoulders moving at the same speed until knees are locked out?

You got it. If you think about pushing the floor away you will have to extend the knees first. Just make sure to drag the bar up your shins and not let it float out front.

Knees out and hips back at the same time, point your nipples at the floor and leave the back angle there. If the bar is over mid-foot you are in the right place. Drive up with your hips and don't try to stand up too soon.

Great, thank you! I look forward to trying that on Wednesday! I'll make sure to get a video where the cameraman doesn't move midway through the workset!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019:
    Warmed up 2 minutes on a Concept 2 Erg
    Squat: 45x5x2, 95x5, 145x3, 195x2, 240x5x3 PR Set 1 Set 3
    Bench Press: 45x5x2, 70x5, 95x3, 120x2, 145x5x3
    Power Clean: 45x3x2, 65x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 165x3x5 Set 3
    Pull Ups: bwx4/4/4

Links:
    Squat:
    Set 1:YouTube
    Set 3: YouTube
    Power Clean:
    Set 3: https://youtu.be/iQt6jy_Xxdk

Notes: Today was a much better day than Monday.

Based on Jeff Brophy's feedback, I went with a 5# jump, tried to shove my butt back and point my nipples to the floor, and drive my hips up out of the hole. I am not 100% sure about form, but the weight jump felt good. I felt like I was able to drive out of the bottom with more force and stay balanced throughout each lift. I accidentally did 6 reps on the 3rd working set. Belt starting on last warm up set.

Bench felt strong overall- wider grip, tracking a spot on the ceiling to keep the bar in the same position. Little funniness in my right shoulder after first set, felt fine over the next two sets.

I had originally planned on doing deadlifts today, but I wasn't feeling 100% recovered- time to add power cleans. Built up to starting weight of 165#. There are definitely some form and technique errors that need to be addressed, but power cleans are fun and I enjoyed this. I am bending my arms too soon, before I complete the jump and shrug. Based on the way my shorts moved, it looks like the bar was in contact with my thighs until I jumped.

Finished with pull ups. First time doing pull ups in the program, these were really not fun. I had trouble keeping my back tight and finishing the last 2-4", bringing my chest to the bar. I may need a programming clarification, but I plan on alternating chins and pull ups until I hit 12 unweighted, then I will add weight every other set.
    Last edited by mlipnickey; 04-14-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Glad these squats felt better. Hip drive looks much better. Only issue I'm picking up on now is getting your knees out and your hips back at the same time. It looks like your thinking about hips back and your knees are lagging behind. Drive the knees out with the hips back and get your knees where they need to be by halfway down. At that point your just lowering and driving out of the hole. Keep at it.

Friday, April 12, 2019:
    Squat: 45x5x2, 95x5, 145x3, 195x2, 245x5x3 PR Set 1
    Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 80x3, 95x2, 110x5x2 PR, 115x5x1 PR
    Deadlift: 95x5x2, 150x5, 205x3, 260x2, 315x5

Links:
    Squat:
    Set 1: YouTube
    Deadlift: YouTube

Notes: In warm ups, I focused on pushing my butt back and knees out at the same time. Overall, hips and knees moved together better. Hip drive on the squat did not feel as solid.

On the press, I tried to keep ribcage down. Felt solid.

Deadlift felt much better than the last time I pulled 315#. Did a better job of pushing the ground down. I didn't hold my low back in extension the whole time. Rounding occurred right near my tail bone.

Monday, April 15, 2019:
    Squat: 45x5x2, 100x5, 150x3, 200x2, 250x5x3 PR
    Bench Press: 45x5x2, 75x5, 100x3, 130x2, 155x5x3
    Power Clean: 45x5x2, 80x5, 110x3, 145x2, 175x3x5
    Chins: bw x 8/7/5

Notes: Squats felt stable , bar stayed over the midfoot. Hip drive still not great.

On the bench press, shoulders felt good, no squeezed feeling. Kept elbows in to try to keep forearms vertical.

For the power cleans, the weight jump was too big, 5# jump next time. Need to focus on keeping my back angle consistent until the bar hits my knee.

Squat progress looks good. The weight gets heavier but the bar speed is staying pretty consistent. Keep at it.

Is there a reason your deadlifting in socks and not your shoes? I think you'd be able to keep your hips higher and further from the bar which would be a more efficient position of leverage. You're still leaving some knee extension lagging behind and the back rounding may be you trying to lift with your back when you could be continuing to extend the knees. When you get set to lift think about trying to pull your shoulders to your hips. It should be really tight and uncomfortable. Then squeeze the bar off the floor by pushing the floor away. Hold the back angle until the knees are just about extended then finish with your hips.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019:
    Squat: 45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 245x5x2
    Press: 45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 95x5, 105x5x2
    Bench Press: 45x5, 85x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 165x5x2
    Deadlift: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 270x5, 290x5

Notes: I was able to get out to see SSC Nick D'Agostino at Woodmere Fitness Club. Really productive session, we started by reviewing each lift and then building up to a working weight. I recorded Nick's cues and programming recommendations here.

Purpose of dropping weight for some lifts is to ensure good technique. Lighter weight now will help me keep form consistent as I move forward.

Squat: think knees and hips moving at the same time. Exaggerate the hip drive. Go deeper than I think I need to. Friday weight: 250#, 5# jumps

Press: think "belt buckle to the wall" -> "throw it." Initiate the press as soon as the bar drops. Only bring ears in line with arms, not ahead of it. Monday weight: 100#, 2.5# jumps

Bench Press: grip a little wider than I had been using- first ring on the bar between ring and pinky fingers. Keep the bar relatively high on chest. Chest up, shoulders down. Friday weight: 165#, 5# jumps

Deadlift: these pulls were in lifting shoes. I plan to continue deadlifting in lifters and ignore people who complain about me doing so. When locking back in: breath before pulling the chest up. When pulling the chest up, think about simultaneously pointing my butt hole at the wall (to lock in the lower back). Felt good- firmly locked in back and belly. First time, I felt the column of air keeping my torso tight as I pulled. Monday weight: 275#, 5# jumps

Power clean: we didn't review the power clean, but based on our conversation I plan on dropping the weight to ensure my form is really solid and then building a bit slower. Friday weight: 170#, 5# jumps

Programming: keep alternating deadlift and power clean as A/B, etc. Keep doing chins on B days. Can alternate body weight chins and chest to bar pull ups if I want. Once I hit 10 unbroken on the first set, starting alternating one of the chin/pull up days with 3x5 weighted chins, incrementally loading the weight. I will probably start with 5# and then once I get at least 2 sets of 5, add weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for the feedback, Jeff!

About the deadlift- I had been deadlifting barefoot just because that is what I am used to, I will be switching over to deadlifting in my lifting shoes.

I had a chance to do a session with Nick D'Agostino and he gave me some helpful cues for getting the my back tight before starting the pull. Additionally, he recommended I drop the weight slightly and build back up with better form. Hopefully this will carry over to my next set of deadlifts on Monday.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast