starting strength gym

Thread: Kirk's Training Log

Default Kirk's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just started off again with strength training at 27, 6'1, 190 lbs. So far I have managed to go from 255 lbs (heaviest was 2 years ago at 265) down to 190 lbs, but in that transition I lost a ton of usable muscle. I also was moved from an active job at work to a sedentary job which furthered the slide and was the reason for my need to lose weight.

Today was my first day actually doing the program, and not just messing around at the gym on random machines:

Squat 3 x 5 - 115 lbs

Felt good but i feel like my knees are going too wide. I see a lot of other people keeping their legs further inwards but doing that for me causes a fair amount of discomfort. I'm also having trouble getting parallel. Could it just be that my flexibility is trash and my body is just tight? Possibly.

Press 3 x 5 - 95 lbs

I started off my first set with 65 lbs and it was way too light. I ended up putting a 25 on each side and that seemed to be just enough resistance to make it feel like a workout. I think next time I'm going to up it 20 lbs to make it more of a challenge. One thing I did notice is that my wrists were killing me on the last set. Not surprising considering I sit at a computer every day. I have lost a significant amount of mass from my wrists and forearms during my weight loss.

Deadlift 2 x 5 - 135 lbs

I started off with two 45 lb plates and even though it was too light I did my reps with it just to not put excess strain on myself today. I think I should try with 155 next time to see if that is more fitting. I never imagined that I would be able to deadlift more than I squat, and I think it may be necessary to do some serious stretching over the next couple of days until I get my flexibility in my lower body going. I also did 2 sets of this just because it was too light, next gym session i'm going to try to find a weight that's more appropriate.

I may go to a training session at Starting Strength Dallas at some point just to get some pointers on my form because right now I can tell its not as tight as it should be, I'm not squatting with the form I should. Even though I previously mentioned the discomfort, incorrect form to me is almost always a mental game. Mental toughness and drive is much harder to develop than physical strength and drive in my case (and probably others as well).

Squat 3 x 5 - N/A

I waited for the squat rack for 30 minutes and had to get a move on so I ended up doing leg presses to the equivalent of around 225 pounds. Felt good, feet turned out my hips have no issues this week. The amount I can do here vs squat makes me think either my “core” is weak or I’m not doing something right on squat. Really considering getting with a trainer at least once.

Press 3 x 5 - 105 lbs

Almost too light today on this. I think I had a major jump in strength and it shows. I’m gong to up it to where I’m running a 35lb plate on each side next workout and see where that takes me.

Deadlift 1 x 5 - 135 lbs

Whoa nelly. I change my form closer to what the book shows and it got MUCH harder and felt like I worked more muscles. I think this weight should stay the same for the next session until I get my form down. I was gassed at the end of this set but I also wasn’t resting properly between other sets due to time constraints.

all in all today was semi successful and I can feel myself getting stronger. Dietary changes such as adding two eggs to my breakfast seem to have helped fill the void that was once there between breakfast and lunch. Keto seems to be okay for now on this strength training program, we shall see how long I can go without breaking out the carbs though. As of right now my weight is 189.8 so I’m still losing weight vs gaining but that was my ultimate goal anyways since beginning at my starting weight. Till next time

Welcome form change did you make that made it seem harder for Deadlift? Were you doing what is called sumo, ie., were you lifting with legs outside your arms?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome form change did you make that made it seem harder for Deadlift? Were you doing what is called sumo, ie., were you lifting with legs outside your arms?
    Exactly. I went from sumo to conventional. I felt like it was much harder but also felt better in a way.

Warmed up with leg press because as usual the squat rack had a wait for it. Other than that it went smoothly.

Squat 3 x 5 - 135 lbs

Still having issues getting depth and it feels like my hips are being torn apart when I go down. I also notice that my knees are all over the place as well, but I’ve seen this on other lifters who are just getting in to starting starting strength as well so I’m confident this will go away as I begin to gain strength in my legs. I think it’s time to invest in some quality shoes instead of chucks. But in reality this is almost guaranteed to be form. I’m gong to try to record myself on a Sunday in the near future because there is barely ever anybody in there, sadly I’ll be taking a full 2 weeks off because we are going on vacation to Europe so hopefully what little gains I have made aren’t lost. I should also mention that 135 isn't a hard weight for me to lower, its just when I begin to get close to parallel it begins to get really tight in my hips.

Bench 3 x 5 - 135 lbs

Felt strong. In the past I never had an issue getting up over 200 lbs on bench press, I just always stalled at around 235. I’m going to try a full plate next time. One thing that is slightly scary to me is I have never had to bench without a spotter before, and even though there are safety rungs, it still creeps me out and I feel as if that is what kept me from putting a full plate on this time.

Deadlift 2 x 5 - 155

I would have only done one set, but I was so convinced with how rough it was last time that this weight would be hard I ended up having to do another heavier set. Wasn’t gassed like last time and easily could have added more weight. I also noticed though that my form needs work, just like on my other lifts. I noticed one of my feet became cocked out to one side during the course of the lift, and the other stayed in the same position, so I'm guessing it was just a subconscious thing that I will need to work on in the future. There is always next time.

All-in-all it was a good lift and I can still actively feel myself getting stronger in day to day tasks. Walking up two flights of stairs is getting easier and I don't feel fatigued like I was beginning to towards the end of weight loss. I also noticed that my back isn't hurting as badly as it was before I started, but the pinched nerve is still there and still rears its head during the day sometimes.
    Last edited by Kirk; 10-25-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Squat 3 x 5 - 155lbs

Same as usual, no change in feel to my hips.

Press 3 x 5 - 115lbs

Felt strong and it was actually the first time I actually felt like I was “working out” when doing the exercise. Probably going to move to a full plate next time depending.

Deadlift 1 x 5 - 185lbs

Again felt like the first time I actually had to push myself. It felt amazing and I felt no lower back pain. It felt awesome to lift that barbell off the ground.

All in all not as detailed as usual but this was a pretty boring session. I didn’t feel anything I haven’t before, and it’s really not worth noting that my squat form and feel suck because it’s not gong to change until I figure out what’s wrong with a coach of some sort. Next month I have it scheduled to go train with a guy who works with local strongman events and he’s going to help me on squat form so I’m ready to get the bugs worked out.

starting strength coach development program
    I will be out of the country for 12 days or so, so my training log will end here until mid November.