starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Adam! It's definitely doing the job of getting me back to where I was, and then some. It's definitely starting to slow down, but it's been great to get at least a couple of PRs out of it. Definitely think it's getting close to the end, if today was any indication.

6/25/19
    Squats 345x5x3 (sets across PR)
    Press 155x5x3 (5PR)
    Deadlift 395x4x1 (FAIL)

So I've just had a bunch going on the last few days, and haven't been to the gym since Wednesday. Wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Kind of right on that borderline of possibly having detrained a little. Got my squats done, but they were definitely a grind. Presses too. I really leaned on the fine fellows of the Wu Tang Clan today. I dare you to miss a rep when you've got RZA yelling at you to "bring da mothafuckin' ruckus." Fortunately, I was able to bring a sufficient quantity of ruckus to my squats and presses, grindy though they may have been. Deadlift not so much. Possible mitigating factor though! Basically, after rep 1 I had a savage burp brewing. I was taking a few breaths over the bar between reps, hoping it would escape. It didn't. By rep 4, I was worried that I might puke all over the platform. I stood up, worked it out, got back down to the bar, and gave it a go, feeling like my belt was a notch looser. It was not to be. Either I just took to much time between reps and let myself get gassed, or my back was already gassed from squatting. I won't make it back to the gym until Friday. We'll see how that goes, but it may be coming time to start considering some modifications to the program. Last time I went from LP to intermediate, I just made a wholesale switch to 4 day TM. This time I'm going to try more of a minimum effective dose transition to HLM.
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 06-26-2019 at 09:03 AM.

6/28/19
    Light squats 270x5x2
    Bench 225x5x3 (5PR)
    Chins 12, 10, 8

Two motha fuckin' plates for fahves!!! Great milestone to hit. Last rep of the first set was a real grinder, but the other two sets went just fine. Go figure. It's weird that I've never actually hit this. I've lifted this or more for fewer reps plenty of times, but whenever 225x5 was coming up in the program I've hit some kind of set back. Other than that, I made it a light squat day because I've been having a pretty active week. Played softball Monday, trained Tuesday, then softball Wednesday and Thursday. Managed to tweak a quad trying to beat out a grounder in the last game. Plus I had to keep it kind of short because I had plans last night. Made my pulls chins for the same reasons. I'll be back to the regularly scheduled programming on Monday.

7/1/19
    Squats 350x5x3 (sets across PR)
    Press 157.5x5x3 (5PR)
    Power cleans 155x3x5

Gym was way busier than I thought it'd be on Canada Day! Anyways, got my squats done without too much drama, and this is only 5 lbs off my best ever set of 5. That was a single set on intensity day. Got some nice feedback from one of the trainers too. He powerlifts, I've seen him LBBS in the mid 400s and pull in 500s, familiar with SS. More on the same page than most of the other trainers. We were chatting a bit between sets, and he watched my last one. Told me my bar path was on a rail, even grinding out the last couple. Nice to hear because I haven't taken video in a while. Another press PR, grindy. Power cleans were a lot better than last time, but still not as consistent as I'd like. When I posted a form check, the main advice was to just get more weight on the bar, so I took a couple of bigger jumps. I don't think I had my form quite consistent enough to be that aggressive. I may back off to 145, where my last warm up felt just fine, and then work my way back up in 2.5 lbs jumps. Won't take long and I think it'll help my technique.

7/3/19
    Light squats 275x5x3
    Bench 227.5x5x3 (5PR)
    Deadlift 395x5x1

Got another bench PR. First two sets were no problem. Last rep of the last set was a real grind. Spotter got his hands out ready to help, but I'm pretty sure he didn't touch the bar so I'm counting it. He's a big, strong, experienced lifter so he wasn't looking to steal my rep. Hit my deadlifts no problem today, tying a PR. I think putting it after my light squats is key, and what I plan to do when I switch to an HLM, so I think I'll just go ahead with that from here on out. Monday PC, Wednesday heavy deads, Friday 2x5 at 80% of Wednesday. My lower back just feels a lot stronger when I haven't just squatted heavy.

7/5/19
    Press 160x5x3 (5PR)
    Squats 355x5x3 (sets across PR)
    Deadlift 315x5x2

Split my workout up today, because I was coaching my dad at his gym this morning. He squatted the big wheels for the first time! Figured that I might as well get my presses in while we were at it. Lot of grinding and layback to get it done, but got it done. Went to my own gym for squats and deads this afternoon. This ties my best set of five squats, but for sets across this time. It was a serious grind, but I think I'll be able to get 360 on Monday for a new PR. I've officially matched or exceeded PRs on everything but the power clean on this second run at LP. Didn't really expect that! I thought it would get me close for most lifts, but that I might have to switch to intermediate programming to make up the last little bit on at least a couple of lifts. I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least!

7/8/19
    Squats 360x5x3 (5PR)
    Bench 230x5x3 (5PR)
    Power cleans 145x3x5

Squat PR!!! Been hitting sets across PRs for the last little bit, but this is a brand new five rep PR. My schedule is going to be a little messed up this week, but I'm going to figure out a way to swing it so that I'm pulling 400x5 at some point. That'll be a new deadlift PR, which will complete the set of new PRs on this run of LP (PC doesn't count because I suck at it and am more worried about learning to do it right than setting PRs.) Got another bench PR today too. Pretty much par for the course recently. A couple of super slow, grindy reps, but they got up. Backed off the power clean a bit to work on better form. For the most part, I think it was decent. I think working up in smaller jumps will be better than aggressively pushing the weight up like I'd been trying.

7/11/19
    Deadlift 400x5x1 (5PR)
    Chins BWx14,10,10

So I had an out of town funeral that messed up my schedule this week. Really wanted to hit this deadlift PR, but also didn't want to attempt it after squatting heavy. Decided to split up my workouts. Deadlift today, with some chins just because. Squat and press tomorrow. Did the deadlift first because I just hit a legit five rep PR on squats, and this is my first in a while on deads. Hopefully I'm recovered enough tomorrow to hit 365x5 on squats. Think I'll be fine. I almost loaded up four plates just because, but didn't. In hindsight it would have gone no problem. Hopefully that means my low back will be fine for some heavy squats tomorrow. Stay tuned!

7/14/19
    Squats 365x5x3 (5PR) Video

Not great on consistency this week, but managed to get my squats in on a tight schedule today. Tomorrow will be for presses and power cleans, and then should be back on the usual schedule after that. This was good and hard. Probably don't have many more jumps left, so I'm debating whether or not to go to a top set and back offs preemptively, wait until I fail, or just go ahead and switch to the HLM I have planned. This second run at LP has been good to me, but it's definitely nearing the end!

Killer work, man. You've surpassed me in 5s! (355x5x3 is my best recorded). I've got 15 reps at 365, so we're even for volume, but mine were triples, so I think I have to take my hat off to you on this one. And your form looks miles better than mine. Great work mate!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Geoff! I've been pleasantly surprised with how well this second run of LP has gone. Still have quite a ways to go to catch you on the other lifts though!

7/17/19
    Light squats 280x5x2
    Press 162.5x5,4,4,2 (5PR)
    Deadlift 405x5x1 (5PR)

A bit of a mixed bag today! Wasn't feeling my strongest, but still managed to get a quality workout in, despite some misses. Even light squats didn't feel awesome today, so I was a bit nervous about how the rest of the workout would go. Managed to get my first set of presses, but only got four on the next two, with a double at the end just to complete the 15 reps. Still got a five rep and four rep PRs, so can't be totally bummed about the misses. I'll try it again next time. Deadlifts were interesting. I managed to burn the inside of my elbow pretty good, right where my knees are supposed to go. Getting into a good position was rather painful, and I was favouring it a bit. Widened my grip just a little. Still, I managed to hit the 405x5 milestone which was pretty awesome. According to many statements previously made by Coach Santana in the nutrition forum, I'm pretty sure this means I officially have the physique of a Greek god.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast