starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

Default Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/11/19

Been sick as hell for the last couple of weeks, barely eating anything. Lost almost 10 lbs of body weight, and that much or more on all my lifts. Going to do a run of LP to get back to where I was, and hopefully even further. My first run at LP was imperfect to say the least, so I'm going to try to do a better job of it this time and see where it gets me.

Sorry about the illness; that's no good.

I'm curious to see how this turns out though!

Sorry to hear.
    At least it won't take long to get back to where you were.

Thanks guys! Sucks to have taken the step backwards, but kind of excited to see what I can do with another go at LP. I don't expect it to be long before I get back to roughly where I was, but I'm hoping I might be able to take it even further with what I've learned since my first go around.

5/13/19
    Squats 255x5x3
    Deadlift 315x5x1

First official workout of my comeback LP. Sort of. Only did squats and deads because I did both presses yesterday. Wednesday will be the first three lift workout. Basically just followed the layoff due to illness protocol in PPST, because it pretty much described my situation perfectly. Good thing I referred back to it, because I probably would have come in more aggressively, and this was plenty. Squats were pretty smooth, but deadlifts at 315 felt heavier than they have since the first time I pulled them. Was easy breezy volume day weight a couple of weeks ago, today it felt like a legit work set. Sigh...

Going to go for a couple of 20 lbs jumps, then maybe a 10, then maybe 5s with a light day. I'm not going to rush to get myself stuck, because I'm really interested in seeing if I can use this LP to get further than I was before the layoff. Also, I'm stoked to power clean again!

Probably wise to see how you're feeling each workout to decide how much weight to add.
    20 pounds might be too much after a long illness.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    Probably wise to see how you're feeling each workout to decide how much weight to add.
    20 pounds might be too much after a long illness.
    That's true pos. Discretion is the better part of valour, after all. I was just going off what PPST lays out, and which seems fairly reasonable given where I was before. Probably shouldn't make quite such a rigid plan in advance though. On the plus side, I can walk comfortably today, so that's cool.

That's a great sign.
    Squats can be a killer with DOMS.

5/15/19
    Squats 275x5x3
    Bench 205x5x3
    PC complex 95x3x3
    PC 95x3x2

Well, the DOMS was real today. Made the 20 lbs jump on the squat though, and it wasn't a problem. Knocked them out pretty easily on shorter rest than I'd usually take for work sets. I'll see how I feel about another 20 lbs jump on Friday. Realized that I lost enough weight while I was sick that I could tighten my belt an extra notch, so there's that. Really, I probably should have taken a bit more off the bench, because it felt pretty heavy today for sets across. Ego wouldn't permit me to put less than 205 on the bar, though. Worked on re-learning the power clean. Haven't done it for months. For the most part, I think it was actually half decent, and I really enjoy it. Whenever I transition back to intermediate programming, I think I'll try to do it in a way that allows room for the power clean.

starting strength coach development program
    5/17/19
    Squats 295x5x3
    Press 137.5x5x3
    Deadlift 335x5x1

Feeling like I'm getting my groove back! Another 20 lbs on squats and deads felt just fine. In the interest of seeing how far I can take this, I'll go down to 5 lbs jumps with a light day on squats, but I'll go up to 355 next deadlift day. I could probably stand a couple of bigger jumps on the press, but I'd probably end up with the upper body lifts stuck well before squats and deads, so I'll just keep running with 2.5 lbs for now. Still feeling optimistic about this second go at LP!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast