starting strength gym

Thread: Once more, from the start

Default Once more, from the start

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Just checked my thread history and it seems it's been almost seven years I last logged a workout here. If I remember correctly I busted my lower back then.

So yes, I'm a 42-year old guy now, close to 100 kg's (there's 10 kg too much fat there). I have done no training what so ever for at least 3-4 years now, I just somehow lost the spark... But now I gotta pull my stuff together because I don't want end up as an old fat man. Got my gym membership renewed today and I'm going to hit the weights tomorrow. Will be doing the very basic M/W/F program with the basic lifts and 3 x 5 sets, except DL 1 x 5.

Oh, and I went vegan since the last time. It hasn't stopped me from gaining weight and actually my blood sample showed "all green" a month ago, so all is good there. I eat a lot of tofu, beans, tempeh, pulled oats (a Finnish specialty), etc. protein rich foods. Should be good to go. Cutting milk from my diet actually solved many joint aches I had been having for years.

Wish me luck

Best wishes. What is your height. I'm eager to see your gains.

Thanks! I'm 6'1.

1st workout

Squat 45 kg 3x5
    Press 25 kg 3x5
    DL Trap bar 80 kg 1x5

Felt good! The gym had gotten a trap bar and I've always felt that it would suit my lower back better in the deadlift,so I went for it. What's the consensus around here about trap bars?

I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by onkeltuka View Post
    1st workout

Squat 45 kg 3x5
    Press 25 kg 3x5
    DL Trap bar 80 kg 1x5

Felt good! The gym had gotten a trap bar and I've always felt that it would suit my lower back better in the deadlift,so I went for it. What's the consensus around here about trap bars?

I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow
    I have always liked using the trap bar for deadlifts, and had gotten a whole lot more weight lifted using it than when using a straight bar. Problem is, the mechanics of the movement are slightly different. I find the trap tends to put the body into a position where one is actually performing a squat from the ground up, rather than a "true" deadlift. It is easier to align the centers of mass of your body and the weight you are lifting. Using the straight bar, however, puts that center of mass under the scaps, where Coach Rip wants it to be, which is just a tad further forward than what you normally get with a trap bar.

So, no matter that using the trap bar historically allowed me to lift a lot more weight than I could ever get with the straight bar; I am using the straight bar now exclusively to get stronger in the lifts as designed/patterned by Coach Rip for SS. I think that my previous use of the trap bar gave me a measure of raw strength that I have been able to use in progressing with the deadlift as well as I have been since starting SS. I feel that, as you get more confident in your back's ability to support your lifting, you should consider switching over to the straight bar sooner rather than later, before the movement patterns & muscle memory get too far off.

Yes it did feel very much different, actually hit the thighs a lot harder. I'll try the BLDL next time.

Woah, I'm so sore! I definitely cannot train tomorrow...

starting strength coach development program
    Three workouts.

Friday 14/6

Squat 50 kg 3x5
    Bench 50 kg 2x5 (I've always sucked at bench)
    DL Trap bar 85 kg 1x5

I tried doing BLDL and I could feel an instant twich in my lower back where I had a herniated disc years ago. Trap bar doesn't do that so I think I'm gonna keep with it.

Monday 17/6

Squat 52,5 kg 3x5
    Press 27,5 kg 3x5
    DLTB 90 kg 1x5

Wed 19/6

Squat 55kg 3x5
    Bench 52,5 kg 4,3,2 reps (I should have stayed with 50 kg)
    DLTB 92,5 kg 1x5

So yeah, benching has been really hard for me always, I think my PR is something like 70 kg for couple of reps. I have long arms so maybe that contributes. Pressing on the other hand feels surprisingly easy, still tryin to get to grips with the technique. I try to eat a lot, too, but my problem is that body gains fat really easily.

BTW, having not been to a commercial gym for 10+ years I must say I'm awestruck by how many weird variations of exercises people seem to come up with! It seems like some game of who invents the weirdest exercise