Press 60
    Deadlift 185

Lifts now (Oct 2, 2019)
    Squat 245
    Bench 155
    Press 85
    Deadlift 295
    Cleans 75 (just started)

I began my weight lifting journey last year in June, when I committed to doing 5/3/1 for an entire year. After completing my year, I decided that the monthly weight increases wasn't working very well for me, so I decided to start the SS NLP. I have been on it for just over a month now, with great results. I wish I had switched sooner, but I feel that the year of prep doing 5/3/1 wasn't entirely useless.

I thought I would start a log for some motivation. Now that the weights are getting a bit heavy, I am starting to get some fear under the bar for Squats, but I have yet to miss a rep. Deadlifts are starting to make me feel dizzy afterwards, and I am getting some grip issues on the last few reps. I have had to move to mixed grip for these.

I just started cleans. I initially tried to do 95 pounds, and boy did I feel it the next day. I've dropped it down a bit to build back up. They are pretty fun, though.
    Last edited by Kyle Sulphur; 10-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Hey man, welcome to the forums, (from a fellow Canadian).
    Looks like you’ve made great progress so far. Have you been losing, maintaining or gaining weight since starting LP?
    I recommend “failing” a warmup squat so you’ll know what to do if ever you have to.
    Hopefully your training can be adjusted before actually having to fail though. I don’t think it’s great to be training your squat so high in intensity that you’re near failure.

Looking forward to seeing your progress
    Last edited by Jared_T; 10-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared_T View Post
    Hey man, welcome to the forums, (from a fellow ����).
    Looks like you’ve made great progress so far. Have you been losing, maintaining or gaining weight since starting LP?
    I recommend “failing” a warmup squat so you’ll know what to do if ever you have to.
    Hopefully your training can be adjusted before actually having to fail though. I don’t think it’s great to be training your squat so high in intensity that you’re near failure.

Looking forward to seeing your progress

Hi Jared,

Thanks for reading! When I started my 5/3/1 I initially lost approximately 20 pounds over the year, but since starting the SS NLP I haven't lost any weight, but my waist is shrinking for sure.

I wouldn't say I logically believe I WILL fail, but it's more a mental thing... a feeling of nervousness? Either way, I will have to give 'failing' a try. Maybe it will help with the nerves. Thanks again!

Practice failing simply to gain confidence as to what to do if the weight is too much or you lose balance. It really can help. Do you use a rack? If so, do you have safety bars or pins for the weights to fall on them? Do you lift in a commercial gym or in your home or garage?

Northern BC is probably hundreds of miles from Vancouver but it may be useful to check in with the certified Starting Strength coach there in order to keep you safe and on track as the numbers go up. Here's a link SSCA : Coaching If that is not possible you may wish to check into online coaching.

Best wishes to you.

Hey Kyle! Always good to see another Canuck join the flock.

With regards to those nerves about getting under the bar, I found a funny thing happened to my mentality once I passed 315x5 on squats. We talk a lot about the fear that comes along with getting under a bar that's always 5 lbs heavier than the last time. However, somewhere along the way I found my mentality switch from "Oh shit, five more pounds," to "Well, it's only five more pounds." It was all subconscious, and part of it was just learning how to grind and what it feels like, but it was helpful. I've done some intermediate programming, had some set backs, rerun an LP, returned to intermediate-ish programming, all without failing a squat in over a year. Pick up a five pound plate and just feel it. It's not that heavy

Thanks Guys. Nice to see all the love!

Yes, I squat in a commercial gym with a power rack and they do have the pins. I just have never had to use them. I will give failing a try and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice guys.

Oct 3, 2019
    Squats 245 3x5
    Bench 155 3x5
    Cleans 80 5x3

Video of squats today
    YouTube

It appears I need to work on my tightness some more. My first two reps look solid, but then it slowly goes to shit as I get fatigued. Hopefully when my belt arrives next week that will help a bit too.
    Last edited by Kyle Sulphur; 10-08-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksulphur View Post
    Squats 240 3x5
    Bench 155 3x5
    Cleans 80 5x3

Video of squats today
    YouTube
    Cleans went well today. Still had a hard time racking them but my jumps were way better. I feel it going really far up now. Just gotta commit to the jump.

I also 'failed' after one of my Squat warm up sets. That definitely helped a lot. Thanks for the tip, guys.
    Last edited by Kyle Sulphur; 10-04-2019 at 04:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats 250 3x5
    Press 90 3x5
    Deadlift 305 1x2

Was not able to make it to the gym for my last session on Sunday. Thought it would be easier today with the extra rest, but it Definitely was not. All three lifts were a huge struggle and I just ran out of gas on my deadlifts.

I definitely don't feel recovered even after multiple days.
    Last edited by Kyle Sulphur; 10-08-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast