starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago VI, Track 10

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Replying to something you said elsewhere: I was glad to meet you as well. Didn't know you were so close to me! I've been to that gym you train at.

Good meet all around for you then! Your squat: What's your lifer-PR? Think it's in the cards that you beat that one, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Replying to something you said elsewhere: I was glad to meet you as well. Didn't know you were so close to me! I've been to that gym you train at.

Good meet all around for you then! Your squat: What's your lifer-PR? Think it's in the cards that you beat that one, too?
    All-time squat PR is 385. Looking at the video of my 370 lift at the meet, I think I could have at least matched that then, but I was concerned about pushing too much and getting injured. With the confidence I gained at the meet, I now I have my eye on 405. Getting there will depend on how consistent I can be in my training and, of course, not getting hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_T View Post
    Nice job! How many meets have you participated in?
    Thanks!

That was my second meet, the first being the 2016 Phoenix Fall Classic, also hosted by Coach Santana. There I did 365, 147.5, 440.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Thanks!

That was my second meet, the first being the 2016 Phoenix Fall Classic, also hosted by Coach Santana. There I did 365, 147.5, 440.
    Always good to make progress! I’ve never done a meet but definitely want to. I’m inspired by all these logs and how many people are out getting after it and getting strong.
    Appreciate you sharing the results!

9/25, Wednesday, first day back in gym after meet, thought I would start another HLM cycle from where I left off before the meet.

Squats: 345 x 5 x 2, 335 x 5 Very heavy, lousy form, reduced weight for last set just to get through it.
    Was going to do bench and pull-ups in the evening but felt too beat up after the afternoon squats to have another gym session.

I just started another thread in the Programming Modifications forum to describe how hard this session felt and asking for others' post-meet training experiences. Hasn't been approved yet so I can't supply a link to that one.

Only done two meets; a Fall Classic and the 2019 USSF Nats, so what follows is based on limited data.

You do things to your body at a meet that you don't even recognize in the moment. After the Fall Classic, I jumped right back into Texas Method without a water-treading week. Result: I tore my adductor in week 2 post-meet, and barely rehabbed it in time to PR my squat at Nats. After Nats, I got smarter, and my week back from comp, I did 2 sessions of 2 lifts each (getting all 4 majors in, forget the order), just titrating up to moderately challenging. So much better.

Take a week of lighter lifting, man. At week 2 post-meet, consider restarting your HLM cycle a week behind where you think you "should" be if the meet hadn't happened. Your body will thank you, I expect.

10/1, Tuesday, continuing recovery

Afternoon at gym near my office, "One lift at lunch" program.

Squats: 315 x 5 x 3, felt ok by my form is still crap for some reason. Looking at the video of my lifts at the meet, I realized that I was not really breaking at the hips to start the descent, but rather doing an anterior pelvic tilt to get started. Now I'm more consciously trying to keep by back flat and actually break at the hips at the same time as my knees. I set up my phone to video my last set but apparently just set it in photo mode instead of video.

Evening at local gym.

Press: 135 x 5 x 3, went well
    DL: 405 x 5, no issues, didn't feel too heavy, just heavier than I thought it should.

10/5, Saturday, continuing recovery LP

OK, things getting closer to being back to normal.

Squats: 325 x 5 x 3, actually felt better than Tuesday's 315 x 5 x 3. I think my leaning over is improving, really have to set up camera to video a set.
    Bench: 185 x 5 x 3, went pretty well, still some soreness in right upper arm, might switch to five sets of three, following Will Morris' advice to others to avoid fatigue in a sore area, without reducing intensity.
    DL: 425 x 5, felt good

I think I'll do one more workout following the LP model and then get back on the HLM I was following prior to the meet.

So some catching up is in order.

I decided to call the last workout, on 10/5, the Week 1 Heavy day and go from there, meaning my next workout would be Week 1 Light.

10/8, Tuesday, Week 1 Light

Squats: 295 x 5 x 2. Felt heavy, bad knee slide. Disappointing
    Press: 145 x 3 x 5. Easier than I thought it would be, actually the last set felt the best. Still some soreness in upper right arm.
    DL: 425 x 5. Good

10/9, Wednesday, HIIT, Six cycles pushing Prowler with 70 lbs.

10/11, Friday, Week 1 Medium

Squats: 315 x 5 x 2. Felt better than Tuesday's 295
    LTE: 75 x 8, 85 x 10
    Bench: 185 x 3 x 3. Easy, no real pain in arm as long as I'm tight and controlled during the eccentric.

10/15, Tuesday, Week 2 Heavy (couldn't get to gym on Monday)

Squat: 335 x 3 x 3. No real problem, finally.
    Bench: 190 x 3 x 3. Again, easy
    Chins: 11, 7, 6. Chalk would help, I think.

10/16, Wednesday HIIT, Prowler workout: 160 lbs (after some warmups to decide appropriate weight), 4 cycles of one lap there and back, total of maybe 125 feet per lap. I had been doing two laps pushing 70 lbs until I posted to the forum for advice and Rip suggested adding weight so I get winded after just one lap, repeat 4-5 times once a week.

starting strength coach development program
    RPJ,

Posting so I can find your thread...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast