• starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/14, Session 6-1:

Squats

Warm-ups -- 5 x 2 @ 45
    5 x 1 @ 95
    5 x 1 @ 135
    3 x 1 @ 185
    2 x 1 @ 225

Working -- 262.5, 3*, 5, 5; had to give myself a "strike" on the first set. New shoes felt okay, but on the first post-warm-up set, I spent entirely too much time wiggling around under the bar before starting the rep, because they just felt different. Also, I allowed myself about 3:30 rest after the last warm-up, so might not have been fully rested and ready to go for it. So, although I got the second and third sets with no problem and good depth, I'm going to re-do this weight next session and make sure that I clear all the variables out -- rest 5 minutes between working sets, and by then I should be used to the new shoes so no goofing around with the bar on the back. I'd like to hope that I can resume a plus-5 increment increase once I've gotten used to them, but we'll see how it goes.

Press

Warm-ups -- 5 x 2 @ 45
    3 x 1 @ 75

Working -- 5 x 3 @ 88; good form, continue at plus-2 next session. Allowed 4 minutes between working sets. BTW, since the re-set, I've been doing these in "1.0" style. I feel like I could go much faster back up to the last best weight I was using, but I don't want to get greedy and miss some opportunities to get stronger. I believe the suggested movement pattern changes to "2.0" once the weight hits about 100 pounds.

Deadlift

Warm-ups -- 5 x 1 @ 135
    5 x 1 @ 185
    5 x 1 @ 225
    5 x 1 @ 265

I allowed about 2 minutes rest between each of the warm-up sets, and 5 full minutes before the working set.

Working -- 5 x 1 @ 295; movement pattern continues to feel very solid, and the new shoes seemed to provide extra stability. Pace of the lift was slower, but I got 'em all without losing my form. Plus-5 next time. Probably doesn't make any sense to continue to record these new successes as "PR for reps", since everything above 285 with a straight bar is new "best lift" territory for me.
    Last edited by Bruce Ware; 06-17-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: convert to Rip's rep x set report format

6/15 -- Rowing. Continued technique drills with a new coxswain and a couple of new rowers; I'm still having fun assigned to stroke seat, and my team-mates seem to think I'm pretty solid there. Found out the novice coach knows Starting Strength - I think he uses the techniques for himself. Today's drill was practicing suspension, and he told me to think of it as "hip drahve"! Emphasis on the "drahve".
    LOL.

6/16 Measurement Sunday

Weight: 188.0, week's avg 187.5 (up 0.5 from last), long-term avg 186.9 (up 0.2)

BF%: 10.55% (19.8 pounds, up 1.5 from last week), long-term avg 10.3%

Lean mass est: 168.2 pounds (down 1.1 from last week), long-term avg 167.7 (up 0.2)

Avg daily cals consumed: 2540 (100 less than last week)

Still short on calorie uptake. Must eat more.

6/17, session 6-2

Squat

Warm-ups -- 45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5 x 1
    135 x 5 x 1
    185 x 3 x 1
    225 x 2 x 1

Working sets -- 262.5 x 5 x 3; solid form, good depth; allowed 5 minutes between working sets; some exogenous (outside of training session) factors may have helped -- since I was able to tele-work today, I was also able to get a couple of good solid meals in at breakfast and lunch (workout was still in late afternoon; when I'm at work, I don't really get the time to eat, so when I get home, generally, it's a quick light snack, pre-workout formula, and right into the basement/gym). Another factor is certainly related to my new lifting shoes; they provided excellent stability, and this time with them on, I was more confident of how the felt, so didn't waste any time under the bar like last Friday's session. Finally, one last factor to consider: the pre-workout formula -- I'd been a long-term customer of "company j" and that formula, but over the last couple of weeks, had been using a sample of "company l" formula, and I just don't think it was as effective as "j". I finished the "l" sample last week, and was back on "j" today, and it just seemed to provide a better substrate. OK, enough of that. I'll go plus-2.5 again next session to get to 265.

Bench Press

Warm-ups -- 45 x 5 x 2
    100 x 5 x 1
    135 x 3 x 1

Working sets -- 172 x 5 x 3; solid form and good chest-touch, although the pressing movement was very slow, so I am sure that this is getting close to max; allowed 4 minutes between working sets. Plus-2 next time.

Deadlift

Warm-ups -- 135 x 5 x 1
    185 x 5 x 1
    225 x 3 x 1
    265 x 2 x 1

Working set -- 300 x 5 x 1; yeah, yeah!; 5 minutes between last warm-up and working set. Going on to plus-5 next time.

6/18 Rowing was cancelled due to thunderstorms in the area. Plan to get strength training session 6-3 in the morning tomorrow.

6/19 Session 6-3

Squat

Warm-ups -- 45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2

Working sets -- 265 x 5 x 3; good form for all sets, 5 minutes inter-set rest; continue progression at plus-3.

Press

Warm-ups -- 45 x 5 x 2
    75 x 3

Working sets -- 90 x 5 x 3; solid 1.0 form, 4 minutes inter-set rest; continue progression at plus-2.

Deadlift

Warm-ups -- 135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

Working set -- 305 x 5; good form, bar is moving a little more slowly, and I re-set full position between reps, no more than 2 or 3 seconds between reps; 5 minutes rest after last warm-up set; continue progression at plus-5.

I had set some preliminary short-term goals for this NLP, based on my rounded-up body-weight of 190, and based on the notion that a strong lifter "ought to" be able to lift the following:

Squat (2.0 x body-weight = 380); short-term target is 70% = 265. Goal accomplished. Next goal = 80% = 305. Target date = 9/27.
    Bench (1.5 x body-weight = 285); short-term target is 60% = 170. Goal accomplished. Next goal = 70% = 200. Target date = 9/27.
    Press (1.0 x body-weight = 190); short-term goal is 60% = 115; still working toward this goal. I'd been there before, but with the re-set and improvements in form, I'm considering this as still in progress. Target date = 7/31.
    Deadlift (2.5 x body-weight = 475); short-term goal is 70% = 335; still working toward this goal. Target date = 7/31.

These short-term goals still in progress might miss the 7/31 target date, because beginning on 6/26, I'll be on family vacation and away from barbell for 10 days. That's missing 5 working sessions, and I expect to use a 15% to 20% re-set to recover.

6/20 - Rowing was cancelled again due to thunderstorms; typical for this region in summer. So, I went into my basement gym and hopped on to my Concept2 indoor rowing machine, and got 20 minutes of fairly easy conditioning exercise.

6/21 Session 7-1

Squat --

Warm-ups: 45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2

Working set: 268 x 5 x 3; solid form and good tempo; plus-4 for next session.

Bench Press --

Warm-ups: 45 x 5 x 2
    100 x 5
    135 x 3

Working sets: 174 x 2, 3, 3; first set, I bailed out a bit too soon; for the second and third sets, I at least hung in with a solid 5 second grind at the failure points, so I don't feel too bad about missing these. This is probably the ideal time to get some legitimate strikes here, since this is the last bench session before going away on vacation next week. I'll be needing a re-set just for being away for 10 days.

Deadlift --

Warm-ups: 135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

Working set: 310 x 3 F; rep 3 was a great grind to get it off the ground, and rep 4 was just unable to get much past lift-off before I ran out of gas. I'll do this weight again next session (which will be Monday, and the last session before vacation).

6/22 - a super Saturday morning on the water! Rowing drills and improvements in drive technique. We had a few new people in the boat, and the first bunch of drills were shit, but once the coach recognized that he had some rowers who were - let's say - less than fully engaged in what they were supposed to be doing, he adjusted the drills and we got some good mileage out of practice. And we also had our third coxswain, with all the terminology changes and instructional technique differences that we've seen before with the previous two adding to the confusion. The more stable crew members - myself, a couple of the other guys and 2 of the girls - were solid and performed well. I guess this constant flux of people is going to be usual and routine over the summer. I have one more session scheduled - Tuesday eve - before taking off for vacation, so I'll be contributing to that flux for the 10 days after that.

starting strength coach development program
    6/23 Measurement Sunday

Weight: 188.2 (up 0.2 from last), week's avg 188.4 (up 0.9 from last), long-term avg 187.1 (up 0.2)

BF%: spot 9.89% (18.6 pounds, down 1.2 from last week), long-term avg 10.2%

Lean mass est: 169.6 pounds (up 1.4 from last week), long-term avg 168.0 (up 0.3)

Avg daily cals consumed: 2510 (30 less than last week, dammit!; and here I thought I was eating more).

Still short on calorie uptake. Must eat more. I've been gradually adding in more whole milk (regular and chocolate) and aiming to drink a protein shake just before bed-time. I had a couple of days when my cals intake were really higher than usual, which is okay. Surprisingly, the whole milk intake has not resulted in a higher daily intake of cals from fat. Protein did go up a bit, but not nearly as much as I want. And carbs are hitting the right levels for now. Clearly, then, I need to increase my total intake as well as continue to boost protein.

Down-side, I will be going on vacation on Wednesday; training on Monday, rowing on Tuesday, but then nothing much -- except some good walking, tourist-style -- for about 10 days. And I'm not exactly sure how the eating is going to work out, as it'll be some very different cuisine choices, I am sure. Well, nothing for it then but to deal with it as best as possible and hit it hard when I return.

As to body-part measurements, most everything is still looking like operating within normal variation. My waist-line girth has gone up slightly -- up to 32.8 inches now -- but my belly looks flatter; the most visible change is that my lower back just above the hips appears to be wider, which I guess is an indication of the increasing size of the erector spinae muscles. Which makes sense given the muscles most involved in squatting and deadlifting. Mentally and emotionally, I'm still working through the notion of getting away from the "ideal physique" mode of thinking; I don't want my belly area to get fluffy, and I don't want the waist to be so wide as to lose that "V-taper" aesthetic.
    Last edited by Bruce Ware; 06-23-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added text about body-part measurements

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast