starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Man training

Default Fat Man training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I figure the first rule in life is to know thyself. I've always been fat. In my 20's, at 6'0", I was 240 lbs. I started training around 29, the starting strength method, and in a few months I was in pretty good shape, reached a record low 195 lbs, looked pretty descent. I quit training. It didn't take long for me to take it all back. For some reason, I was fat but didn't see it really. I also grew a beard which hid the fact my head was becoming a giant potato. I was still looking ok, in my mind. In February, I installed cameras around my house, to "beef up the security". It records only when it detects motion. Well, a few days later, I decided to see if it had captured any events. Sure enough, there's some gigantic blob moving around my apartment. And that blob was me. For some reason, I could see it in video, I could see myself, and I didn't like it.

Still, I did nothing about it, until May 7th, when I took a good hard look in the mirror, and shaved my beard and cut my hair. Then I subscribed to a gym a few blocks away.

I'm 36 years old, 290 lbs, 6'0". Out of shape and not that healthy, not yet. But I hope I can change.
    I now have 6 training sessions under my belt. They are as follow:

May 7th, 2019: Squat: 120 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 45 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 120 x 5,5,5

May 11th, 2019: Squat: 130 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 55 x 5,5,5 ; Powerclean: 65 x 5,5,5

May 15th, 2019: Squat: 145 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 65 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 135 x 5,5,5

May 18th, 2019: Squat: 155 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 70 x 5,5,5 ; Powerclean: 85 x 3,3,3,3,3

May 20th, 2019: Squat: 165 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 70 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 145 x 5,5,5

May 22th, 2019: Squat: 175 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 85 x 5,5,5 ; Powerclean: 95 x 3,3,3,3,3

Are these in lbs or kgs? Either way, it's good to get started. Start eating right. The nutrition section in these forums can be very helpful. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Are these in lbs or kgs? Either way, it's good to get started. Start eating right. The nutrition section in these forums can be very helpful. Keep it up.
    All in lbs. Just lbs... I'm pretty out of shape. But I think with the starting strength linear progression system, it doesn't really matter, I will improve if I follow the system in a systematic way. I will try to update my logs every week, and include the units of mass.

Thank you.

You should be alternating press, and bench press each workout.
    You've listed press but not bench press in your workouts.

I haven't trained since. Last Saturday and Sunday (25th and 26th), I helped people move. On Monday the 27th, I received a letter that I was getting sued. For volunteer work I did for free and that I really put effort in. So that got me depressed. Finally we settled in mediation today (with me being absolved), but the whole thing was draining. I did a bunch of kettlebell presses to relieve some stress Saturday the 1st, but otherwise felt unable to train.

I've finished my May weight log. I pre-populated the data before the 7th of May, which is I started training. I believe I will hit the gym tomorrow.

Here's my weight log.

HackDiet.jpg

It shows a weekly gain of 0.88 lbs, a daily excess of 441 calories, and an average BMI of 39.5.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    You should be alternating press, and bench press each workout.
    You've listed press but not bench press in your workouts.
    You're right. I would like to bench press in the future. Right now I'm not set up, and I don't/won't have a spotter. I might eventually bench, and stops when it gets too heavy. I don't want to strangle myself or break things when I fail to finish a set. I value the bench, but for the immediate future, it won't be possible. So I will alternate squat/press/deadlift and squat/press/powerclean for now, even if it's short of optimal starting strength.

It sounds like you're working out at home. If you have room, look into getting a power rack/safety cage/whatever they're called. Then you have safeties to help with squats and bench.

One more thing. Deadlift is a single set of 5, not three sets.

Get together with a certified SS coach.

starting strength coach development program
    No training at all since the 22th of May.

But trained today.

June 9th, 2019: Squat: 185 x 5,5,5 ; Press: 75 x 5,5,5 ; Deadlift: 255 x 5, 225 x 5,5

I basically decided to deadlift a lot more. At 255, had to do the two last reps in alternate grip, so I lowered it to 225 with double overhand grip. They were all pretty easy except the grip. Tried the hook-grip, but thought my thumb would explode.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast