starting strength gym
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's SSLP 31/m/5'8"/162lb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Man, I'd advise against cutting calories while you're still on LP. The muscle you're gaining now will be a huge help if/when you decide to lean out later. If LP is a grind now, it's going to fizzle out real quick in a caloric deficit. Better to grow into the calories. As you get bigger, they'll eventually just become maintenance. At that point you can keep the pounds, and lose some inches on your waist while still getting stronger. You've been making really good progress here, but there's lots of room for your lifts to keep going up. Adding in the light day is a great call!

Thursday
    08/15/2019
    Light Squat: 195x5x3, 5 min rests. WTH light squats, these felt heavy lol. Maybe it is because they are beltless.
    Bench Press: 167.5x5x3, 6 min rests. Man, my biceps were on fire after this. Weird, chest and triceps didn't really feel that bad.
    Power Clean: 110x3x5, 1.5 min rests. Pretty good, couple were off but overall good.
    Chin Ups: BWx4;x3;x2 [Machine #1] -45x8x3, 3 min rests. I tried improving my form, instead of crossing my legs I am trying to keep them straight. This seemed harder.

Weight: 188.6 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Man, I'd advise against cutting calories while you're still on LP. The muscle you're gaining now will be a huge help if/when you decide to lean out later. If LP is a grind now, it's going to fizzle out real quick in a caloric deficit. Better to grow into the calories. As you get bigger, they'll eventually just become maintenance. At that point you can keep the pounds, and lose some inches on your waist while still getting stronger. You've been making really good progress here, but there's lots of room for your lifts to keep going up. Adding in the light day is a great call!
    I think I was a little too aggressive with my surplus before so I have put on a pretty good amount of fat vs muscle. I know the deficit isn't optimal for LP, but I figured I'd just do a tiny one and see how it impacts my lifts. If it kills my progress I might bump it up again. I'd like to slim down for some stuff I have coming up in October as well. So, I'm going to stick around 3800 and see how it impacts my bodyweight and lifts for a week or two. I was averaging about 10 lbs a month. In hindsight, I think I should have been around 5 lbs per month.

Sunday
    08/18/2019
    Squat: 255x5x3, 8 min rest. Grindy
    Press: 120x5x3, 8 min rest. Got it! I didn't think I was going to after the first set. Focused on keeping tight and unracking the bar with authority.
    Deadlift: 275x5, hook grip on the last rep.

Weight: 191.2 lb

It felt like I did a ton of sit ups the day after my light squat. I guess not using the belt really forced me to brace my abs. Since I started the light squats on an odd day, I'll do another set of light squats next session and continue as normal heavy/light/heavy from there.

Tuesday
    08/20/2019
    Light Squat: 205x5x3, 5 min rests.
    Bench Press: 170x5x3, 6 min rests.
    Power Clean: 112.5x3x5, 1.5 min rests.
    Chin Ups: BWx5;x3x2, 3 min rests.
    Negative Chin Ups: x4(2@BW), x4x2(1@BW) - first set, two chins + two negs, other sets, 1 chin + 3 negs.

Weight: 188.5 lb
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 08-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Thursday
    08/22/2019
    Squat: 260x5;x2;235x2, 8 min rest.
    Press: 122.5x5;x3;x2, 8 min rest.
    Deadlift: 280x1

Weight: 190.2 lb

Gravity was not my friend today.

Squat - felt grindy and bad. I ended up not attempting a 3rd rep on the second set. Backed off the weight, still felt like garbage. Did not attempt a 3rd rep.
    Press - gave it a solid shot but couldn't do it.
    Deadlift - this one surprised me the most since my deadlifts have been feeling pretty decent besides the grip. 1 rep double overhand. I tried hook grip....nothing. I tried alternate grip....nothing. Someone glued that thing to the floor.

So, the first glaring thing is I messed with my calories. I decreased from 4000 to 3800 but I haven't been that strict and my weight is pretty much sticking around 190.
    I had some pretty bad squat anxiety this morning. This lift is starting to stress me out.
    Little bit of a runny nose this morning as well. Maybe getting a cold? I felt pretty good overall though so I don't think so.

Here is my plan moving forward (subject to change ):
    Squat - 1 more reset ~10%, keeping light squat day. I will work my way back up with 5 lb jumps. When it starts to get really grindy again, I'll introduce back off sets.
    Press - reset ~10%. I'll make 1, maybe 2, 5 lb jumps then back to 2.5 lb jumps. If I stall out again I am moving to triples. Debating between 3 and 5 sets, not sure how much the volume will matter.
    Deadlift - reattempt.

Debating upping my calories again.

Obviously not happy about today. But, I am the strongest that I have ever been. Big picture, this day will be a blip on the radar.

Friday
    08/23/2019
    Chin Ups: BWx4x3, Purplex6;x5;x4

Sunday
    08/25/2019
    Squat: 235x5x3, 5 min rest after first set, 8 min rest after second set.
    Bench Press: 172.5x5x3, 6 min rests.
    Power Clean: 115x3x5, 1.5 min rests.
    Chin Ups: BWx4;x3x2 [Machine #1] -40x8x2;x5, 3 min rests.

Weight: 190.2 lb

Hurt my lower back on the squats. I have some sharp pains in certain positions, particularly when changing positions from standing to sitting. I've had this problem once in the past before. Taking it easy. Hopefully it gets better in a couple days. We'll see where things go from here.

Friday
    08/30/2019
    Squat: 190x3;135x6x2, 6m rest.
    Bench Press: 175x5x3, 6m rest.
    Press: 110x5x3, 6m rest.
    Deadlift: 280x2

Weight: 192.5 lb

Went to the doctor and they said I probably strained or pulled a muscle or ligament in my lower back and that I could just do whatever felt comfortable. I took it easy on squats with a lot of warm ups, 190 felt a little uncomfortable so I backed off and did 135 just did get things moving. Decided to combine bench and press since I reset the weight on my press. My back felt pretty good by the end of the session so I went for 280 again on the deadlift. But, I only got 2 reps.

Moving forward I am going to move to a heavy volume, light, heavy intensity model for deadlift based off of Minimum Effective Dose for Maximum Strength, Part 2 | Matt Reynolds. I'll back off the weight, then do: M: ~90% of Fri x5x3, W: LP power cleans F: 1x5. I'll take a couple 10 lb jumps building back up and then go to 5 lb once I get close to 280 again.

Also, keeping heavy light heavy with squats. I'm going to reset to 190 and make a couple 10 lb jumps, then reduce to 5 lb in a little while.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 09-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday
    09/03/2019
    Squat: 190x5x3, 5m rest. No belt, back felt pretty good.
    Press: 115x5x3, 6m rest. I will make 1 more 5 lb jump, then back to 2.5 lb.
    Deadlift (V): 230x5x3, 5m rest.

Weight: 192.8 lb - haven't really been counting calories just eating lol.

Back felt good today. I'll probably throw in some chins and plan for Friday for the next sessions. Next week I'll try to get back to MWF.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast