Thread: Nate Dawg's Beginner Lawg

Default Nate Dawg's Beginner Lawg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    29yo M, 6' 3.5" / 191cm

Starting Weight: 187 lbs (low teens BF%) July 12, 2019

Current Weight: 192 lbs July 21, 2019

About me: I was on and off in the gym for the past few years, never doing squats/DLs, as I have chicken legs and not a lot of lower body strength. Ripped a lot of Bicep curls and did enough to look alright outside of the gym. With more free time on my hands now, I decided it was time to get on a program and build strength and stability. Following newb gains the first few months in the gym (5+ years ago), I haven't really seen much progression. I am a Canadian living in rural Australia (outside of Melbourne), so I don't know if I'll be able to find a SS coach to check form.

Nutrition: Started off the program eating around 3000 cals, but increased gradually to get it up to 4000. Using MyFitnessPal. Started seeing the weight gain in the 2nd week. Drinking a lot of milk, and doing what I need to get the cals in (pizza, pasta, whole milk). Aiming for 50%Carbs / 25%Protein / 25%Fat, but coming in a little higher on Fat and lower on protein (due to the switch to Whole milk). Still getting 225g+ of Protein. In previous attempts to gain, I think I was too focused on eating healthy.

Lifts: I've been doing moderate increases each workout, mostly 2.5kg on squat, press, bench, and mostly 5kg on DL. Squat is a real struggle every week, feeling like I am going to fail, but then squeaking it out. Press, Bench, and DL I think I can make a few more increases before worrying about failure.

Form Check: I apologize for the shitty video angles. These videos were done on Session #4 (07/19) and press Session #5 (07/21). I notice that I am not very stable, which will hopefully improve as I build strength. Replacing my shoes with some Chucks starting next workout may help as well. Those Adidas Boosts are not ideal by any means.

Squat - Form Check (youtube)

Deadlift - Form Check (youtube)

Bench - Form Check (youtube)

Press - Form Check (youtube)

07/12
    Squat - 3x5 @ 60kg
    Press - 3x5 @ 35kg
    DL - 1x5 @ 90kg
    BW - 187 lbs
    Calorie Goal - 3100 cal

07/14
    Squat - 3x5 @ 65kg
    Bench - 3x5 @ 60kg
    DL - 1x5 @ 95kg

07/16
    Squat - 3x5 @ 67.5kg
    Press - 3x5 @ 37.5kg
    DL - 1x5 @ 100kg
    Calorie Goal - 4000 cal

07/19
    Squat - 3x5 @ 70kg
    Bench - 3x5 @ 65kg
    DL - 1x5 @ 105kg

Did first bench work set with the wrong weight (70kg) and grinded out 5 reps. Moved back to correct weight of 65 rather than jump up to 70.

07/21
    Squat - 3x5 @ 72.5kg
    Press - 3x5 @ 40kg
    DL - 1x5 @ 107.5kg
    BW - 192 lbs

Squat was extremely tough, felt my weight shift forward on 1 or 2 of the reps. DL was tough, but managed with pretty good form. Did notice that my eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head though...

I know I have a long way to go, but I appreciate any comments/feedback!

Received feedback to lockout my squats.

And focus on keeping tense, especially in press (lower body moving too much). Shaky at bottom of squat.