starting strength gym

Thread: Kresso's First Try at Strength Training

Default Kresso's First Try at Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So this is my first time trying strength training. I've mucked around exercising before, but never with the intention to get strong. I’ve always been pretty week but I love hiking and backpacking.

I’m 34 years old, 6’2”, 177 lbs., 13.5% BF. I just started eating 3500 calories this Sunday which is a bit hard to keep it clean and not feel stuffed. Also I am lactose intolerant which stinks - literally I've always tried to "lose weight" when I started exercising in the past so I cut calories, but not this time.

Monday I did the first workout but I only used the bar cause I wasn’t quite comfortable so I read again in the book closer for today’s workout and watched a bunch of Rip’s videos on YouTube so I felt more comfortable with more weight.

Workout #0 (A) 07/29/2019 Monday
    Squats: 45x3, 45x3, 45x3, 45x5
    Press: 45x3, 45x3, 45x3, 45x5
    Deadlift: 95x3, 95x3, 95x3, 95x5

Workout#1 (B) 07/31/2019 Wednesday
    Squats: 45x3, 45x3, 45x3, 65x5, 75x5, 95x5, 105x5x3
    Benchpress: 45x3, 55x3, 65x3, 75x3, 85x5, 95x5x3
    Deadlift: 135x3, 145x3, 155x3, 165x3, 175x5, 185x5x3

The deadlift felt a lot better than Monday's and my back isn't sore at all. I really tried to push my legs out while squatting and keeping my head down.

While these numbers are probably pitiful for me this was amazing. To deadlift my body weight is crazy! In high school I couldn't even do the bar 5 times in benchpress so Im excited to get better at that.

Also if anyone sees that I really am messing up let me know. I read the book and trying to do the best I can.

Workout #2 (A) Aug 2 Friday
    Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Deadlift: 195x5x1

I also got the app and am following it's 5 sets of warmups each time.

Workout #3 (B) Aug 5 Monday
    Squat: 125x5x3
    Bench: 100x4x1 95x5x3 100x4x1
    Deadlift: 205x5x1

So I am pretty bummed about my bench press, that has always been my downfall. My work gym has 2.5 lbs plates but I am not sure if the 5 lbs jump in bench press is too much for me. I couldn't make it to 5 reps. Should I buy my own like 1.75 lbs plates and bring and use those for the bench press, or do you think something else is wrong. I really tried to do all my form well, pushing some from my feet, squeezing my shoulder blades, that breath holding technique. Anyways, im pretty disappointing messing up at benchpress number 2 and falling off the LP.

Workout #4 (A) Aug 7 Wednesday
    Squat: 135x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 215x5x1

I had to move my rest on the squat from 3 min to 5 min today and almost failed the last rep of the last set. It was pretty tough for me. I also started getting really hungry after the first hard set, so I think I need more calories in the morning. I workout early and just drink a protein shake 30 min before because eating at like 6 am hurts my stomach. For the Deadlift I didn't warm up from what the app said, I started with two 45 plates on each side, cause the 25 it recommends make me have to bend down too far.

Welcome. It is good that you are trying to gain weight by eating 3500 cal. You need to get enough protein. One g. for each pound of weight. In your case 200 lbs should be the nearest goal. So eat 200 grams of protein per day. Being lactose intolerant may make it a bit difficult but there are ways. There are 25 pound bumpers that are made the same size as 45 pounders. In any event you may be ready to start with 135 lbs on deads and move up from there.

You should indeed consume more than a protein drink before lifting. Get some stone cut oatmeal. BTW are you able to tolerate whey protein. I would guess that you are since that is the basis of most if not all protein drinks.

Also post a video of your bench. There may be a form issue and/or you just gave up too easy.

100# isn't heavy but if it's the heaviest you've ever benched then there can be a bit of a mental block because it is hard. Gotta learn how to grind for 5 seconds...

Barbell Logic Podcast - Episode 27 - Embracing the Grind | Barbell Logic

Thanks everybody. Ive upped my protein to 200 grams a day at least, and ate more before my workouts. I cant take video in the gym I am at (its a corporate gym) but I am getting a power rack for my house and so when that comes I should be able to work out at home and get some video. I tried revisiting the book and videos on the bench press and was able to progress, so im not sure if it was not enough calories before, mental block, or technique, but it worked.

Workout #4.5 Aug 9 Friday
    Dumbell Squat: 105x5x3
    Dumbell Bench: 100x5x2 100x4x1
    It was my wifes birthday and we went caving so I only had dumbells at home. Bench didn't quite make it, also dumbells seem harder to do that barbell.

Workout #5 (B) Aug 12 Monday
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 100x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1
    I really focused on my technique and going a bit faster on the bench press and it did a lot better.

Workout #6 (A) Aug 14 Wednesday
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Press: 85x5x3
    Deadlift: 235x5x1
    I messed up and didn't record my last Squat rep in the app so it didn't have me increase the weight which I didn't notice until writing this log. Grrrrrr... (Although I will say if felt easier than Monday so thats good)

I think Dumbbells are awkward. But you are making progress. Good for you.

starting strength coach development program
    yeah, as carson hinted, at 6'2 and only 177# you should be looking at ways to gain weight

lucky bugger!! lol