starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Book of James - Novice Linear Progression

Default The Book of James - Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The Facts: I'm 44 years old, 5'11", 226lbs. My sleep is shoddy, probably average around six hours a night. I had a lumbar microdiscectomy in 2004. I did about a year of a beginner bodybuilding type workout back in my late teens and I've done a few months here and there over the years but never consistently and never with any real grasp on strength training. I stopped weight training because I discovered grappling martial arts. After that it became a matter of time scarcity and whenever I had to choose between strength and conditioning and grappling I chose grappling. About five years ago I was in college and had a string of injuries everytime I tried to get back into training. I figure old age caught up with me.

I was attracted to Starting Strength because it gave a very detailed explanation of how to get stronger and I was able to absorb that in a way that clicked in my brain, convinced me I was a novice and provided me with just enough information to effectively get started without so much information that I lost focus before starting.

I started the NLP on 8/26/19 after piddling around for a couple months with various magazine workouts and a two week stint trying to do 5/3/1 after reading an article about it on T-Nation. It took about that long to keep reading and realize that I was not in fact at a point in time where that'd be the best use of my time. I missed a couple weeks from the gym, maybe more like a month reading "Starting Strength" and then got rolling. I had a little idea of what my work weights would look like from the fooling around I'd been doing so here goes three weeks and a day of workouts.

Linear Progress Log.jpg

So far this is awesome for me, I'm enjoying it and I feel great, the ques are easy to follow. The only issue is I wish it were possible to go hit it every day, I feel the urge most days. I know I'd burn out on it if I did though. The low volume nature these workouts is keeping me awfully hungry workout to workout, I get to the gym and I feel like a dog straining against the leash. Thanks for your time.

Welcome. Why are your deadlift numbers so much lower than your squat numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Why are your deadlift numbers so much lower than your squat numbers?
    I had a microdiscectomy (back surgery) from that I have neuropathy and muscular degeneration in my right leg, in the glute, hamstring and calf. I've been afraid of deadlift because of that. I just started low and have stuck with five pound jumps. During the years since my surgery I've done a lot of bodyweight squats, I guess I just feel pretty comfortable squatting, not super comfortable deadlifting. My confidence has been growing with each workout though.

Welcome and good luck!

Had a good second workout for the week. I got squirrelly and jumped ten on squat even though I planned on only jumping five. I think five pound jumps for bench press and shoulder press are perfect I decided to try a few ten pound jumps on deadlift and get it comparable to my squat given the response here. My rationale had been that my erectors were already getting good work in squatting but if they're strong enough to squat then I'm probably safe deadlifting a good deal more than I have been. I just started trying hook grip. It's painful, I could only stand it for the first three sets of deadlift, I figure I'll build up my tolerance for it over time, starting with deadlifting the first couple sets every workout.

9/18/19
    Squat
    45*10
    135*5
    185*5
    225*5
    245*2
    265*2
    275*5*3

Bench Press
    45*10
    95*5
    135*5
    175*5
    195*2
    210*5*3

Deadlift
    135*5
    165*5
    185*5
    200*2
    215*2
    230*5

Seems to me you are making reasonable decisions. Keep up the good work.

I would drop your squat increases to 5# jumps and increase your deadlift jumps to at least 10# until your deadlift is considerably heavier than your squat. Maybe also introduce a light squat day (85% of 5RM) on middle day to expedite the correction and alleviate fatigue. With this scheme, squatting and deadlifting 3 times per week (so, 10# increase per week on squat; 30# per week on deadlift), they should meet up in 2.5 weeks at 300#. After 4 weeks you would have your deadlift up to 350#, a full 35# above your squat. Though you will likely need to decrease your heavy deadlifts frequency before you get there. Main thing: plan a way to increase your deadlift further than your squat increases each week for the next month or two and see where that gets you. My two cents.

FWIW (and it might not be worth much as I'm still just a 45 year old, 214#; 6'0", late novice/early intermediate) -- I've recently taken action to get more separation b/w those two lifts for myself. My 5-rep squat is currently at 315#, and my 5-rep deadlift is at 355#. But at the end of 4 weeks I hope to have them 55# apart.
    Last edited by BastiatBB; 09-19-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Solid work James. Hope you keep cruising. Looking forward to seeing the progress

Is there a reason why my deadlift weight should be more than my squat weight or that I should be especially concerned with inverting the current relationship curve between them?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-jitsu_James View Post
    Is there a reason why my deadlift weight should be more than my squat weight or that I should be especially concerned with inverting the current relationship curve between them?
    See: "Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1: Perception vs Reality"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast