starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sartois - Workout Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Often times back "tightness" and pain is improved by training through it. Should take some video and get your form checked.

Ha, well maybe I was wrong then! I'm glad it worked out for you.

My back has continued to be a bit upset about things, but it's improving - I've done some stretching and did body weight squats that helped a bit I think. I didn't do my workout today though, but did some skipping instead just to bump up my metabolism a bit. And I can tell you...skipping is hard work, ha!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Often times back "tightness" and pain is improved by training through it. Should take some video and get your form checked.
    Ah yes, good idea about the form. I've think I've identified an issue there, but know how to remedy it so that should be ok next time.

Alex

Great start and progress, and sorry to hear about your back. As I read about your issues with your back, I couldn't help but wonder - are you using the valsalva maneuver? I don't know what is recommended anymore, but I know at one point (years ago) bro logic was to breath in on eccentric and out on concentric. If you started SS with that mindset, that could cause issues. Instead it should be a deep breath in, tighten your abdominal area, perform the rep, then breath out and take another breath.

If you are doing this, then great, keep it up. If not, you will find it stabilizes you and your back will thank you for it. Good luck with your back and your training, and as Dillon says, try to work through it as best you can, which may require a drop in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_M View Post
    Ha, well maybe I was wrong then! I'm glad it worked out for you.

My back has continued to be a bit upset about things, but it's improving - I've done some stretching and did body weight squats that helped a bit I think. I didn't do my workout today though, but did some skipping instead just to bump up my metabolism a bit. And I can tell you...skipping is hard work, ha!

Alex
    Glad to hear your back is improving! Obvious "not a coach" caveats apply here, but I'm not convinced your strategy of skipping a workout to skip rope is the best plan. General recommendation usually seems to be to train to the best of your capabilities, whatever your pain tolerance allows without form degradation. Pain is complicated, and doesn't always mean you need to lay off. I'll let Dr. Baraki explain better than I can hope to.

Aches and Pains | Austin Baraki

TLDR; your back probably isn't in danger, and training through the perceived "threat" that squatting and deadlifting poses is probably the best way to get your brain to STFU about your back hurting.

Either way, jumping up and down hundreds of times (compressing your spine each time) probably isn't helpful.

Get back under that bar and get them gains!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    Are you using the valsalva maneuver? I don't know what is recommended anymore, but I know at one point (years ago) bro logic was to breath in on eccentric and out on concentric. If you started SS with that mindset, that could cause issues. Instead it should be a deep breath in, tighten your abdominal area, perform the rep, then breath out and take another breath.
    Ah, good question - I had been contracting my abs, but didn't realise I should be pushing my gut out so I guess I was half way there. The trouble with my lower back occurred when I did that (just contracting the abs) when doing a deadlift, although to be fair I was tenidng the back muscles as well.

Alex

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Glad to hear your back is improving! Obvious "not a coach" caveats apply here, but I'm not convinced your strategy of skipping a workout to skip rope is the best plan. General recommendation usually seems to be to train to the best of your capabilities, whatever your pain tolerance allows without form degradation. Pain is complicated, and doesn't always mean you need to lay off. I'll let Dr. Baraki explain better than I can hope to.

Aches and Pains | Austin Baraki

TLDR; your back probably isn't in danger, and training through the perceived "threat" that squatting and deadlifting poses is probably the best way to get your brain to STFU about your back hurting.

Either way, jumping up and down hundreds of times (compressing your spine each time) probably isn't helpful.

Get back under that bar and get them gains!
    Yes, point taken, I'm set to go on Friday so I'll see how that goes. Happily I'm not that good at skipping, so it was only 100 or so jumps.

As you've both said though, I guess sometimes you have to train through the discomfort - thanks for the advice.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12