starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on the LP

Default Back on the LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First day back on the LP. I ran this program a couple of years ago when I first started lifting, but I didn’t really finish it the way I now understand is best. That was followed by a lot of different things, like Olympic lifting and calisthenics and some intermediate strength programs. Unfortunately I’ve been much less disciplined over the last six months or so, hence the return to LP. We’ll see how this goes.

I’m 42 years old, 5’10”, and 185 lbs (first thing in the morning). I plan to gain some weight over the program, but I also intend to keep that within reason.

Kept it kind of easy today. 2 minute rests. Only a couple jumps up to working weight.

Squat 205x5x3
    Bench 135x5x3
    Deadlift 295x5

Welcome, nice jump start on the deadlift.

I plan to gain some weight over the program, but I also intend to keep that within reason.
    This has helped me:

Gaining Bodyweight Without GOMAD

Quote Originally Posted by JCross View Post
    Welcome, nice jump start on the deadlift.

This has helped me:

Gaining Bodyweight Without GOMAD
    Thanks for the link. That’s basically how I plan to approach things. My diet is on the whole food side of things, so I’m hoping that adding a peanut butter smoothie before bed will tip the scales.

My deadlift is probably out of proportion to my other lifts. My prior bests were 410 lbs on the deadlift, but only 285 lbs on the squat and 140 on the press (don’t even wanna talk about bench). Clean of 185 and jerk of 155 could also get better. Maybe not that bad at my bodyweight and age but I’m shooting higher this time. I plan to carry the LP all the way through this time and then use TM.

If it helps, you're near my size, weight, age, and strength. I need 3300-3400 calories/day to gain a pound a week on LP. That was much higher than I expected it to be, and it took a long time for me to figure that out.

-->Adam

I'm on a similar calorie intake. 3000-3200 at 5'9" with a starting weight of 195, age 32. I'm at about 205 now two months in.

Day 2 back on the program. Kept the rest short at around 2 minutes between sets.

Took a 10 lb jump on the squats because they were feeling pretty lite, and I’m still repping out the sets on nearly a single breath. I haven’t squatted low bar in a while, but it seems to be coming back nicely.

Squat 215x5x3
    Press 95x5x3
    Power Clean 135x3x5

Feeling great today despite (or thanks to) some very good scotch last night. Took 10 lb jumps on the squat and bench and a 20 lb jump on the deadlift. Weighed in at 185 lbs this morning (before eating or drinking anything).

Squat 225x5x3
    Bench 145x5x3
    Deadlift 315x5

Also I’m loving the soundtrack to the Spiderverse movie. Not usually a hip hop fan (I like rock and country), but this was an exceptional movie and the soundtrack got me pumped during today’s lifts.

Squat 235x5x3
    Press 100x5x3
    Power Clean 140x3x5

This is a great cycle for my squat. I haven’t squatted low bar for a while, and it’s coming back stronger than ever. Still taking 10 lb jumps 5 sessions in and feeling really good. A 5RM of 245 would project a max of about 288 (assume 85%), which is above my prior 1RM, and I did 3 sets of 5 fairly easily.

The other lifts are still not at prior bests, but I’m happy progressing them slowly. I’m also enjoying deadlifting in my Nike Romaleos 2 instead of barefoot.

Squat 245x5x3
    Bench 155x5x3
    Deadlift 325x5

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 255x5x3 (felt heavy)
    Press 105x5x3
    Power Clean 145x3x3 (ran out of time tonight and felt sloppy anyway)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast