starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sartois - Workout Journal

Default Sartois - Workout Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm new to Starting Strength and indeed weightlifting overall, but though I'd say hello and document my meagre progress so far. So, let's start with some base information:

Ocupation: University lecturer (professor in US terminology) so working at a computer most of the time
    Weightlifting experience: Zero
    Weight: 93kg (205lbs)
    Injuries: Plantar fasciitis and a shoulder injury, but both are being gradually worked out
    General exercise goals: Get stronger, improve my cardiac fitness, and increase my flexibility. I'm intending to achieve those through the Starting Strength programme, badminton (though not exclusively), and yoga.

I've been training three weeks or so now, so very much a beginner, but I'm really enjoying it. It's almost 'me' time in a way, since I have to focus on lifting with the right technique. In that regard I decided to start with very light weights and allow my body to get used to weight training in the first place, and make sure I'd got the technique right. As such, I started with 10kg for all exercises, aside from the squat that was 20kg. I'm on the following now (each is for 5 x 3 sets):

Squat: 37.5kg
    Overhead Press: 20kg
    Deadlift: 30kg (5 x 1)
    Bench Press: 17.5kg

Things are going so far, it's obviously early days, and I've put quite a lot of attention into my diet but my real issue is my body fat. I'm around 20% fat and I simply don't want to put in an extra 300 calories a day to 'bulk up', even though I appreciate that's the default thing to do. My clothing is already having trouble fitting, etc.

Any advice re. the food, or indeed anything else, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Welcome Alex!

Good to see you've set yourself some training goals! Just want to chime in with a bit of advice, since you asked.

First of all, don't try to ride three horses with one ass, especially during the novice linear progression. Once you get your squat up into the +120 kgs range (and you will, if you run this well), you won't feel the need for badminton as cardio. If it's something you do because you enjoy it, don't go crazy with it. You'd be amazed what properly performed squats, presses, and deadlifts under load will do for your overall flexibility and mobility. Again, if yoga is something you already do and enjoy, don't go crazy with it. Commit yourself running the best LP you can run for at least 12 weeks, and that means making strength acquisition the top priority, preferably to the exclusion of other goals you may have long term.

Next, those are very conservative starting numbers. My dad started at 68 with absolutely no training history, and he started off squatting 65 lbs, pressing the empty bar, deadlifting 95 lbs, and benching 65 lbs, and made some 5-10 lbs jumps for the first few weeks. If you're feeling comfortable with the lifts now, take a couple of workouts to select starting weights as described in the book and don't be afraid to be more aggressive. A lot more aggressive with the deadlift in particular. Remember, you're more likely to hurt yourself playing badminton than strength training. If you're not comfortable, post some videos either here or in the technique forum and we'd be happy to help you improve your form. If you insist on being super conservative (and some do, for some reason), you'll have to give yourself a lot longer than 12 weeks to reap the benefits of the program.

Finally, the SSNLP is not a weight loss program. You didn't mention your height, but 205 lbs and 20% BF hardly makes you a fat slob. It's possible to pull off some body recomposition, with the scale staying the same, or even going up, while your waist goes down. Focus on the weight on the bar, not the weight on the scale, and track your waist circumference if you want to feel good about losing some body fat. 200 g of protein per day, lowish fat, and lots of carbs while you get stronger will do wonders for your appearance and performance under the bar. However, this also assumes you're challenging yourself appropriately. I suspect you could be moving more weight, even with no lifting history, which will give your body something productive to do with all the extra protein and carbs. For more detail, go have a chat with Santana in the nutrition forum. He's a fantastic resource.

Hope some of this was helpful! I look forward to following your progress.

Happy lifting!

Dillon has given some very sound advice. I would add only get in touch with a Starting Strength coach online if necessary. He or She can give you cues and tips that are invaluable.

Hi,

Thank you for your thoughts Dillon - it's much appreciated. The badminton is just something I enjoy but I'm not actually doing it at the moment, which obviously works out well from what you said.

I decided to go for the heavier weights, as you suggested. I can't deny it's wiped me out a bit, but it felt pretty good at the same time. I think my form was ok, though I need to check my deadlift a bit. The weights were as follows:

Squat: 60kg - 1 x 5
    Overhead Press: 20kg - not done as yet
    Deadlift: 60kg - 1 x 5
    Bench Press: 35kg - 1 x 5

Finally, my height is 6'4" so, as you say, not exactly that fat. I'm tracking my food as well and aside from a rampant refined sugar addiction that I'm trying to kick, things are ok there.

Thanks again for your advice,

Alex

So, a little more detail on today's workout then...

Squat: I did a few warm up sets, and then started at 40kg. That seemed to go ok, so I went to 50kg and then 60kg. That was quite a bit harder, so it seemed like a good end point. I was having a bit more trouble getting parallel, but that was more in my mind than anything else. I.e. I could do it but just had to get used to the idea of it.

Bench Press: Again, I jumped straight to 25kg on the bench press, which then moved to 30kg and 35kg. Again, that seemed like a reasonable end point.

Deadlift: I started on 20kg on this one, and then moved from 40kg and to 60kg. I'm not sure about my form on this one though, so I need to work on that. When picking up the barbell it felt like my back is a bit too arched, but I suspect this is due to the bar being relatively low because I was using 2 x 10kg plates at each end. A 20kg plate would make things a little easier since it'd be a little higher.

Anyway, definitely interesting with the jump in weights and I'm sure it'll have a significant impact.

Alex

Haha at 6'4" and 205 you're definitely not a fat ass! I'm 6' and 215 and the only person that would call me fat is my mom! She liked me skinny If you feel fluffy it's because you need more muscle.

Glad to see you picked some more appropriate starting weights. If you still want to progress conservatively from here, I'd suggest 2.5 kg increases on the squat and 5 kg increases on the DL for a while. Maybe even a couple of 10 kg jumps. Ideally you'd get it heavier than your squat early on. Definitely use the 20 kg plates though!

Hi Dillon,

Yes, very true re. my weight! My deadlift is almost heavier than my squat and I guess will overtake it in the next couple of sessions.

So...my workouts this week have been good, with the increased weights paying off I think. I've definitely noticed that my posture has improved, although I can't see any visible increase in muscle mass to be honest. My squat feels pretty good, although I'm having to work on my shoulder flexibility a bit. The deadlift seems ok, though I'm finding the advice (in one of the SS seminar videos) of thrusting my belly between my thighs somewhat counterintuitive. I feel substantially more solid / stable if I tighten up my stomach and lower back muscles...

Anyway, here's this week's progress (together with the amount of progress):

Squat: 62.5kg (20kg)
    Bench Press: 30kg (12.5kg)
    Deadlift: 60kg (20kg)
    Overhead Press: 22.5kg (12.5kg)

Alex

Well, not such a good workout today - my lower back was a bit grumbly over the weekend, and I must admit I was slightly wary when approaching today's session. I got through the warm-up sets for the squat and managed 65kg x 5, but my form was having trouble and I could feel my lower back getting upset. I did the first rep of the 2nd set, but prudence kicked in after that and I called it a day (on the squat at least).

I completed my bench press sets, so that was fine but obviously didn't do the deadlift since that would be six types of stupid.

Now, I've done a bit of reading up and I'm aware that one of the metrics for moving onto phase 2 is the lower back not recovering between sessions, so that seems like something to consider. However, my Wednesday session may have to wait - I'm not intending to risk my lower back and further delay things.

Alex

Hi all,

Well, my lower back is definitely upset with me, so I'm going to dial it back until everything has settled down. I'll take some ibuprofen and paracetamol for a while and concentrate on recovering. When I return it only seems sensible to deload and work my way back up again, though hopefully I won't have to wait more than a week or so before starting again.

Alex

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_M View Post
    Well, not such a good workout today - my lower back was a bit grumbly over the weekend, and I must admit I was slightly wary when approaching today's session. I got through the warm-up sets for the squat and managed 65kg x 5, but my form was having trouble and I could feel my lower back getting upset. I did the first rep of the 2nd set, but prudence kicked in after that and I called it a day (on the squat at least).

I completed my bench press sets, so that was fine but obviously didn't do the deadlift since that would be six types of stupid.

Now, I've done a bit of reading up and I'm aware that one of the metrics for moving onto phase 2 is the lower back not recovering between sessions, so that seems like something to consider. However, my Wednesday session may have to wait - I'm not intending to risk my lower back and further delay things.

Alex
    I had a very brief lower-back issue just a few sessions ago -- tightness throughout the day (not the good muscular kind, either, but more like what I used to experience years ago before getting chiropractic adjustment), concentrated on the right side between the bottom-most rib and the hip. It was bad enough that I elected on the second set of the day to terminate the squat activity. I had done the first set, but knew that I was nowhere near to full range of motion. As I got under the bar for the second set, I realized I didn't have enough strength to even un-rack the bar.

The oddest thing about the day, though, was proceeding normally through the bench (a bit of a cramp lying down, but not so bad I couldn't get my lifts), and then on to the deads. Now, I had wondered whether I ought to do them or not, because, you know, lower back, right? But I went ahead anyway, and they worked out great! No problems at all with the back. I mean, I could still feel the tightness, but my body positioning, lifting form, and valsalva breath lock must have been nigh-on perfect.

So, in short, maybe not "six types of stupid" at all?

Hang in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast