starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Book of James - Novice Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Santana's article is a good one. An important point he makes is that deadlift drives your lower back strength for squatting in a way that squatting doesn't do for the deadlift. Assuming you're structurally sound (I saw you've got a back surgery in the background) the deadlift should be your biggest lift by a noticeable margin. My gap is 70lbs right now (425sq, 495dl) and my squats feel better than at any other time of life. I never feel like my low back is a squat limiter. That gap is likely to shrink for me soon but it's less of an issue %wise agter awhile (guys who squatted 630 at my last meet pulled 700 on DL; same gap as mine but much lower by %).

The recommendation to go +5 on SQ and +10 on DL is a good one while you can maintain it. Introducing light squats midweek may also be a good suggestion but that's generally for a bit later in LP.

You're doing great, and you've found the best program for gaining strength quickly. Keep at it!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback greatly.

I'm 68 and teach Mushin Ryu Jujitsu along with a recent return to competitive powerlifting. Granted, teaching as Sensei is less physically demanding than hugging it out on the mat. In any event, Mushin Ryu is mainly a stand up style more allied with Wally Jay's Danzan Ryu and Korean Hapkido with strikes and kicks along with the more familiar joint locks, pins, and strangles. It's self defense rather than a competitive sport.

Anyhoo, the real challenge for me, probably you too, is the energy juggling required to do both and do them with some hope of distinction. Baker and Sully's book The Barbell Prescription makes it clear that volume is the foe of us older folks and intensity is necessary to improve or maintain strength.

I'll be glad to offer any additional advice I can.

Having read the article and heard the feedback here I'm feeling like maybe I should back off squat weight a bit, kind of reset.

The squat sets have gotten a LOT harder the last couple of jumps and they leave my back feeling very "worked out" and tired.

Being honest with myself I'd kind of gotten it in my mind to "get to 300 as fast as I can" on squats. I've had some strenuous extra workout activities that I've had to do this week anyway, I don't really feel like I'm going to be ready to squat 280 tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll reset to 225 and keep trucking with 5# jumps on squat and try to get three or four 10# jumps out of my deadlift. If I can get four then that'll put me 45# out ahead of my squat progression.

You guys reckon it'd be alright to do working sets of ten with the 225 and kind of let the number fall as the jumps move them back into the appropriate level of resistance?

Mr Hurling at this time I am not doing any martial arts training at all. The nearest place to train is quite far away and my work schedule doesn't make any of the classes convenient. I'm hoping that around middle of next year I'll be able to get a training environment set up here at home and start rolling around with my sons, they're just boys yet but they'll benefit from it a good bit and I'll benefit from all that time I spend with them. I hope eventually to get back to it but the stars have to align.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-jitsu_James View Post
    Being honest with myself I'd kind of gotten it in my mind to "get to 300 as fast as I can" on squats.
    And there it is. So get that out of your mind. There are no extra brownie points for getting to any particular number faster. Take the time and weight you need to recover and get incrementally stronger between sessions. I may be something of an iconoclast, or dare I say it, (gasp) a heretic in the SS-verse, because I have advised others to not try to go to fast. Maybe 2 lbs. a week or even a month is the best you can do. But even at that rate of gain, that is 24-104 lbs. increase in a year's time.

But if you persist, you almost certainly get there.

I missed my workout yesterday but it occurred to me that yesterday's experience is actually why I'm doing this in the first place and so is relevant to this log.

Yesterday I took my four children and their homeschool group to the zoo. I think the monkeys were pretty sure that my kids were the attraction and they were the spectators.

Anyway, it was practically eight hours of walking, carrying a backpack or a kid in a toddler sling and for most of it I was pulling a wagon with our ice chest, lunch sundries and a case of water bottles, there was also usually at least one kid on piled into it. I played chase, I carried children, hoisted them to see attractions, remained spatially aware of my four kids plus twenty or so others, and remained at ease enough to actually enjoy the whole experience. This is in contrast to the last time we went when we stayed only about five hours and I was physically and mentally exhausted by the end and tired to the point of not having much fun with it anymore less than half way through.

I'm super sore today but I was strong yesterday, stronger than I've been in a long time in a way that improved mine and my family's quality of life. Thanks Starting Strength.

Workout 9/23.

Squat
    45*10
    85*5
    135*5
    185*5
    225*5*3

Bench
    45*10
    95*5
    135*5
    185*5*3

Deadlift
    135*5
    185*5
    205*5
    225*5
    245*5

This workout was really hard for some reason. 225 felt so much heavier than it did last time I did it. I think being so sore from last Friday and not sleeping because of it and just not eating like I should from being tired took a toll. I also have some AC joint pain in my right shoulder, which is why I lowered my bench weight. I've had this before but never this bad. I started doing corrective exercises for scapular weakness last night and I slept much better last night. Deadlift felt good but exhausting and hook grip sucks.

Thanks for reading.

Training from 9/25/19

Tonight felt pretty good. My eating is clean. I've decided to "freeze" my squat progression until I can build up good ratios with my deadlift so that's why no progression this session. I've been having some AC joint pain this week. I believe it's due to scapular weakness and I've been doing some work to try to mitigate that, I'm gonna give it a week or two and reassess before going to the doctor about it.

Squat 45*10; 85*5; 135*5; 185*5; 225*5*3.
    Press 45*10; 85*5; 105*5; 120*5*3.
    Deadlift 135*5; 185*5; 215*5; 235*5; 255*5.

One observation is, I think I might have one more 10lb progression in deadlift in me and maybe, MAYBE I have one more 5lb jump for press. Unless I feel a LOT stronger Monday or I my AC joint is MUCH better I'll be switching to 2.5lb progressions. I order a set of micro plates today as there are none at my gym. I also ordered some straps. I felt pretty good about pull 255 without the straps or a belt but I think it's not going to be much longer before I need them. Hook grip up until 215 this day and yep, it still sucks.
    Last edited by Dude-jitsu_James; 09-27-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Training for 9/28/219

Squat 45*5; 85*5; 135*5; 185*5; 225*5.
    Bench 45*10; 95*5; 135*5; 155*5; 185*5*3.
    Deadlift 135*5; 190*5; 225*5; 245*2; 265*5.

I'm struggling with that AC pain so I just chilling on bench and I'm my squat is frozen while I'm making some space between deadlift and squat.Deadlift felt good. Maybe I have another ten pound progression before I have to switch to five. Hook grip up to 225 tonight and it was better, still sucked but it was better.

starting strength coach development program
    Ugh, I had a gout flare up so I didn't train on Monday, I went last night instead but I was still hurting so I just did some hyper extensions and deadlifts.

Deadlift 135*5*2; 185*5; 225*5; 245*2; 265*2; 275*5.

This was the first time I have ever really like rehearsed the queues and really focused on them and performed each queue in sequence. I also added a spot of liquid chalk to my hands and these two things were life changing. Last week 265 felt precarious maybe, last night 275 felt like a piece of cake, it felt like I could pull the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast