starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking good man. Got me thinking maybe a LP runback is in order as well. Not sure yet.

Of course if I do steal your idea I'll be sure to give you absolutely no credit. :P

Happy training, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Looking good man. Got me thinking maybe a LP runback is in order as well. Not sure yet.

Of course if I do steal your idea I'll be sure to give you absolutely no credit. :P

Happy training, brother!
    Haha no credit would be deserved. Pretty sure I didn't invent LPing your way back after a life induced strength loss. Just the first time I've actually had to do it! So far so good!

5/31/19
    Squats 320x5x3
    Press 145x5x3
    Deadlift 375x5x1

Well this kind of ties a sets across squat PR. I've hit it for an intensity day set of 5, and eventually a volume day 5x5, so this is somewhere in between. Monday will be the heaviest squats I've ever hit for sets across, and I'm not worried about getting them. Press was pretty smooth again. I'd have to check what my best 5 is, but it's getting pretty close. Took another 10 lbs jump on the deadlift, and it felt hard! 395x5 is my 5 rep PR, so I should probably go down to 5 lbs jumps now. My vision was blurring on the last two reps which is new haha.

On a fun note, there's a new mastodon at my Canadian ubiquitous globogym who I watched low bar 485x5 today. I've seen him pull 585+ too. Was talking with him and another guy, and they both have experience with SS. Didn't get into what kind of programming he's doing these days, but he started with LP. Nice to find a couple more kindred spirits among the hordes of unenlightened!

6/1/19
    Power cleans from knees 115x2x5
    Chins 25x5x5

Kept up with my little Saturday mini workout. Power clean practice, focusing on hitting the trigger point and avoiding arm pull by internally rotating my elbows. Seemed to go pretty well. Decided to do some weighted chins. Probably alternate between weighted and unweighted each week for the time being.

Impressive weights - at least from where I'm standing! It's good to know where I could potentially end up.

Alex

You’re making great progress.
    You must be happy with that.

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm pretty happy with how this is going. It's a little frustrating because a couple of life related setbacks and a poor programming decision or two have meant I've been spinning my wheels in some respects for the last few months. I'd like to be further ahead than I am, given that I've been at this for a year or so by now. Still, at this rate I should be roughly back where I was in another couple of weeks, and from there it'll hopefully be onwards and upwards!

Good stuff!! Curious, how long ago was your first LP and how long did it last?

Quote Originally Posted by ss-mike View Post
    Good stuff!! Curious, how long ago was your first LP and how long did it last?
    It started last spring (I'd have to check exactly when) and went until September. I ran it like shit though. I kind of treated it like just another program to try and tinker with as I saw fit, not a sacred mission to get as strong as possible. It wasn't until I became more active here that I realized how much more I could have been getting out of it. Started too heavy, got myself stuck too soon, didn't eat enough initially, did some resets, didn't properly follow late novice protocols, etc. Still, I got my squats and deads into the 300s and hit 200x5 on the bench, so when work started back up in the fall I switched (prematurely) to a 4 day split to make my workouts shorter. Made steady weekly progress on that for a while, particularly with squats and deads. Hit a wall with my presses after another illness back in January, and I switched my programming up, but backed off a bit too much. Was finally getting back to hitting PRs and got sick again! This time I decided to LP back up instead of just resuming intermediate programming, and decided to do it right this time.

So basically, when I'm offering you guys tips, it's not because I ran the perfect LP. It's because I want you guys to do it better than I did!
    Last edited by Dillon Spencer; 06-03-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo that made me sound like an asshole

6/3/19
    Squats 325x5x3 (sets across PR)
    Bench 215x5x3
    Power cleans 140x3x5

Well this is something of a PR! Still 30 lbs of my 5 rep PR, but the most I've ever done for sets across. I'll take it! Also pretty sure I'll tie a bench PR on Friday, but I'd have to go back and check to be certain. Power cleans felt pretty good today. A couple of wonky reps. Managed to smash myself in the windpipe on one rep, so that was cool. Last rep of the night felt like the best though, so that's something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    It started last spring (I'd have to check exactly when) and went until September. I ran it like shit though. I kind of treated it like just another program to try and tinker with as I saw fit, not a sacred mission to get as strong as possible. It wasn't until I became more active here that I realized how much more I could have been getting out of it. Started too heavy, got myself stuck too soon, didn't eat enough initially, did some resets, didn't properly follow late novice protocols, etc. Still, I got my squats and deads into the 300s and hit 200x5 on the bench, so when work started back up in the fall I switched (prematurely) to a 4 day split to make my workouts shorter. Made steady weekly progress on that for a while, particularly with squats and deads. Hit a wall with my presses after another illness back in January, and I switched my programming up, but backed off a bit too much. Was finally getting back to hitting PRs and got sick again! This time I decided to LP back up instead of just resuming intermediate programming, and decided to do it right this time.

So basically, when I'm offering you guys tips, it's not because I ran the perfect LP. It's because I want you guys to do it better than I did!
    Gotcha. Well, looks like you are doing great now! I feel you on getting sick. I was supposed to start my LP a month earlier than I did, but ended up with pneumonia which took me out for a while. Keep up the good work .
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-04-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast