starting strength gym
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Mike's SSLP 31/m/5'8"/162lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared_T View Post
    Nice work!
    Getting sick deep into LP doesn’t sound enjoyable.
    You’re brave to be squatting beltless on your heavy days.
    Does your bench always feel like you’re max effort on the last reps even with 2.5lb jumps?
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on with this cold. My squat situation is a little odd at the moment. I got up to 260 lb but I felt like I was going to explode lol. So, I did a deload to 235 lb and ended up pulling something in my back with the lighter weight. I ended up deloading even more to 190 lb to give myself some time to recover physically and mentally from squatting. But, it has gotten heavy enough for me to put the belt back on at this point. Hopefully, I'll slowly but surely get past 260 lb.

About the last 3 bench workouts, I've noticed that last rep slowing down for me. I haven't had to really grind against it, but it is enough for me to think I might not get the rep. For my press, that last rep was really slow for a while, then I increased my rest time and that seemed to help. I feel like I'll probably need to bump up my bench press rest time pretty soon. So far, the bench is the only lift I haven't failed on so I don't really have a good gauge of a full out max effort on it yet. If your thinking about switching from 5 lb to 2.5 lb jumps, its probably about time . You might lose a couple lbs in the short term but long term it will help keep progress steady instead of resetting.

Friday
    09/20/2019
    Squat: 230x5x3, 6m rest. Back to using the belt. Not too bad.
    Press: 125x5;x4;x2, 8m rest. Well, that was short lived. I'll move to triples next press workout.
    Deadlift (I): 275x5. Damn that felt heavy. Last 2 reps hook grip.

Weight: 193.1 lb

Saturday
    09/21/2019
    Chin ups: BWx5;x3;x2, Purplex6x2;x5

What is this “Purple” you speak of? I’ve never heard of that term.

What is this “Purple” you speak of? I’ve never heard of that term.
    Hey Jared, Purple resistance band . When I'm in the gym, I use the assisted chin up machine but at home I use resistance bands to help me get in some more volume.

Ahh. Makes sense. I have a green and purple band. I’ll probably need both to even get one chin or pull-up. Haven’t hit that point in the program yet.

Tuesday
    09/24/2019
    Squat: 235x5x3, 6m rest. These felt good today, hopefully I can keep up the momentum on these.
    Bench Press: 185x5x3, 6m rest. Last rep was a little grindy.
    Deadlift (V): 250x5x3, 5m rest. I used hookgrip on these today to try and practice before Friday. Thumbs are killing me not sure if I am doing it wrong or if it is just the nature of the grip. My form got a little sloppy on the last set and I started bending at the knees early on the way down.

Weight: 193.4 lb

I think my LP is nearing its end. I've already switched things up for the deadlift and the press has stalled. I am hoping to get to my bodyweight for bench and at least 260 for the squat before switching programs.

For the press, I have been debating triples or adding more volume via a texas method or HLM setup. Here are couple options I have came across.
    Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo
    Minimum Effective Dose for Maximum Strength, Part 2 | Matt Reynolds
    Novice Bench and Press Plug-In - Barbell Medicine

Yesterday, I was leaning toward Delgadillo's compressed texas method for the press. But, probably doing a set of 5 instead of singles and keeping the bench press on LP. After today, my bench doesn't seem like its going to last that much longer on LP though so I may just keep to triples and switch up everything when my squat dies. Also, my schedule has been tight lately so probably only 1 other workout this week and then back to 3 next week.

I’ve found with hook grip you need to make sure you chalk the hell out of your thumbs. Another thing that helps with soreness is to make sure you don’t have your middle finger holding on your thumb nail. I get it over the knuckle portion of the thumb and it feels a lot better after heavy sets.

I’ve found with hook grip you need to make sure you chalk the hell out of your thumbs. Another thing that helps with soreness is to make sure you don’t have your middle finger holding on your thumb nail. I get it over the knuckle portion of the thumb and it feels a lot better after heavy sets.
    Thanks for the tip, will give it a shot!

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday
    09/25/2019
    Strict Press: 112.5x5x5, 4m,5m,6m,6m rest. Last rep was pretty slow on each set. Felt the fatigue from benching yesterday so I bumped the rest time up.
    Chin Ups: BWx5;x3x2 [Machine #1] -40x8x2;x7, 3m rest

I had some paralysis by analysis going on, so I'm just going forward with the compressed texas method for the press. Should be back on a MWF schedule next week.

It was really weird not squatting first and being fresh for the press today.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 10-02-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast