Thread: Mike's SSLP 31/m/5'8"/162lb

Default Mike's SSLP 31/m/5'8"/162lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 162 lb
    Sex: Male

Here is my story. December 2017, the most out of shape I have ever been at 230 lb. Desk job, sedentary lifestyle, and plenty of junk food. The last week of December I finally decided it was time to get healthier. I started eating better and calorie counting. I hit might lightest weight in October 2018 at 150lb. At this point, people started to tell me to put on weight and I realized how much muscle I didn't have . I have been playing around with dumbbell exercises at home over the last couple of months. But now, I'm here and ready to get strong.

On Saturday, I had my first session to learn the lifts with Diego at Fivex3 Training in Baltimore. Great experience, and highly recommend. Unfortunately, I'm too far away and had to sign up at a globo gym near my house.

Monday
    05/20/2019
    Squat: 135x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Deadlift: 155x5 - Shins are bruised. Need to pull the bar up, not back.
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 05-22-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Mike,

Grats on losing 80 lbs! That's a tremendous accomplishment!

Welcome to the forums. We look forward to hearing about your progress, and helping with questions you may have. Also, I know it would be nice to have an SS gym nearby, there are a lot of resources available on this site. Videos to help learn and perfect your form, and a section for posting videos for feedback on your form. Those can be put to good use to help your progress.

For the deadlift, the bar should start touching your legs, so then you can't pull it "back", because it's already as far back as it can go I'm sure a little more practice, and you'll have it down, no problem.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Mike,

Grats on losing 80 lbs! That's a tremendous accomplishment!

Welcome to the forums. We look forward to hearing about your progress, and helping with questions you may have. Also, I know it would be nice to have an SS gym nearby, there are a lot of resources available on this site. Videos to help learn and perfect your form, and a section for posting videos for feedback on your form. Those can be put to good use to help your progress.

For the deadlift, the bar should start touching your legs, so then you can't pull it "back", because it's already as far back as it can go I'm sure a little more practice, and you'll have it down, no problem.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. Yes, the weight loss definitely wasn't easy. The trick for me was not to be perfect and just be persistent as hell.

My shins start out on the bar, but I noticed today I wasn't quite over midfoot. Think I am leaning slightly forward because I'm getting used to the squat shoes. Focused on squeezing the chest and staying over midfoot, plus wore compression socks under my sweatpants today. Seemed to help.

Definitely would be nice to have an SS gym nearby . I'm still in the awkward getting used to stepping foot into the gym phase, but I'm going to do it .
    Last edited by Michael Smith; 05-27-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Wednesday
    05/22/2019
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 165x5 - Squeeze chest up, stay over midfoot.

Weight: 161.6 lb

Friday
    05/24/2019
    Squat: 155x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 175x5 - Hitting knees slightly on the way down on warm up sets.

Weight: 162.4 lb

Got a migraine ~20 mins after training . Morning snack cottage cheese, banana, brazil nuts, water. Trained ~1 hour after. I felt fine at the gym, didn't hit me until I was home about to eat Breakfast.

Monday
    05/27/2019
    Squat: 165x5x3
    Bench Press: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x5

Weight: 162.4 lb

No migraine. Drank more water beforehand and took it slower after training.

Hey Mike!

Congrats on taking some great steps for your health! Getting strong via a well run NLP will be the best thing you can do in that regard. I look forward to following your progress.

Just wondering what your diet is like now that you're starting out. At your height I'm not saying you need to eat your way back up to 230 (even if it would be a far stronger, more muscular, and all around healthier 230), but early in LP you have tremendous potential to put on slabs of lean body mass. Would probably like to see that scale going up a bit more already, even if you're only a few workouts in.

Mike,

I get migraines as well. Since I was a kid. Total PITA. It's good that you're finding ways to handle them. For me, I have to watch grindy, max-effort lifts. They may contribute to better results, in the long run, but they almost always trigger migraines for me.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Hey Mike!

Congrats on taking some great steps for your health! Getting strong via a well run NLP will be the best thing you can do in that regard. I look forward to following your progress.

Just wondering what your diet is like now that you're starting out. At your height I'm not saying you need to eat your way back up to 230 (even if it would be a far stronger, more muscular, and all around healthier 230), but early in LP you have tremendous potential to put on slabs of lean body mass. Would probably like to see that scale going up a bit more already, even if you're only a few workouts in.
    Hey Dillon, thanks! So, I have been hitting around 3200 calories, aiming for 230g of protein. A typical day looks like this:

Morning Snack: Cottage cheese, banana, brazil nuts
    Breakfast: Oatmeal with hemp/chia/flaxseeds, blueberries, peanut butter, walnuts
    Snack: Apple, pistachios or almonds, dark chocolate, whey protein shake
    Snack: Sardine sandwich
    Lunch: Brown rice, chicken, broccoli
    Snack: Smoothie with peanut butter, banana, whey protein
    Dinner: Lentil Pasta with chicken

I have consistently hit 3200 calories daily all last week, sometimes more depending on the day. I was surprised the scale hasn't moved much, since I was eating around 2800 calories a couple weeks ago. I am thinking about bumping it up to 3500 calories a day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Mike,

I get migraines as well. Since I was a kid. Total PITA. It's good that you're finding ways to handle them. For me, I have to watch grindy, max-effort lifts. They may contribute to better results, in the long run, but they almost always trigger migraines for me.

Keep up the good work!
    Hey Bob, yeah the migraine definitely threw me off. I haven't really gotten them for years, maybe one off here and there. Hopefully its not a recurring thing but I am trying to keep a close eye on it. Have you noticed if any particular lift seems to aggravate it more?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast