starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing Big Chris and creating Strong Chris

Default Killing Big Chris and creating Strong Chris

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Alright it is time. It is time to kill the man who accepted the nickname “Big Chris” my whole life. I have fought with weight up and down throughout my life and always landed on the up side, even after dramatic loss. I was 300 lbs by the time I was a freshman in high school at 12 years old. I got on a double lunch program and by the time I graduated I weighed 400 lbs. I stayed that weight or gained for the next decade. I didn’t even contemplate trying to lose weight until I met my wife, I was 25. By that time I had learned to do everything I wanted to do at 400+ lbs. I have walked into the gym and done it myself, spending hours on the treadmill/bike and not really knowing what to do with weight training just used the pec deck and curls. I have spent time running and running and running (I can’t stand that). I did CrossFit for a while that worked well for me, I had made it down to 270# but the intensity and impact caught up with me. I broke my leg playing soccer and near the end of the recovery I broke my foot.

Now I am 38 and currently weigh 330 lbs. I want to be strong and weigh 250 lbs. I want to be able to do any physical task and look good doing it. I want to make sure I am useful for my whole life.

I did my first training session on Friday via the app and bought the book this week. I will be doing my first Squat/Bench/Deadlift session tomorrow morning and I look forward to setting the numbers that I am going to use through my SSNLP. Though I am going to track my numbers through the app I am going to continue to post on here for accountabilty and hopefully to encourage others. Feel free to make any comment and reach out if you want to know anything.

Hey Chris,
    Welcome to the logs. Looking forward to seeing your progress. The extra weight you’ve carried around likely means you’re going to put up some solid numbers and move a lot of weight on your fahves.
    How tall are you?
    I see you want to get down to 250, what is your nutrition plan while doing the novice program?
    One thing you need to make sure you focus on is still losing weight. You can get plenty strong while still cutting fat.
    Study every form check you can to ensure you do your best to stay healthy and injury free as well.
    Best of luck moving forward!

Jared,

I am 6’1”

Currently I am doing a mix of Intermittent Fasting and Extended Fast for therapeutic weight loss as layer out by Dr. Jason Fung. It looks like a modified version of what Stef uses as a requirement for those who are excessively obese in her gym. I have also talked with Robert Santana and he agreed that they plan I have is good for my current weight and goals. As my weight drops I will begin to time my meal window to start right before I lift and include some carbohydrates. I also do cardio 6 days a week. On lifting days I walk on the treadmill doing an incline and/or ride on the bike. On non weight training days I walk in the park for and hour in the morning and an hour at lunch for some sun and fresh air.

As for moving weight I hope the old adage “Mass moves mass” works in this case and I am just sneaky strong from carrying around the extra for so long.

You have a great adventure before you as long as you don't give up. If strength training becomes habitual for the long hall you will meet your goals for sure. I would add that in your state you have five Starting Strength coaches. Go see one at least from time to time to make sure your progress is sustained in a safe way. Best wishes to you.

Todays session:

Squat 225lbs Bench 205lbs Deadlift 315.

Everything felt good. After lifting did 30 minutes of hills on the bike and then 30 minutes of incline on the treadmill.

Its a long road but I am on it.

Light non training day today. Got outside and did a 6 mile walk. Sun shine and fresh air.

Squat 230x5x3
    Press 125x5x3
    Deadlift 325x5
    Body Weight 325 (down from 330)

Everything felt good today. The back was a little tight when I was getting started and I was concerned what it would feel like when I got to the DL’s but by the time I was ready to pull everything felt really good.

20,000 steps today=a nice long walk in the cool fall weather. Weighing in mid day at 325 and feel recovered fully from yesterday, wasnt to sore to begin with. The app says because I deadlifted body weight that I can start subbing a power clean for one of my dead lift days. Anyone not add the PC right away and keep the deadlift going?

Another day in the books to finish out the week.
    Kept the deadlift at least for today so numbers are now:
    Squat: 235x5x3
    Bench: 210x5x3
    Deadlift: 335x5
    Body weight: 320

Every thing was feeling good. Did my 30 min on the bike and 30 min incline walk after as well as some back extensions and knee raises.

Putting the axe on the stone!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
    20,000 steps today=a nice long walk in the cool fall weather. Weighing in mid day at 325 and feel recovered fully from yesterday, wasnt to sore to begin with. The app says because I deadlifted body weight that I can start subbing a power clean for one of my dead lift days. Anyone not add the PC right away and keep the deadlift going?
    Hey Chris, the app is just a tool to help out. If your deadlift is progressing steady and you don't feel like it is beating you up. I'd personally stick with it. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast