Thread: Dillon's Re-Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    7/20/19
    Squats 370x5 (5PR) 335x5x2
    Bench 232.5x3x3
    Deadlift 325x5x2

Well this was a bit of an interesting one. Got my squat PR, but decided to make the switch to a top set and back offs. 370 felt all kinds of slow and ugly, so I decided to switch to back offs. Seeing as how the last rep at 335 felt as shitty as the last rep at 370, I think it was the right call, despite not having actually missed any squat reps during this run. I didn't check my log to see how much I was benching today until I was already done warming up. I knew it was either 232.5 or 235. When I confirmed the weight, I also realized I hadn't benched in almost two weeks with my screwed up schedule. Decided to go with the programmed weight, and feel it out for the reps. Maybe I should have backed off the weight a bit and done my fahves. This felt fine though. Ties a 3 rep PR, but with an extra set, and much smoother than last time I did it. Deadlifts still sucked because of my elbow burn, but getting them done wasn't a problem. Focused on taking as little time as necessary between reps.

7/30/19
    Squats 375x3 (3PR) 355x3x2
    Press 165x3 (3PR) 155x3x2
    Landmine rows 125x5,5,8

So my training has been a bit of a mess lately, for a variety of reasons. The fucking burn on the inside of my elbow just wasn't healing with getting all hot and sweaty and subjecting it to friction for a couple of hours every couple of days. Decided I needed to give it some time to heal, and today decided it was healed up enough to get back in the gym. I'm also heading off on a trip to Nashville next week, so anything I did to get back on track to truly milk the shit out of the last of this LP would just get derailed again then. I decided I'm going to do a mini peak for my squats, because 405 feels within reach before then. Press and bench I'm going to run out for triples, and maybe attempt a 1RM before I go. Deadlift will remain business as usual, most likely. Essentially I'm calling this the end of this LP run, and I'm perfectly happy with how it's gone. When I get back I'll go back to intermediate programming of some sort, probably HLM. Today's squats felt pretty good. Hit a PR, and a couple of back off triples. Thursday I'll try for 385x2, and Saturday I'll work up to a sub max single. I'll try for 405 Monday or Tuesday. On the press, 165x3 was a real grind. Didn't even get one on the next set so I backed off. Elbow still isn't up to power cleans, so I decided to fuck with some landmine rows, just because I've never done them before and needed some kind of light pull to do. I liked them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    7/30/19
    Squats 375x3 (3PR) 355x3x2
    Press 165x3 (3PR) 155x3x2
    Landmine rows 125x5,5,8

So my training has been a bit of a mess lately, for a variety of reasons. The fucking burn on the inside of my elbow just wasn't healing with getting all hot and sweaty and subjecting it to friction for a couple of hours every couple of days. Decided I needed to give it some time to heal, and today decided it was healed up enough to get back in the gym. I'm also heading off on a trip to Nashville next week, so anything I did to get back on track to truly milk the shit out of the last of this LP would just get derailed again then. I decided I'm going to do a mini peak for my squats, because 405 feels within reach before then. Press and bench I'm going to run out for triples, and maybe attempt a 1RM before I go. Deadlift will remain business as usual, most likely. Essentially I'm calling this the end of this LP run, and I'm perfectly happy with how it's gone. When I get back I'll go back to intermediate programming of some sort, probably HLM. Today's squats felt pretty good. Hit a PR, and a couple of back off triples. Thursday I'll try for 385x2, and Saturday I'll work up to a sub max single. I'll try for 405 Monday or Tuesday. On the press, 165x3 was a real grind. Didn't even get one on the next set so I backed off. Elbow still isn't up to power cleans, so I decided to fuck with some landmine rows, just because I've never done them before and needed some kind of light pull to do. I liked them!
    Man, I'm sore just thinking about a 405 squat . Awesome progress. I'm interested to see how you move into HLM, good luck.

Thanks! I'm sore thinking about it too, but I'm pretty confident it's there for the taking! It'll be a fun milestone to hit.

8/1/19
    Squats 385x2 (2PR) 365x2x2
    Bench 235x3x3
    Deadlift 410x5x1 (5PR)

Feeling good about today, overall. 385 moved really well. Definitely could have tripled it, maybe more. I'm feeling pretty confident about hitting four plates next week. Bench is 5 lbs off a PR. Just keeping it to three sets for now so as to not overdo it on the volume, seeing as how inconsistent I've been lately. Bench and press have definitely suffered the most for it. Got another deadlift PR, but it probably wasn't pretty. Probably not as ugly as it felt either. Definitely a grind though!

8/5/19
    Squats 405x1 (1PR) Video

Got my four plates! It's all I had time for today, so I'll do some pressing and deadlifting tomorrow before I leave for a little Nashville vacation. This was the second of my summer goals to fall in the last few days. On Saturday I passed the exam to be an NSCA certified trainer. Hardly the SS cert, but I'm hoping it'll be an in to work with some clients that aren't my dad and girlfriend. You know, the kind of clients I can actually charge money Been a bit hectic with the training recently, but the plan is to get back to a more regular training schedule when I get back from Nashville!

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome on all fronts, Dillon. Keep it up and good luck in landing those clients.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456