• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    7/10/2019
    Weight: 203.6

Squat - 230 2x5
    Bench - 212.5 3x5
    PC - 130 5x3
    Chin Up - green band 9,6,5

The easy squat day felt pretty easy. Felt completely fresh for the bench. Last rep was a grind but I felt strong the entire way through and no discomfort coming off of the squat like what I sometimes feel following a heavy squat workout. Still think my power clean form sucks but I think I was doing a little better. I'm glad I seem to be adding reps on the chin up, so as long as I'm making progress that way I won't be too upset with it. Tentatively I've scheduled a session with a SS coach to get the form on my lifts look at while I'm out of town for my daughter's dance competition so maybe I'll get that power clean form corrected and identify if I have any other issues.

7/12/2019

Squat - 295 3x5
    Press - 140 4,4,4 2nd fail at this weight
    DL - 325 1x5

Squat went well with the exception of the wardrobe malfunction I had. I've had the shorts I was wearing since 2000. Never had a problem with them being too tight or anything. On my very last rep as I went down I heard a very audible "RIIIIIIIIIIIP!" and felt the shorts fan out around my ass as they split all the way up. Finished grinding out that rep, hoping no one had noticed, only to be greeted with about 10 women who had just finished a spin class walking through the weight area in various forms of snickering and outright laughing at me over in the squat rack. Luckily I had a set of sweat pants that I use for the deadlifts that I quickly threw on. The press was a spectacular fail, where I didn't even get 5 on the first set. I sure hope things improve over the weekend cause right now it looks like a deload may be in this lift's future. I was very happy with the deadlift. Felt strong. It was very hard but I felt like I could have had another 10 lbs on it, but I'm sticking with the plan.

7/15/2019

Squat - 300 3x5
    Bench 215 1x5, 205 2x5

Out of town for my daughter's dance competition. This gym had a squat rack but it was on that wasn't set up where you could bench. I did my squat workout, then since I had no one to spot and no safeties, I did a single heavy set of 5, and two back offs. The only set at my working weight was a nail biting grind. Considering this a fail for purposes of repeating this weight. Didn't have time for the power clean or chin ups due to morning schedule so got the two big lifts in and then ran back to the rental.

7/17/2019

Squat - 240 2x5
    Press - 140 4,4,4 *3rd fail at this weight
    DL - 330 1x5

Easy day on the squat felt easy. Pretty strong 3rd fail on the press. I'm going to deload 8%. I am very frustrated as I didn't hit 5 for any of the sets. I mean, I would consider moving to intermediate with a single heavy 5 and back off reps, but if I don't even hit a single set of 5, then I'm not sure that even does anything. I guess I'll see when I come back around this weight coming off the deload. Deadlift felt relatively strong, but last rep was very tough as it felt like the belt was slipping but I'm not sure that it was. Either way, got the workout done.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 07-18-2019 at 06:55 AM.

7/20/2019
    Weight - 207.1

Squat - 305 3x5
    Bench - 215 3x5
    PC - 95 5x3
    CU - Green band 6,6,4

Back in my regular gym again. Squat went well. Reached the last pass I had before deloading, and I wasn't really in any danger of failing. I don't want to put the cart before the horse but judging from this workout, I think I could have passed 310 today if I had thrown it on. I am probably about 4 lbs heavier this time around so might have some more muscle mass this time around. Bench was a pretty good pass. While the last rep was slow, it wasn't a nail biter. Happy about that as a big goal of mine is to be at 225 for the bench before I need to move it to intermediate. For the power clean I am trying to break my arm pull defect in my form. I think I made progress but I'm staying light until I un-fuck my form. Chin ups regressed, which was probably from the missed workout on monday which I didn't make up.

7/22/2019

Squat - 310 3x5
    Press - 127.5 3x5
    DL - 335 1x5

Didn't sleep well and woke up feeling miserable. Dragged myself into the gym. Had a relatively safe pass on the squat, but was almost feeling nauseated. First day of my deload on the press, and the slightly nauseated feeling continued. I was really dreading the deadlift as I was worried with as bad as I was feeling I might be looking at a fail. While I had to fight a little to lock out on the last rep, it wasn't that bad. Also following the deadlift, suddenly I started feeling good. Like whatever the funk was I was in the deadlift kicked it out of me. It was a pleasant little surprise.

7/24/2019

Squat - 250 2x5
    Bench - 217.5 3x5
    PC - 95 5x3
    CU - green band 7,6,5

Easy day on the squat felt easy. Bench was a difficult pass. Last rep was definitely a nail biter, but I'll take it! Power Clean continues to seem me doing an arm pull. I have been using lower weight to try to brake that habit and it just seems really really hard to stop it. I real close to dropping this damn lift all together since I'm not doing it properly and I wonder if I'm getting anything out of it at all right now. I'm going to move down to an empty bar until I have no arm pull, then I'll move to just 10s and progress that way. I'll give it at most another month, however I'm concerned without actual coaching to help me correct in a frequent basis it will always be screwed up, but not giving up on it yet. However to say that I'm very fucking frustrated with it would be to put it mildly. On the chin up I feel like I made some progress over last time, but not super happy with it. I was hoping that I would hit 10 on at least the first rep and then move to just pure body weight. I happy that at least my big lifts are still seeing progress.

7/26/2019

Squat - 315 3x5
    Press - 130 3x5
    DL - 340 1x4 *first fail at this weight

Squat went well overall. Last rep was a grind. Press while it felt heavy none of my reps were slow. Deadlift I am most disappointed with myself with. I believe my fail was from not maintaining form more than anything. On my last rep, I was 95% there but couldn't lock out. On that rep, I did not have a good set back and really think that contributed. I am beginning to think it is sometimes more hard to mentally maintain form when tired then how difficult the lift physically is.

On another note, it looks like I only have one more week as a novice as with school starting back up in Georgia on Aug 7th, I need to take my daughter to school in the morning and the scheduling doesn't allow me my the two hours that I currently have. So that week I'll be moving to the Andy Baker 4 day split for guys over 40. While I certainly think that I have more gains in me, realistically I am only looking at 3-4 weeks at most in NLP considering how much additional rest I am needing (10+ minutes on squat, 8+ minutes bench) and the fails that are creeping in. I would have liked to have seen how far it would go, but I do think I am far enough along that moving to an intermediate program isn't going to hurt me. I think I've heard this described as "intermediate by situation?" Hoping for a great final last week of hitting PRs.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 07-26-2019 at 07:09 AM.

7/29/2019

Squat - 320 4,5,3 *first fail at this weight
    Bench - 220 4, 205 2x5 *first fail at 220
    PC - 65 5x3
    CU - 5,4,4

Pretty bad day overall. On Squat, my arms slipped forward where my wrists were resting on the bar right around the 3rd rep, tried to get my arms reset, was standing with the weight for a little. Quickly re-racked and get my arms back in position and did my 4th rep but I was shaking and decided to abort that set. Second set I barely, and I mean barely got the 5th rep up. Final set after I grinded the 3rd rep, I went down with the weight and never made it out of the hole. Honest fail. I was feeling completely wiped out. Even after a long rest, I was still wiped out on the bench. After the fail on the first set, decided to do two back off sets to ensure that I did get some volume. On the powerclean, I was pretty much exclusively working on trying to fix my arm pull. With the light weight I think my form was decent. I'll slowly bring this up.

I had considered moving to a novice version of the 4 day split instead of jumping to intermediate next week however if Friday is also a bad day, this really might just be the end of NLP for me. If it is, I think it was a decent run. I'll see how it goes.

starting strength coach development program
    7/31/2019

Squat - 250 2x5
    Press - 132.5 3x5
    DL - 340 1x4 *second fail at this weight

Wow, this week is shaping up to be a giant heaping of fail. I guess no one ever moved on to intermediate because they were passing all their lifts. However considering I failed at the same point in the deadlift, just trying to get lockout on the last rep, pisses me off to no end.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast