starting strength gym

Thread: Tim's LP log

Default Tim's LP log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm restarting SSLP (or starting it correctly for the first time maybe). I've done the lifts in a progression in a gym a few times, but I wasn't paying much attention to nutrition or recovery, so I wasn't really doing the program. After a period of not doing much of anything, I am planning to run LP. So, here's me:

Height: 6'5"
    Body weight: ~255 lbs
    Body fat: ~24%

First session: 7/2
    Squat: 135 lbs
    Press: 75 lbs
    Deadlift: 175 lbs

Second session: 7/6 (I delayed this due to really intense DOMS in my quads)
    Squat: 145 lbs
    Bench Press: 115 lbs
    Deadlift: 185 lbs

After yesterday's session, I feel more "normally" sore, so I plan to keep going with Tues/Thurs/Sat training.

My goal is to see how far I can go with LP without gaining too much body fat. I have no SS coaches near me, and couldn't really afford one if I did. Currently I'm lifting at the local YMCA. If I can figure out how to record a video there without my phone being in someone else's way, I'll post a form check, but this may not be possible, as the weight room is somewhat cramped.

Welcome to your new start. How about seeing a SS coach once a month or once a quarter? How about online coaching? It's easier to keep at it with someone coaching you. In any event keep it up and you will be strong.

Realistically, even the occasional session or online coaching are out of my capability at the moment. I hope to figure out a way to film my lifts and analyze them & hopefully get some feedback along the way to improve my form where needed.

Tuesday, 7/9:
    Squat: 155 lbs
    Press: 80 lbs
    Deadlift: 205 lbs

At this point, I'm adding 10 lbs on squat, 5 lbs on press, and 20 lbs on deadlift. Press feels the hardest at this point, but I'm not at the point of working hip thrust into the movement yet.

Thursday, 7/11:
    Squat: 165 lbs
    Bench Press: 125 lbs
    Deadlift: 225 lbs

I feel like I wasn't sore or tired enough after this workout... I'm thinking of adding 30 lbs to my deadlift for the new couple of sessions.

Saturday: 7/13:
    Squat: 175 lbs
    Press: 85 lbs
    Deadlift: 255 lbs

Press and Deadlift are feeling hard. Deadlift especially felt heavy, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to being tired vs from ramping up my deadlift faster. Going to shoot for 275 lbs next and see how it goes.

Tuesday, 7/16:

Squat: 185 lbs
    Bench Press: 135 lbs
    Deadlift: 275 lbs

Deadlift felt really heavy. Going to move down to a 10 lb increase.

Thursday, 7/18:

Squat: 195 lbs
    Press: 90 lbs
    Deadlift: 285 lbs

I feel like my hips are starting to rise before the bar on my squats, especially in the last set. Also, on my deadlift I had to take a short break before the 4th and 5th reps. I felt like I couldn't get my core tight enough. Maybe I need a belt? Not sure if I'm supposed to count it as a completed set if I step away for ~20 seconds and then come back to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Burch View Post
    Thursday, 7/18:
    <>
    Not sure if I'm supposed to count it as a completed set if I step away for ~20 seconds and then come back to finish?
    I'll give you a "yes" vote if needed. I don't step away between deadlift reps, but I definitely take the time needed to go through the set-up steps each time: feet under the bar at mid-point, shins 1 inch away, roll over and grasp bar, bend knees to touch shins to bar, extend chest, drop belly between thighs to set lower back solid, and execute the rep. Takes about 5 or 6 seconds is all.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been slacking off at updating my log... But I have been training. I ramped up my squat and deadlift probably too far too fast. I got worried about my form and decided to back off a bunch and make sure my form is solid. I also started having some knee pains between training (also leading me to worry about form) and ended up skipping one training session to let them recover a little. Here's where I've been:

Saturday, July 20:
    Squat: 205 lbs
    Bench Press: 145 lbs
    Deadlift: 295 lbs (couldn't even get one rep. Grinded for a slow 5 count, but couldn't get it past mid-shin)

Monday, July 22:
    Squat: 210 lbs
    Press: 95 lbs
    Deadlift: 265 lbs (also, got some deadlift slippers instead of deadlifting in squat shoes)

Wednesday, July 24:
    Squat: 215 lbs
    Bench Press: 155 lbs
    Deadlift: 275 lbs

Friday, July 26:
    Squat: 220 lbs
    Press: 100 lbs
    Deadlift: 285 lbs

Monday, July 29:
    Squat: 225 lbs (Yay! finally got the next 45s on)
    Bench Press: 165 lbs
    Deadlift: 295 (This time I made all 5)

Wednesday, July 31:
    Squat: 230 lbs
    Press: 105 lbs (man, this felt hard, but the bar kept moving)
    Deadlift: 300 lbs (I was really thrilled to clear 300, but I felt like my form was horrible, and I'm not positive I locked out the last one. It seemed like I was like a millimeter from lockout for about 5 full seconds)

** At this point, I feel like I'm chasing numbers rather than getting stronger with good form. I feel OK about my press and bench (at least for now), but my balance feels off on my squat and my back feels like its rounding on my deadlft. So, I decided to deload around 20%, get some video for form checks, and strengthen my form so I can take LP further in the long run. I don't want to get in the habit of deloading when it gets tough, but I think the weight is too heavy for me to really work on form at this point.

Monday, August 5:
    Squat: 190 lbs
    Bench Press: 165 lbs (I left this at the same weight instead of increasing due to it being a week since my last bench press session)
    Deadlift: 265 lbs