Thread: Ed's SS training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/17/2019

Squat - 300 3x5
    Press - 132.5 3x5
    Dead lift - 315 1x4 2nd fail at this weight

Squat was definitely a challenge. My last rep I thought I was going to fail as it seemed I was stuck at midway up but it slowly started moving and I finished. That could have easily gone the other way. The Press was not what I would consider a challenge. The last rep was slow but I was never in any danger or concern that it would be a failed set at all. On the dead lift, I thought I had it. First 3 reps were hard, 4th was slow. The 5th was coming up, about midway my muscles in my legs seemed to start doing the sewing machine and the weight came back down. I was wondering if my form had just broken down so I quickly reset my setup and tried for the 5th but I couldn't budge it off the floor at that time. I'm confident that next round I'll pass that, however I'm looking at the squat potentially catching up and overtaking the dead lift. However I'm wondering if that's not realistic as the squat might stall before that happens since if I'm getting my butt kicked on the deadlift at this weight I'm wondering how I would fair with a squat at that level. I am wondering if my issue is not downing enough food. I do typically throw a protein shake down right before bed but for the past 3-4 days I haven't as dinners have been late and i just felt full so now that weights are heavier I think I need to be more disciplined on making sure I eat enough.

6/19/2019

Squat - 305 3x5
    Bench - 207.5 5,5,2 first fail at this weight
    Power Clean - 145 complete dud
    Chin up - green band 8,6,5

Squat was very challenging, and the last rep was slow but it wasn't a nail biter like last time. On the bench, I had taken 10 minutes before starting warm up, but my arms felt achy, like from the out part of my elbows up the edge of my triceps and also a little in my biceps. I had this feeling right after my tetnus shot and thought it was just that. I'm wondering if my arm placement on the squat is doing this. I tried taking longer rests on the warm up but it didn't go away. When I did my work sets on the bench, the first rep each time would come down super slow just burning me up. After the first two reps the tightness would go away. The weight didn't feel that bad it just felt like the first slow rep just destroyed me. I took a longer 10 minute rest after my second set. On my final I had the same super slow first rep, then I'm not sure if I did two more before failure or not. When I failed the bar rested on the safeties of the power rack and I started rolling it forward so I could get up and it felt like I started seeing fuzzy like I was on the verge of fainting, while lying on the bench. I'm not sure if the pressure of the bar as it applied pressure to parts of my body above the safety caused it. I've had failures on the bench before and this was the first time I've had this.
    On the power clean, I just didn't feel on it. When I got to the work sets, I just had no power in my jump and didn't get the bar up enough to get under it. I reset and attempted again and failed it so I called it for that workout.
    I don't know what to do about the bench. The way I was able to move the weight after the initial rep makes me think I should have easily been able to finish this. I'm wondering if 10 minutes following the squat isn't enough. These workouts are taking a long time as is. I am almost considering doing squats on M,W,F and then doing the rest of my lifts T,Th,S, or maybe I really need to move to advanced novice.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 06-19-2019 at 07:32 AM.

6/21/2019

Squat - 310 5,5,2 first fail at this weight, but resetting
    Press - 135 3x5
    Dead lift - 315 1x5

So had my first fail at the squat. My first set was really tough. Last rep was a grind. Second set I just barely finished. The last rep barely made it up. Took a long rest and I was able to get two reps. For a third I did get it up, but form went to crap and it was probably more of a good morning than a squat. Went for a fourth and wasn't coming back up, let the bar come off my back onto the safeties of the power rack. My legs were quivering like jello for a little bit after that. While I might be able to come back and make it next time I'm resetting and moving the squat to advanced novice. Taking just under 10% off to go to 280 next week. Press was all things considered an easy pass. Last rep was slow but I did not feel in any danger of failing. Finally on my third attempt at 6 plate I passed the dead lift! I think I may have been failing the last two times partially due to form. Specifically I don't think I was dragging the bar up my legs where it was just slightly in front of them. Today I dragged it up and really felt my hamstrings engage and while it was definitely a challenge it was easier than other passes I have had before. Moving to 5 lbs increments on this lift going forward.

6/24/2019

Squat - 280 3x5
    Bench - 207.5 3x5
    PC - 145 5x3 *I really think my form is crap. I'm going to reset to 120
    Chin ups - 3,3,3

I am on another business trip so I'm not at my regular gym. Just as I thought, the deload on the squat was pretty easy in terms of faster recovery and certainly didn't feel "easy" but this wasn't what I would call a struggle and didn't wipe me out. The bench was a decent pass. The thing I found most annoying was the height of the bench I was using in this particular rack felt way too darn high. Next time I'll drag a shorter one from another room over rather than do that again. For the power cleans, I was getting my jump today but I wasn't keeping my elbows high enough when catching it and I just felt like I was using my arms the whole time. I don't want to practice these with crap form or I'll make crap form permanent. I didn't have bands available that I could find, but more depressing is it seems like my chin ups have gotten worse. I'm not sure if that is from putting on more weight or what.

6/26/2019

Squat - 225 2x5
    Press - 137.5 3x5
    DL - 320 1x5

My first light day doing advanced novice. Squats were very easy, and I felt good on the rest of the lifts. The Press was a challenge today, but not a nail biter. The dead lift, which was hard, is almost what I would call an easy pass. At no time was I in a position where I thought I wasn't going to get the weight up. So overall a pretty good day, and it was weird to not have the workout take more than an hour. That alone almost makes me wish I had switch to advanced earlier...

One thing that confused me about the gym I worked out in was that the diameter of the bars was smaller. I didn't think a whole lot about it but when talking to some friends, I think the gym I was working out at threw the 35 lbs bar on everything. I think my last two workouts were actually 10 lbs lighter. It kinda ticks me off, but I'm going to going to treat the last two workouts as fails since I didn't actually do the weight. I'll be paying attention to bar diameter when I'm at a different gym from now on.

Due to snafus traveling home, didn't get Friday's workout in, had family visiting over the weekend so wife had me promise to not take off to workout.

7/1/2019

Squat - 280 3x5
    Bench - 207.5 3x5
    PC - 120 5x3
    Chinup - green band 6,6,5

Since I was 10 lbs light on my lifts last week, I went back to where it should have been. Squat was good. Bench was a relatively easy pass which I was happy about. Power Clean I'm still noticing I'm cheating using my arms. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do really back to basics exercises to try to brake that habit. I don't want to give up on it but I have to think doing the exercise wrong is worse than not doing it.

7/3/2019

Squat - 225 2x5
    Press - 137.5 3x5
    DL - 320 1x4 first fail at this weight

Had the 5th rep of the deadlift almost all the way up but failed to get lock out. Had a bit of an issue where my belt slipped and my held breath escaped near the top. Tried resetting to get a good 5th rep in, but could get the weight off the floor. Pretty pissed about it overall. Once I get 320, which will be next time, I'm considering going advanced novice on it where I'll do it every other workout B. However I do have a bit of a worry about getting almost no volume on it.

7/5/2019

Squat - 285 3x5
    Bench - 210 3x5
    PC - 125 5x3
    Chin Up - green band 8,6,6

Squat went pretty good. Felt the most strong on my third set. The bench went pretty good and I felt strong. Last rep went up slow but really didn't feel in danger of having a fail. For the Powerclean I focused much more on my jump, but on the work sets I think I may have still been using my arms to bring the bar up more so than the jump. Not as bad as other times, but I really want to do it correctly. In the chin up, I'm glad I did better than last time but I would like to make some real progress and get to the point I'm adding weight.

starting strength coach development program
    7/8/2019

Squat - 290 3x5
    Press - 140 5,4,4 first fail at this weight
    DL - 320 1x5

Squat went well. Failed the press, wasn't near misses, barely got the weight up on the last two 4th reps, and on the 5th attempt on both, didn't even get the weight above my nose. Made sure I had some sweat pants on for the deadlift to really drag it up my shins. It was a difficult pull for me but I felt strong. Also went into it pissed off and had the attitude I was going to attack that bar. I had made one adjustment I made over last time where I wore my belt slightly higher up after doing some reading and talking to people about belts slipping and getting in the way. Having the belt up slightly higher made it a lot easier and I had no issue with the belt slipping and felt like I was maintaining my pressure the whole time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast