starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Novice LP Log

Default Robert Novice LP Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello ,

My Name is Robert and i live in Germany , so i would like to state that i'm not a native Speaker as first .
    Im trying as good as i can .

Im 28 @ 5'11 and 198 lbs .

I was addicted to drugs and alcohol for about 13 years untill i made a new beginning in September 2017 and im sober since then .
    Over the last 8 Months i lost more then 50 lbs , i was really fat and unhealthy .
    I did different types of conditioning , fasted walks and some sort of not programmed weightlifting to get to ~ 200 , where i am now .
    I decided that i need some sort of guidance and bought SSBT 3 and decided to go on a regular LP .
    Over the Weekend i read the "how to " sections of all the Lifts so i could start my journey today.
    I will read SSBT 3 as a whole again , just wanted to get started .

Today i tried to find my starting weights , and i think i was very conservative about them as i felt there was always a good amount in the tank .
    But i wont have the chance to see a SS Coach and i cant afford online Coaching at the moment ( still @ rehab with just a Little income ) so i started out low to
    give my very best and concentrate on form each rep .

Lifts for today 1. April 2019

Squats
    2 x 5 x 10 kg
    1 x 5 x 30 kg
    1 x 5 x 40 kg
    1 x 5 x 50 kg
    3 x 5 x 55 kg (120 lbs)

Press
    2 x many x 10 kg
    1 x 5 x 20 kg
    1 x 5 x 25 kg
    1 x 5 x 30 kg
    3 x 5 x 32.5 kg (~ 71 lbs )

Deadlift
    1 x many x 30 40 kg
    2 x 5 x 50 kg
    1 x 5 x 60 kg
    1 x 5 x 70 kg (155 lbs)
    Last edited by Robston; 04-04-2019 at 08:03 AM.

That's about what I started on.
    Good work.

Great work on your recovery.

On your heaviest warm up set only do 2 reps.
    At that point you're already warmed up and only need to prepare your body to lift heavy weight, otherwise you'll go into your worksets with some fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    On your heaviest warm up set only do 2 reps.
    At that point you're already warmed up and only need to prepare your body to lift heavy weight, otherwise you'll go into your worksets with some fatigue.
    I had that reaction at first too, but it was his first workout and it was done correctly.

Okay , today i did the 2nd Workout , working up to a weight for bench presses .

I think it went pretty well , the squats felt pretty easy and i was comfortable bench pressing for the first time ive ever done it ( I dont know which kind of weird technique i had ) . The deadlifts felt not as good as they did monday , not heavy but not right in some sort of way . Maybe i need some more practice or 20 lbs jumps are just too high , i cant tell that for now .

3. April 2019

Squat :
    2 x 5 x 10 kg
    1 x 5 x 30 kg
    1 x 3 x 40 kg
    1 x 2 x 50 kg
    3 x 5 x 60 kg (~ 132 lbs)

Bench press :
    2 x many x 10 kg
    1 x 5 x 20 kg
    1 x 5 x 30 kg
    1 x 5 x 40 kg
    1 x 5 x 45 kg
    1 x 5 x 47.5 kg (105 lbs)

Deadlift :
    2 x 5 x 50 kg
    1 x 5 x 60 kg
    1 x 3 x 70 kg
    1 x 5 x 80 kg (~175 lbs)

You write very well for one who uses English as a second language. It's very encouraging to learn of a young man who is getting off of drugs and getting his weight and his life under control. Also, you are wise to utilize Starting Strength. Posting your lifts here will give you a chance to get some encouragement and insight from many other lifters. I would suggest that until you can get connected with a Starting Strength coach that you find a partner who knows how to do these lifts properly and will work with you. They are not easy to find. There are plenty of people who lift improperly but few who lift properly. Moreover, I suggest that if possible you film or have someone film your lifts and occasionally post them here or on the technique section.

Keep up the good work. Keep adding 5 kg. to Deads and Squats and 2.5 kg. to your presses until you can no longer consistently do so.
    Last edited by carson; 04-04-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Thank you all for those kind words and motivation .
    Carson yeah , i will decrease my DL jumps to 5 -7,5 kg instead of 10 and try to add 5 kg to my squats aswell as long as i can clear all my 3 sets .

I am reading through SSBT 3 atm and bought practical programming as my next read .
    And i bought a pair of squat shoes , they will arrive in about 2 weeks .

I measured my waist and belly today and will log this + my weight here aswell .

As of today i am ~ 200 lbs , with 37 inch @ belly button / 34 inch @ waistline .
    The navy method gives me a Body fat percentage of ~ 21,5 % .
    I have a lot of loose skin there so i am not really convinced about that , i think it might be a bit lower .

3 WO 5. April 2019

Squat
    2 x 5 x 20
    1 x 5 x 30
    1 x 3 x 40
    1 x 2 x 50
    3 x 5 x 65 (~ 145 lbs)

Squats felt good today , i really could feel the bounce at the bottom of the motion . I think i didnt hit depth at the 5th rep / 3 set so i just did a 6th one .

Press
    2 x 5 x 10
    1 x 5 x 20
    1 x 3 x 25
    1 x 2 x 30
    3 x 5 x 35 (77 lbs)

Those felt easy but i know my technique is shit . I cant concentrate on them like on squats but i will try to fix them asap .

Deadlift
    2 x 5 x 35
    1 x 5 x 50
    1 x 3 x 70
    1 x 5 x 90 ( ~200 lbs)

I did another 20 lbs/ 10 kg jump and it felt good . I think i nailed them down pretty well , put a lot of effort into lumbar extension .
    From now on i will add only 7,5 kg to my deadlifts and i hope i can upload a Video of my DL ( and squat) next session to be sure i didnt got greedy .

Next week i will still deadlift 3 times and get in some technique training on PCs .
    Looking to alternate DLs the week after .

Im still scared of PCs and dont know if i am able to do them properly . I cant ask anyone to help me with my form neither .
    Last edited by Robston; 04-06-2019 at 02:11 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Robert,
    great way to get back from the addiction, wish you all the best on your path.
    Will be following your thread, just keep adding weigth to the bar.
    By the way, whereabout in Germany are you from?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast