starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cranky knees, squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stand taller at the top. You are too bent over, putting unnecessary stress on your lower back.

Yes, you should push your hips back, but you must break at knees and hips simultaneously. Your knees should move forward some (or more correctly, OUT in parallel direction to your feet) at the beginning of the descent.

From the book:
    If the knees are moving out as the hips move back and the femurs externally rotate, their forward travel will be limited to that which is normal for your anthropometry in a correct squat, where all of the forward knee travel occurs in the first third or half of the dissent. After that, the knees just stay in place and the hips account for the rest of the movement. So, from the very top, bend over, shove the knees forward *and* out to the place where they will end up, just in front of the toes, and stop them there; the rest of the descent will consist of the hips moving back and down.
    It would be better if you filmed your squat from 45 degrees behind you. We can't see your full setup or all that is happening from straight sideways.

Will do and thanks. Been through the book a few times now - - - it's kinda a amazing how much meat rip has given us to digest (the carve out is appreciated)

Squat YouTube
    Holy butt wink batman. Should I lean even further down towards horizontal to correct? Standing a bit taller and allowing my knees to track a bit forward today.

Press - YouTube
    Getting really heavy, actually failed to lock out on the last set of last rep today after a long grind.

Deadlift - YouTube
    I'm fighting my 4" belt to take an adequate breath AND fully compress the lumbar at the bottom. I was able to not reset for the first 4, 5th lost breath at top.
    Best to order a Best belt 3" now, wait for the 2.5", or some other option? Looks like they are a month backlogged.

Thanks folks!

That's not bad butt wink. But you do need to get lower still. And your stance is probably too wide now.

Press form needs a lot of work. Your left wrist is in extension and your elbows are way behind the bar. Track them toward the wall on way down and don't dip your elbows behind the bar.

Your deadlift needs even more work, I'm afraid. It doesn't look like you are even trying to set your back in hard extension.

I don't mean to be discouraging. I encourage you to meet with an actual Starting Strength Coach in person to help you sort these things out. It is an investment in your long-term health and well-being. Well worth a few sessions.
    Last edited by BastiatBB; 11-08-2019 at 10:15 PM.

You are breathing too much at the bottom of the Deadlift movement. As Bastiat said you are not setting your back in hard extension. Finally, go see a starting strength coach. They can straighten out your technique fairly easily.

As Bastiat wrote don't be discouraged. Just make it a point to get the technique as right as possible. Also know that from time to time you will need to get a recheck because form creep always sneaks back.

No discouragement - just looking to continue improving in life and a wall was hit. I thank you each for the awesome help.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll be meeting Karl on Wed the 27th (working around my wife's teaching schedule, active kids schedules, and my own coach duties proved to be a bit challenging). Exciting stuff.

I'll continue to lift until then.

Know that he looks like the Hulk but he is very kind and straightforward. You will never be confused by his instructions. He may scare you at first but he won't confuse you.

Love it
    Hopefully in 4-5 years folks will say the same of me

I think may interest you. Page Not Found | Facebook

starting strength coach development program
    Good day Carson - the link is saying page not found. Do you have another way of posting it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast