What is your height?

Hey Carson,
    Thanks for pointing out that I missed that. I’m 5’10
    I’ll add it in my first post

12 Sep 2019

Squats 355x5x3 (+10lbs)
    Press 140x5x3 (+5lbs)
    Deadlift 385x5 (+10lbs)

Squats felt good. These are still moving fast for me. Taking a 3 minute break between lifts. Ensuring to hit depth, stay over the mid foot, valsalva, watch knee slide and use HIP DRAHVE!!!

Press was easier today than 135 last week. Likely to microload at 150. Watching to make sure I use no knee movement and stay strict. Doing press 1.0 strict

Deadlift is honestly just not that hard right now. It’s heavy but the bar moves decently.

I don’t know if I want to drop the deadlift volume by adding in power cleans.
    Does anyone have insight about this? Does the lowering of volume by moving it to every other workout decrease the amount of stress that is needed for recovery and adaptation?
    Does that make it less optimal?
    Does it really just build so much fatigue when you’re deadlifting that it’s not worth doing it as often?
    Last edited by Jared_T; 09-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Hey, just checking out your log. I'm very jealous of your #s! Have you been strength training for a long time or just naturally strong?

I'm not the right guy to answer your question on deadlift volume, but for me personally I've found it difficult to progress unless doing them every other workout. I don't really know how to power clean though, so I think I'm going to experiment with alternating between a light volume session and a heavier workout.

Keep up the great work, I hope you stick with it and look forward to hearing more about your progress.

ah to be young and able to deadlift every session! that would be heaven!

in all honesty, you may want to do deals every other session; your lifts are progressing nicely and i fear that much reading will take a toll.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_guy View Post
    Hey, just checking out your log. I'm very jealous of your #s! Have you been strength training for a long time or just naturally strong?

I'm not the right guy to answer your question on deadlift volume, but for me personally I've found it difficult to progress unless doing them every other workout. I don't really know how to power clean though, so I think I'm going to experiment with alternating between a light volume session and a heavier workout.

Keep up the great work, I hope you stick with it and look forward to hearing more about your progress.
    Thanks for stopping by NH_guy!
    Appreciate the insights on the way you’re training the deads. I’m thinking that if I continue to squat every day but then move deads to every 4th or 5th session like the end of advanced NLP, my numbers on the deads would just slow down or stall.

For strength training, I’d have to say that some of my lifts are just naturally strong. I’ve been in and out of a gym over the last 15-20 years. Usually last 4 weeks and then a year or two will pass. I did an 8 week NLP maybe 2 years ago and then a 4 week one maybe a year or so ago. I can’t fully remember. I did stick to CrossFit for 9 months or so and in that time my weight dropped from 250-190 but then I put it all back on over the next couple years.
    I have lacked the self discipline and focus to stay at these types of things and just lately realized I have an all or nothing, perfectionist mindset that I need to change. Managing expectations and having a plan to persevere when the going gets tough or not to plan is what I’m working on now.
    Just going to lift until the “easy” gains dry up and then adjust for new programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    ah to be young and able to deadlift every session! that would be heaven!

in all honesty, you may want to do deals every other session; your lifts are progressing nicely and i fear that much reading will take a toll.
    Thanks Mr. Bingley,
    I’ll soon have to adjust the program. I also don’t think I can do deads every single workout. Not at high intensity anyways. Definitely glad that they aren’t programmed as 3 sets of 5.
    I was thinking it might not be so bad having a back off set with a bit more volume in between heavy sessions. Will definitely do more research.

14 Sep 2019

Squat 365x5x3 (+10lbs)
    Bench 205x5x3 (+5lbs)
    Deadlift 395x5 (+10lbs)

Good session overall. Had a buddy come by my garage gym who also is getting into strength training.

Squats moved well. I have a bit of a lean to the right that I need to correct. Soon going to drop to 5lb increases.

Bench was hard. Feels like I’m grinding out the last rep of the last set every time I do these now. Gonna ride the 5lb jumps to failure before micro loading or adding more bench volume.

Deads weren’t too bad. Bar moved well until the last rep and it slowed a bit. I let my breath out on the ascent and I think that messed me up.

Happy to hit all the lifts and will move up next session.
    Last edited by Jared_T; 09-15-2019 at 06:42 AM.

18 Sep 2019

Squat 375x5x3 (+10lbs)
    Press 145x5x3 (+5lbs)
    Deadlift 405x5 (+10lbs)

Very happy with this session overall. Ball season has ended so now I can turn all my focus over to lifting.

Squats moved well. Got too far bent over on my very last rep and had to push harder to get up.

Presses were the easiest lift by far. They moved well. Going to attempt 5 more lbs next session.

Deads felt quite heavy. The last two got a little too far forward and were harder than needed. Partly because I had my knee sleeves pulled down around to my ankles.

Next session I’m going to only add 5lbs to squats, go for 210 on the bench and I’m going to add in the cleans. Likely to start at 150-175 on those.

Body weight 252 this morn.

When would you guys suggest adding in the light squat day?

starting strength coach development program
    22 Sep 2019

Squat 380x5x3 (+5lbs)
    Bench 210x5x3 (+5lbs)
    Power Clean 110x3x5

Had a funny thing happen on my 3rd set. The first rep I leaned too far forward so on the ascent at the top I had to two foot jump almost a foot forward and catch myself standing. That could’ve been bad...
    Backed up and finished the set. 5 minute breaks between.

Bench is heavy as expected. Hit all the sets. Going to change to 2.5lb jumps moving forward. Hoping to milk it for awhile. 20lbs maybe? No idea what I could even expect. The next variable will be more volume on the bench. Probably a 4th set on bench days.

Power cleans I decided to jump in lower just to get used to the motion again and get the body ready for the battering. I only have iron plates so I have to catch the bar on the thighs on the way down. It’s also hard on the joints.
    My single clean PR is 245 from CrossFit days.

My PR high bar squat in CrossFit was 275 for 3 and I failed the 4th attempt. Never did low bar before Starting Strength. My first kick at the can started at 225 for 3 sets of 5 and I jumped up from there pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Jared_T; 09-23-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast