starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Man training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    One more thing. Deadlift is a single set of 5, not three sets.
    I'll do a single set when it gets heavy enough. Right now a single set is not stressing my body enough.

Two more training logs. Basically have been reading PPST, and I see now how I didn't really start well. I managed to go down to a single set of deadlift, by starting the warm-up phase to 135 lbs. Much more effective feeling in my legs after.

June 16th, 2019: Squat: 195 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 90 x 5,5,5 ; Clean & Jerk: 115 x 3,3,3,3,3

June 19th, 2019: Squat: 215 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 90 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 245 x 5,5,5

I also realized I'm not doing power cleans, but clean and jerks. Finally, I messed up on my calculations on the press. Because the app software alternates between the press and bench, I always have to change the work-set weight increment manually.

June 22nd, 2019: Squat: 235 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 95 x 5,5,5 ; PowerClean: 135 x 3,3,3,3,3

I finished each workset of PowerCleans with an overhead jerk. Good workout, but I was so exhausted in the end. I'll try one more increase of 20 lbs for the squat, but then I think I'll go back to 10 lbs increments. It was really hard to do the last squat rep in the last two sets. I just wish I would have started with increments of 20 lbs instead of 10 lbs at the start.

Also, when I clean, I can't quite rack the barbell on my shoulders. I have a big neck (18.5"), and my shoulders seem to be more back than most people. I also lack the flexibility to push my elbows much forward.

Today I felt rather weak/sore, so I couldn't mentally think I could do 255 lbs squats. Then I remembered Rip saying something about "your feelings don't matter", so I tried it anyway, and I was able to do the 3 worksets.

June 24th, 2019: Squat: 255 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 100 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 255 x 5

While deadlifting, I had to use alternate grip on the last rep, and then it was really easy. So I took a few breaths, and tried double overhanding it again, an I did, but my thumb wasn't even around the bar and I thought I would drop the bar (but didn't).

I'm a bit mad at my deadlifts, because I think I could do a lot more with alternate grip, but I don't know why my grip isn't getting stronger.

June 27nd, 2019: Squat: 275 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 105 x 5,5,5 ; PowerClean: 145 x 3,3,3,3,3

Last time I do 20 lbs increases on squats. After the last squat workset, I was drained. By the time I arrived at the PowerCleans, I was dying. Like cardio overload. I still did all the warmup sets and work sets, but took 3 minute breaks between work sets, just to catch my breath.

July 1st, 2019: Squat: 285 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 110 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 275 x 5,5
    I did two deadlift sets. I couldn't hold on to the bar with overhand grip, so I did alternative grip, and it was easy, the barbell wasn't slipping away. Because of the alternate grip, I decided to do a second set with the hands switched (i.e. supine vs overhand).

The squats were killing me. Mostly I think it's because of my huge stomach (I look like a pregnant woman when squatting), that squishes my lungs and I get out of breath.

So far I have not lost weight at all, but this is semi-strategic. I don't want to hinder my novice progress with linear programming. So far, my criteria has been my pant size. I used to wear a 42, right now I wear a 40 and can almost wear a 38, but I'm probably still 20 lbs away from that.

Screenshot_20190701-164807.jpg

HackDiet.jpg

July 4th, 2019: Squat: 295 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 115 x 5,5,5 ; PowerClean: 0

I forgot that the gym closes at 10 pm today, so as I was warming up my powercleans, the lights went out. I'll try to do them tomorrow morning.

I'm super happy to be able to squat my bodyweight (or almost, as it's 298 lbs today). On the second set, my 3rd squat, as I got to the bottom and started lifting up, I farted, this really loud fart. I was so embarrased. I considered putting the bar back to the rack, but then thought "Why should I care", and did the two other reps. The next set, the first 4 reps where easy, but the last one, I either started to curve my back, or something happened, because the bar rolled up a little, and it was pretty bad. I still did it, but really poor form. I think the mental unstability caused by my previous fart destroyed my concentration. Otherwise, I found it easier going from 285 to 295 than from 275 to 285. My next workset I'm definitely going for 305.

As for the press, my shoulders were really pumped up after the three worksets. I guess this is because it's a smaller muscle? Never felt like that in my legs or anywhere after the other exercises. It's almost two hours later and they feel fine now. I hope they feel fine tomorrow.

Also, getting very bad sleep these days, since it's unbelievably hot, and I have to crank-up the air-conditioning which blows cold air directly on me (my apartment has a crappy layout, I have no choice for now).

I'm almost two months in the program, which I didn't really follow that well in the beginning. So far I'm impressed. Sure, I would have liked to lose a little weight... I know it's not usually a goal here, but I'm not a little overweight, I'm severely overweight, and most of my fat seems visceral, the worst type. At 298 lbs, I'm sure this is screwing up my hormones and all that. I've tried to visualize milestones of weight loss, such as 280 lbs, 260 lbs, 240 lbs. I'd really, really like to be under 280 lbs by the end of August, if possible. 260 lbs by the end of October, then 240 lbs by the end of December. Not sure if those are realistic goals.

July 5th, 2019: PowerClean: 155 x 3,3,3,2,3

I felt pretty trained before the workout, probably from the partial workout the day before. I couldn't rack the third rep of the fourth set. I had intense pain in my left arm afterwards, which I talked about in the injury forum. I hope it's not an injury, and that I can resume cleans shortly.

July 9th, 2019: Squat: 305 x 5,5

After the second squat workset, I felt awful, like I was about to throw up. I decided to derack and go home. Doing the actual squats didn't feel that hard, just the nausea after the second workset was quite disturbing. I took three minute breaks between the warmup and first workset, which I could feel my heart pounding it was such a cardio rush. Then I waited another three minutes, only the last rep was hard-ish, but not that hard. But then it was nausea and trying not to hurl.

Searching online, I hear that that feeling might not be uncommon, but usually only for high reps (like 10). I have to admit I went to the gym about two hours after my supper, which consisted of a wedge of cheese and a few glasses of wine. So not the best setup, I am aware.

I also noticed pain in my lower back. I think this may be caused by my lag in the deadlift vs squats. The lower back is more isometric during squat than the deadlift. So now the weak-point in my squat will be solved by strengthening my lower back dynamically with the deadlift.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I'm still learning.

My plan for the next workout is to do full sets of squats at 305, and by linear progression would indicate deadlifts of 285 lbs, but I will try 295, and then 315. If I can do 315, that will setup my next workout at 335.

That's it for now. Sorry if these are getting long. I'm pretty excited about where I seem to be going.

Check in with a certified SS coach even if you only do so once.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Check in with a certified SS coach even if you only do so once.
    Are there any in the Montreal area? I would like to check in with a coach, so if anyone knows of any in my area I will do so.

July 14th, 2019: Deadlift: 315lbs x 5 ; Squat: 305 x 5,2 : 275 x5,5 ; Press: 120 x 5,5,5

Squat racks were taken, so I started with the deadlift. Maybe I overdid it a little, because after 2 reps in the second squat workset, I had to deload. I'll do 295 lbs next time, then try 305 again. I have to go more regularly to the gym, I've been slacking around too much. The presses weren't as hard as I thought they would be.

Only 3 workouts so far in July, which is pretty pathetic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast