starting strength gym
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: BWare's Novice Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    7/16 - Rowing. Kind of a short session for me, as I was selected to swap out and ride the launch at the mid-point of the session. It was my first time swapping out, and I guess I was over-due to take a turn. LOL. OK, so I didn't miss much, as the coach told me while I was in the launch that he was very impressed about the speed with which my rowing has improved, and that I kept a real nice rhythm in the stroke seat.

Upside of riding the launch was my ability to view the performance of the boat and crew from a bigger perspective, and I could see where individual rowers and the crew as a team were struggling with balance and posture issues. Great learning experience.

Plus, the guy who swapped in and took on stroke said afterward, "never again!" It's not as easy as I make it look.

I gave myself about 40 minutes of rowing credit in these drills.

7/17 Session 9--2

Squat --

Warm-ups: 45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2
    255 x 1

Working set: 275 x 5 x 3; achieved post-vacation re-set; resume linear progression at +5.

Bench Press --

95 x 5
    135 x 3

Working sets: 165 x 5 x 3; a major challenge, plus 5 next time, and I will keep working on refining my leg-drive to get them; planned re-set ends at 175.

Deadlift --

Warm-ups: 135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

Working set: 315 x 4; STRIKE 1; a 5-second grind to get rep #4 left me with nothing in the tank to get #5, will try again on Friday.

7/18 Rowing -- hotter than the hinges of hell, but I was back in stroke for the whole mission; some good technique drills, which were fine, but then long-duration full rowing, which in the heat and humidity just crushed me. I'm sure the rest of the 8 were in as bad a situation as me, but they're all behind me and I'm trying to set the rhythm and power for the boat, and could only hope that I wasn't killing them. Coach did say how much improvement in my form and technique he has observed, so that was nice.

7/19 - Skipped due to scheduling conflict.

7/20 Rowing (morning) -- a good session with many drills. I was asked to switch out of stroke for training purposes, and I was able to relax and enjoy the activity, rather than drive the boat. Very hot and humid still, but at least we were done by 0900.

7/20 (evening) Session 9--3

Since I had to miss Friday's training session, I decided to do it this evening. I figured I'd had about 8 hours after the morning's row to recover, so I should not have too much trouble getting in the workout.

Squat --

95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2
    255 x 1

Working sets: 280 x 5 x 3; new PR sets across; plus 5 next time.

Press --

75 x 3

Working sets: 95 x 5 x 3; strict form still working great, plus 5 next time.

Deadlift --

185 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

Working set: 315 FFFFF; second try at this weight; even though I allowed 5 full minutes after last warm-up to recover, I was not even able to grind the bar off the ground. I think I had enough calories to support the workout, but it is possible that the rowing in the morning was still un-recovered. I have one more trial at this weight on Monday; a third strike will trigger a 10% reduction and re-set for this exercise, and the re-set will increment by 5's (jumping by 10'2 from the vacation re-set may have been too ambitious). Monday will also be a challenge on the bench press, as I feel I am getting close to hitting my current limit there.

7/21 Measurement Sunday

Body weight metrics:
    Spot 190.6 (up 1.2 from last week; up 7.6 from start of 2019; up 4.8 from start of NLP)
    Week's average 190.0 (down 0.3 from last week)
    Long-term average 189.8; under SPC rules, today's number represents a process shift upwards from the previous LTA, almost a full pound upwards

Lean mass 171.7 (up 0.1 from last week; up 5.9 from start of 2019; up 5.5 from start of NLP)
    Fat mass 18.9 (up 1.1 from last week; up 1.7 from start of 2019; down 0.7 from start of NLP)
    LTA is 170.8; also under SPC rules, this number is a shift up almost 2 pounds from previous LTA

Fat weight is holding stable at just under 19 pounds (about 10% BF) while the trend-lines for total weight and lean mass are very strongly pointing upwards.

Body-part measurements are stable within the normal limits of variation. I feel like my waist-line is a bit puffy, and want to keep that from growing too much, or at least keep the belly flatter.

Based on these new LTAs, the calorie calculator in MyFitnessPal says I should be aiming for 2800 calories intake a day. I'm currently averaging about 2650, so if I can add more protein and carb without adding more dietary fat, I should be able to hit that.

7/22 Session 10--1

Squat --

95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2
    255 x 1

Working sets: 285 x 5 x 3; first time with my new Dominion Strength belt! and it worked great! PR for sets across. Plus 5 next time.

Bench Press --

95 x 5
    135 x 3

Working sets: 170 1,F,F; the belt did not seem to help here, but I was deeply concerned that this was going to be a strike either way, simply because last time's 165 was so hard.

Deadlift --

185 x 5
    225 x 5
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

Working set: 315 F; this is third strike at this weight.

Per my reading of Sullivan, I am now moving on to the next novice level, which will involve incorporating some assistance exercises to get me past the sticking points, as well as a light squat day to give me more "gas" for deadlifting.

On Wednesday, I'll use a weight for squat at about 80% of my working weight; I will continue my current progression with the Press; and my deadlift will re-start its progression at a 10% re-set reduction from today's strike weight. Friday's session will jump back up to my target working weight for squats, a bench press weight re-starting re-set at a 10% reduction from today's strike weight, and barbell rows as a pulling replacement. And next week, I'll be adding in some more assistance exercises to improve my upper body strength, both from a pressing and a pulling perspective. Sullivan indicates that this could facilitate my resuming a linear progression for a few more weeks, before needing to make some additional changes in the routine to allow myself a better chance at recovery and adaptation.

7/23 - Rowing. My first time in seat #1, the bow. Not the best session I've ever had. It seemed that I was constantly fighting to stay with the rest of the crew, not able to work on my technique, rhythm, length, or anything else. I want to be as available as possible - learn how to sweep on both sides or in any seat - but my body movement patterns most definitely favor the port-side rowing - and I hope coach elects to put me back in stroke, because I really enjoyed that.

7/24 - Session 10--2, first session using Sullivan's early novice 2b variation - and today was a light squat day.

Squat (light) --

135 x 5
    185 x 3
    215 x 2

Working sets: 235 x 5 x 3; fine, this light squat weight will be a percentage (~80%) of the following session's target; next session (Friday) target is 290.

Press --

75 x 3

Working sets: 100 x 5 x 3; form is still very solid using 1.0; will add 5 pounds next time.

Deadlift --

185 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 3

Working set: 285 x 5; add 5 next time.

starting strength coach development program
    7/25 - Rowing. Back up at stroke seat, and it feels like coming home. I got some great opportunity to work on my body-over and recovery, getting more length in the run between strokes. I managed to hit the lesson plan's target of 20 to 22 strokes per minute, and we did a lot of rowing by 6's drills. I am giving myself about 60 minutes of cardio credit for this session.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast