starting strength gym

Thread: 49 yo beginner lifting question

Default 49 yo beginner lifting question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been in the gym since January. Started the SS program a couple months ago. I’m finding my back is my limiter. When squatting, the weight feels super heavy but my legs can handle the weight. So, how do I manage this? Should I do more back work and slow the squat progression or is it just time before my body adjusts to lifting heavy? Appreciate any thoughts / advice.

Hey Umbach,
    First thoughts are deload, nail your form through online or in person coaching and “LP” your lagging back strength until it isn’t the limiting factor.

I second Jared's thoughts on a form check. Height, weight, where are your lifts now? Are you doing the program as written or throwing in some variation?

Thanks guys. I have been quite diligent with Rip’s online videos for technique.
    I’m 6’3” and 215#
    My DL work set is 220 and my squat work set is 210. I’m doing the program as rx. Only add lat/ pull-up sets at the end.
    What do you mean by “LP” my back?

I simply meant by deloading and doing the correct form at appropriate weights over time, your back muscles will get stronger in a “linear progression” fashion. (Just a play on words).
    Then once you’re back at current strength levels you hopefully won’t feel that your back muscles are too weak for the weights and you won’t feel as leg dominant.

The goal is to be lifting the rest of your life so a small deload doesn’t mean much in terms of time lost. In fact, you’ll likely go further on LP when you give your body, bones, muscles, joints etc the time to adjust to training. You’ll end up further ahead in the long run is my guess.

Deloading may well be a good idea but the idea of going to a Starting Strength coach from time to time is even better.
    It's unusual that you squat weights are so close to you DL weights. That may indicate a need to be checked out by a Starting Strength coach as well.
    Go, spend a little money to save you a great deal of heartache in the long run.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Jared and Carson. All makes sense. Appreciate your thoughts. Think I’ll try all the above.