starting strength gym
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's SSLP 31/m/5'8"/162lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't think the answer for your squats is 5 lbs OR 5 minutes rest. It's both. I'll save you the trouble of skimming the book, but there's a line in there about how it's easier to avoid getting stuck than it is to get unstuck. Hell, one of the examples of a stuck lifter in the book is one that was too greedy for fast gains. Go to 5 lbs jumps sooner than you think you have to. Introduce a light squat day sooner than you think you have to. It's not a race to see who can run into a wall first.

You could probably take some more 10 lbs jumps on the deadlift to get it a bit further ahead of your squat before you reduce the frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    I don't think the answer for your squats is 5 lbs OR 5 minutes rest. It's both. I'll save you the trouble of skimming the book, but there's a line in there about how it's easier to avoid getting stuck than it is to get unstuck. Hell, one of the examples of a stuck lifter in the book is one that was too greedy for fast gains. Go to 5 lbs jumps sooner than you think you have to. Introduce a light squat day sooner than you think you have to. It's not a race to see who can run into a wall first.

You could probably take some more 10 lbs jumps on the deadlift to get it a bit further ahead of your squat before you reduce the frequency.
    Yep, just came across that quote in the book . 5 lb jumps it is. I've been doing 10 lb jumps in the bench, think I will just switch that to 5 lb as well. I'll be learning the power clean next weekend, so I'll starting rotating that in with the deadlifts after that.

Here is what I am planning:
    Squat - 5 lb jump with 5 min rest
    Press - 5 lb jump with 3 min rest
    Bench - 5 lb jump with 3 min rest
    Deadlift - 10 lb jump

Looks good for now! Might want to bump the rest up to 5 mins on the bench and press sooner rather than later too, depending on how they're feeling. You don't want to be missing reps just because you're trying to be a hero with the least rest possible.

Good luck learning to power clean! Make sure you follow the teaching progression diligently, and try to stamp out any bad habits right away. I didn't, and tried to progress the weight too quickly, and now I'm basically relearning it from scratch.

Sunday
    06/02/2019
    Squat: 190x5x3 - 5 min rest, went well. last couple of reps were slow
    Press: 90x5x3 - felt good today, hit my nose a little so the bar path is probably good. Focused on getting everything tight from the beginning.
    Deadlift: 215x5 - finally broke out the chalk, felt awesome on the hands.

Weight: 165.8 lb

I have some plans tomorrow, so I decided to train tonight.

Wednesday
    06/05/2019
    Squat
    195x5x2 - 5 min rest
    195x2 - failed on 3rd set, 6 min rest
    195x3 - 4th set felt better than the 3rd set.

Not sure what is going on here. Wondering if my form is off. I'll be heading back to Fivex3 Training this weekend to learn the power clean and get some form checks. So, I'll find out if it is a form issue then. Otherwise, I might try backing off 5 lb next time. I don't really feel comfortable recording myself at the gym, maybe in the future I'll do that and post to the form check forum. I also didn't feel 100% on my mental game today.

Bench 135x5x3 - I was planning to do a 5 lb jump, but went for 10 lb. I just wanted two 45 lb plates on the bar, next time I'll do 5 lb . Need to keep tight on the bench. I sliced up some gym flooring and put it under the bench, think I got it at a good height now. I practiced failing and I was able to roll the bar above my head and slide out - thanks Bob .

Deadlift 225x5 - So, I think this is the heaviest thing I have ever lifted in my life. I played around with deadlifts in high school and vaguely remember getting close to 200 lb before I got distracted by shiny objects and stopped. Happy about this.

Weight: 167.4 lb - Weight is moving steady, I'm at ~ 3500 calories or more a day.

Other notes:
    Started taking creatine
    Just got my first belt, 10mm thick pioneer cut 3 inch belt. 10mm Thick - Double Suede Pioneer Cut™ Powerlifting Belt • General Leathercraft Mfg.
    I haven't used it yet, hopefully it helps.

IMG_6554.jpg
    This is the bench setup that seems to work for me.
    IMG_6557.jpg
    Here is the belt, happy with the quality.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 06-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.

That's a slick belt!

It's good timing that you're getting back to Fivex3 to get you're form checked out. Don't sweat the missed reps. It could be form, or it could be that you're just learning to grind. I stalled out a few times right around 300, but in hindsight I had no idea how to grind, or how a real no shit failed rep actually feels. Could also just be an off day! You've got miles to go still!

Monday
    06/10/2019
    Squat: 155x5x3
    Bench Press: 125x5x3
    Power Clean: 95x3x5
    Chin Ups: BWx2x3
    Band Assisted Chin Ups:
    Blackx6
    Blackx4
    Red+Blackx4

Weight: 171.3 lb

First shot at power cleans. I went to Fivex3 Training over the weekend, learned the lift and got some form checks. Glad I went, power clean was pretty awkward for me in the beginning. Still not perfect but doable, definitely will need a lot of practice to get it down. My squat form was pretty bad so I reset back to 155 and will do 5 lb jumps. I was kind of turning it into a high bar squat and lifting my head half way through, will need to focus on keeping head/chest down and using the hips. Press looked good, will start taking 2.5 lb jumps. I was a little too aggressive with the Bench and Deadlift, so I will reset slightly on those and do 5 lb jumps. Also, adding in chin ups on power clean day. Overall I need to focus on keeping tight on the lifts and take my time with the jumps.

Thursday
    06/13/2019
    Squat: 160x5x3
    Press: 92.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 210x5

Weight: 168.4 lb

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday
    06/15/2019
    Squat: 165x5x3
    Bench: 130x5x3
    Power Clean: 100x3x5, Bruising on chest - need to get better at racking faster and getting elbows higher
    Chin Ups: BWx2x3; Purplex5x3

Weight: 170.8 lb

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast