starting strength gym
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: BWare's Novice Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    10/13 (late entry) Rowing -- race day! Start time was around 2PM; we checked over the boat, tightening bolts, getting foot spreaders all set properly, putting on our "team spirit wear", and so on. Launched about 1:30 and rowed over to the marshaling area.

I could tell from that point that things were not going to work out well: our new stroke seat occupier was certainly conditioned enough to do fine, but her technique was all over the place. She would square up the blade so late on almost every stroke that she missed water and sliced through rather than plant the blade and get a solid connection before driving the legs. She was excited about the race, and even though we were just warming up, the coxswain had to warn her to relax, slow down, keep her hands at a consistent height, etc. It was not a good omen.

We got the alert to begin moving to the start line, taking our place in the sequence of boats, picking up the pace and power as we approached, and got a good start from the race official. I expected the time would be about 22 minutes to cover the 5K, and all of it straight (mostly) sprinting. (There was no challenge turn in this course, but a couple of minor turns around the river bends.)

Boat set was not a major problem - we were down to fairly easy rolling on both sides - but from my seat in #6, I could see the stroke's blade. She missed so much water, and her stroke pace and timing failed so often that the rest of us got out of sequence frequently and had to slow things down to re-set. At about 3000 meters, the two boats that launched after us passed us. Both were high-school age mixed boats, and by 3000 meters, us old folks had expended most if not all of our energy. We also got caught in two sudden rain-storms, and it was freezing. But we sustained a sold 22 strokes/minute rating and crossed the finish line at 25 minutes and some-odd seconds.

I am not going to stay in the "JV" boat if I can help it. The constant changing line-ups, changing seat assignments, and coach's decisions about putting the girls on the bow pair and stern pair while sticking the guys in the engine room has not resulted in a well-tuned crew that is ready to perform, even if at a lower level than the "varsity" boat. I have a couple of weekends' practices before our next event to get promoted back to the better-performing boat. But I suspect that even there, I will not be assigned to the seat that I think is the most critical to boat performance, and one that I have done well in - the stroke seat.

Long post, but I also need to record my Measurement Sunday numbers.

Total weight down slightly, as well as LBM. All process trend-lines are pretty much flat at this point. Last week's eating was way off as I was out of town, but it didn't result in any major changes in terms of BF%, where I'm still holding about 10.3% long-term. Other body part measurements are holding consistent too. This coming week will be pushing for more protein and getting those calories in back up to the 2800+ level.

10/14 Session 21-1, Heavy Squat day

Squats --

Warm-ups: 45 x 5 x 2
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2

Working sets: 330 x 5, 3, 5; my form went a bit goofy on the middle set and rather than risk a bad move, I re-racked and called it an incomplete set. For the last set, though, everything went fine, so I must just guess that I may have bailed too quickly. I will go up 5# next time, but will execute sets of 3 reps. If I feel solid during that session, I may elect to go for the full 5 reps per, but I will wait and see how it goes.

Dips (press assist) -- 8 x 3 at supported body-weight; I'm going to reduce the amount of support next time by 10#.

Rack pulls (pull assist) -- (first time trying these)

Warm-ups: 95 x 5
    135 x 5

Working sets: 225 x 5 x 3; I'm going to use these along with halting deads, shrugs, and BB rows to get my pulling volume up, which should help me move my deadlifts a lot better. Go to 275 next time with these.

I'm also going to chat my rowing coach, who is familiar with the SS mode of strength training, to find out if he suggests I add power cleans to the routine; that is, improve my rowing power, can I train to improve my explosiveness. I'll be re-reading Sullivan on the topic and doing some research, too.

110/15 Session 21-2, Heavy Bench, Heavy Deadlift

Bench --

95 x 5
    135 x 3

Working sets: 165 x 5 x 3; solid form and good control; plus 5 next time.

Deadlift --

Warm-ups: 135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 3

Working set: 330 x 3; didn't make my full set, although I felt that I had made a solid 5 second grind at rep 4, but couldn't get it past mid-shin. It did get off the ground, so I feel good about that! Next time, stick with 330 and go for 4 reps; if I make 5 at that trial, I'll resume progression, but if only make 4, then I'll go one more session for a 5-rep trial.

Completed the session with the "golf scores" rowing exercise - 9 intervals of 250 meters in as few strokes as possible. Previously, averaged 10.6; managed to improve this time to 10.1. Active rest tomorrow, and I'll be doing my ergo rowing homework.

10/16 Active rest = Rowing (ergo)

20 minutes at a 20 s/m rate. My distance covered is going up nicely, and my average 500 meter split times have dropped from 2:35 to 2:15, which should translate well on the water.

10/17 Session 21-3, a volume squat and heavy press day, with a pulling assist exercise added.

Squat --

135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3

Working sets: 285 x 5 x 5

Press --

95 x 3
    105 x 1

Working sets: 124 x 3 x 3

Halting Deadlifts --

Working sets: 225 x 8 x 3

This was my first trial at halting deadlifts, and it felt fine. I know I kept the weight light for this and will add a lot more next time. I will also review the video to make sure I was doing it correctly.

My presses were solid at 3 x 3 @ 124 #, although I caught myself in set 1 on rep #2 using a bit of a leg bounce, almost like a push-press. I scolded myself, locked 'em up, and did the rep again for good measure.

Opened the session with another 20 minute rowing on the ergo at a 20 s/m rate. Knocked another second off my average 500 meter split time from yesterday's round.

Programming Note: Next week, I will be completing the transition to the Texas Method 4-day split, as modified by Reynolds and Hambrick using their MED approach. Day 1 will be a heavy squat (5 reps x 1), a volume deadlift (5 x 3), and a pressing assist exercise. Day 2 is heavy bench, volume press, and a pulling assist. Day 3 is heavy deadlift, volume squat, and a pressing assist. And Day 4 is a heavy press, volume bench, and a pulling assist. On volume, I'll stick with 5 x 5 for all exercises except deadlift, at about 80% of my current "5RM". Every week, all 4 major lifts will have an opportunity to establish a new "5RM".

Also, while I still want to get some more research done, especially talking to the master's rowing coach, I am considering augmenting the deadlifts with an opening round of power cleans. I am curious to find out if I can better my chances of being picked for the competitive rowing team next season if I can train and improve my "explosive" power generating capability. I intend to start off very light and work on really nailing down the technique while not hurting myself, if this is indeed the way to go to train for power. At 60+ years of age, I've seen too many recommendations to not go this way, but like I said, more research and asking around.

10/18 Session 21-4 Volume Bench and Volume Deadlift

Bench Press --

95 x 5

Working sets: 145 x 5 x 5

Deadlift --

185 x 5
    225 x 5

Working sets: 285 x 5 x 3

10/19 AM Rowing

Yes, and I've been assigned back into the "varsity" boat. Still in the engine room, but this is where the coach thinks the power of the crew needs to be sitting, so he has all guys here, and then the ladies at the bow and stern pairs. A solid session working on technique and form; I had some fine-tuning to accomplish, and then got some kudos from the coach as I was the only one who managed to execute one of his drills correctly.

Forecast for tomorrow is rain and cold, so I don't know if we're actually going t get on the water tomorrow. I have some ergo sessions "homework" to knock out and may try to get some in tonight.

BTW, I asked the coach, who is also working through the Starting Strength program (although I'm not sure where he is in the progression), whether I should consider adding power cleans to improve my explosive power output. He was non-committal in his answer, but did say he thought I was certainly strong enough already to be competitive. He suggested I continue working on my hamstring flexibility and just keep practicing the techniques and posture/form aspects. He did say power cleans wouldn't hurt, so I will be adding them in on my lifting, but starting at a very light weight and working on nailing down the movement pattern.

10/20 - well, rats! The rain has come on schedule, and the club cancelled the morning's row. I will just have to make it up on the ergo later today. Meantime, here's the weekly process summary:

Weight -- (spot) 194.4 (up 3.0 from last); (week's average) 192.6 (down 0.2 from last); (long-term avg) 193.3 (up 0.4 from last) -- these process limits for the long-term avg are still very wide (there are only 3 or 4 data points that comprise them, and I expect they'll narrow as more data gets recorded). At least the trend-lines are starting to show some movement again.

Lean mass -- (spot) 174.8 (up 2.3 from last); (lta) 173.5 (up 0.5 from last)

Fat mass -- (spot) 19.6 (up 0.7 from last); (lta) 19.8 (down 0.1 from last) for a BF% of approx 10.3%.

Based on today's numbers, here's what 2019 looks like so far: Since start of year, I've added 11.4 pounds, of which 9.0 is lean and 2.4 is fat. Since May, when I started SS-NLP, I've added 8.6 pounds, all of which is showing as lean mass. It sounds kind of on the outer edge of feasible, but could be representative of an almost "newbie" environment for me, since this is really the first program in which gaining strength as a means of adjusting body composition is not inhibited by wanting to look like the magazine cover models at Train or Muscle & Fitness, etc. So, I'm holding on to the idea of "not caring" about visible abs. Even so, my body seems to be burning and balancing pretty well, and I think I need to continue to drive my food intake cals up.

Other body-part measures are static or within the limits of normal variation, which is kinda boring. Looking forward to starting the next phase tomorrow - although, since I'm not rowing today, maybe I'll jump on it early. LOL!

Any insights on your strength gains for 2019 as well with all that extra LBM?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared_T View Post
    Any insights on your strength gains for 2019 as well with all that extra LBM?
    Well, so far the progression has been pretty much "linear", although with vacations and re-sets and other "life happens" stuff, it's hard to make a solid correlation. But, starting tomorrow, as I make my transition to the new phase, there will be an opportunity every week to test my 5RM in each of the 4 main lifts. I have my end-of-year goals for them, and we'll see how close I come.

Qualitatively, I feel safe in asserting a very strong correlation (improvement) using the SS techniques. Prior to this, my squats had never really approached full depth; my deadlifts had done well but only because I used a trap bar to do them; I was further along on the bench, but rarely touched my chest with the bar; and overhead press? - forget it. I played it safe sitting on a bench and using dumbbells, and even then was nowhere near the amount of weight I am currently pressing with good form. It was an effective exercise methodology, even as shortened as it was, because it enabled me to lose fat and get mobile again. And, it led to investigating other methods and techniques, which led to SS.

I'll be sure to keep posting my reports here, and hope that you achieve the goals you have for yourself as well. Thanks for peaking in.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast