starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking good.

Hey brother, for ease of reference, can you post your top-end scores for sets across from LP1?

Yeah man, no sweat.

Squat: 300x5
    Press: 140x3
    Deadlift: 330x5
    Bench: 200x5

Now this wasn't a true end of LP. I switched to intermediate earlier than I could have, mostly to make my workouts shorter on the 4 day split as I started back to work after the summer off (teacher life). I've also improved my form a lot since, and learned how to grind a lot more effectively than I did back then. So I'm more or less starting this second go at LP where my first one left off, and hoping that my experience since will let me take it a bit further than I did the first time. At least it should get me right back to where I was before I got sick. I could definitely rush it and get back there sooner, but I'm going to see if a slower approach lets me get ahead of where I was.

5/20/19
    Squats 305x5x3
    Bench 207.5x5x3
    Power clean 115x3x5

Decided to do a 10 lbs jump again, despite being a little hungover and sleep deprived from some shenanigans last night. Only 5 lbs from here on out, I swear. Wednesday will be a light squat day too. Bench was a bit of a grind, but manageable. Definitely think there's a few more jumps there before I start worrying about missing reps. I think power cleans were actually pretty decent! First three sets felt better than the last two. Jumping early used to be my biggest problem, so I'm focusing on hitting the mid thigh trigger point on every rep. That and avoiding the dreaded arm pull!

5/22/19
    BW: 218
    Light squats 245x5x2
    Press 140x5x3
    Deadlift 355x5x1

Fuck I love light squat days! Slowed them down a bit and really focused on form, but these were a nice break. Press felt strong today. Last press day there was a bit of grind, but none today. Took another 20 lbs jump on deadlifts, and it went just fine. Probably drop down to 10 lbs jumps for the next couple. Definitely liked how the light squat day made for a much shorter workout.

5/24/19
    Squats 310x5x3
    Bench 210x5x3
    Power cleans 135x3x5

Not much to report here. Squats were fine, bench was fine, and power cleans were... fine? The first and last two sets felt pretty solid. For some reason, the third was a shit show. Kept jumping at the knees. Grabbed a spare bar and practiced form between sets, and sorted it out for the last two. I'll be micro loading them from here on out.

I find with power cleans that my first working set is my worst. Weight is up from last warmup, and I'm pretty sure my brain forgets that I want to jump hard, not "hard enough," which is often underestimated. By the 2nd set I'm much better. That said, I've moved on to rows for my light pull and follow up with power cleans 3x3 because I just like them. I'm glad to see you working on them again as you ramp back up to an intermediate program.

5/25/19
    Power clean practice 115x1xA bunch
    Chins 12, 8, 8

This is my first deviation from the program. I have nothing but time to myself on Saturdays, and not hitting the gym feels weird. Decided to go practice some power cleans and hit some chins, just because I haven't done them in a while. Was happy I still had 12 in me on the first set. The power cleans weren't meant to produce an actual training stress, just to practice the movement. I don't think today's flirtation with NDTP will hurt my recovery too terribly. I might keep this as a little Saturday routine for the time being.

5/27/19
    BW: 214 Seems to jump around a lot. Not sure if it's me, the shitty gym scale, or the inconsistency of when and under what circumstances I weigh in.
    Squats 315x5x3
    Press 142.5x5x3
    Deadlift 365x5x1

Well I'm damn near back up to where my volume day fahves were before I got sick. I'll hit 320x5x3 on Friday, and after that it's sets across PRs. Press was smooth and almost devoid of lay back, so it's coming back quite nicely. Took a 10 lbs jump on the deadlift this time, and it was fine. Probably have another couple of them to grab. Want to push the deadlift most aggressively so it stays well ahead of my squat. I also made a fun discovery today. After watching Paul Horn's hook grip video, I decided to give it a try on my warm ups. Made it up to 335, but chickened out on trying to use it for my work set. I like the idea of converting to hook grip, so I'm going to keep working on it during warm ups until I feel confident enough to try it on work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    5/29/2019
    Light squats 250x5x2
    Bench 212.5x5x3
    Power cleans 137.5x3x5

Well I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. The girlfriend was out partying with some friends until late, so only got about 4 hours sleep, and I managed to walk into my coffee table, so my knee was barking. I was real glad it was a light day. Got all my shit done though. Light squats are light, so all good there. Bench still feels like it has a bit of room to keep going up. This was actually only 5 lbs off a 5 rep PR, so I should match that next Friday, and hopefully surpass it the week after. Power cleans were mostly passable today, I think. Jumped early on a couple of reps, probably arm pulled a couple, but overall I'll take it!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast