starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cranky knees, squat form check

Default Cranky knees, squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

Good day folks. I am 2 months in, up 15#s of bodyweight (at 210), and just took a 20% deload when I finally failed a set.

I've noticed that my knees and the tops of my quads where they join the knees are staying sore. I've also noticed some significant increase in quad size .

Coming out of the hole, my quads are pushing far harder than my hams / glutes.

Am I missing something glaring here on the form - or is it just something to be dealt with and I should stop whining?

Note that I'm 5'11 with a 26" inseam - so freakishly long torso and short legs

Finally, forgive the sweater, it was about 20* in the garage - I have a wide belt cinched down under it.

Bar is way too high -- these are not low bar back squats. Review bar placement in the SS book and videos.

Your squat is also too high -- you aren't breaking parallel, and in most reps you aren't even close.

Fix your bar positioning and thus get more horizontal with your torso and be sure to break parallel on descent, and then you should find your hips and glutes engaging more properly, taking stress off your knees.

I was also going to ask why on Earth you would deload 20% just because of one missed set ... but if you aren't getting deep enough you probably need to deload and work back up with a proper squat anyway.

Keep at it, and good luck.
    Last edited by BastiatBB; 11-01-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typos, clarity

Thanks BastiatBb,

2 months ago I certainly did not have the mobility for a low bar. I believe I may now be able to wedge the bar at the upper crease of my rear delts now. (totally makes sense that a high bar hits quads more and therefore stresses knees)

Breaking parallel has been frustrating. My legs are already a bit beyond shoulder width and feet a good 30* out. In closer or with any more forward toe point I'm not able to come close to parallel.

The 20% deload is because the last couple of weeks have been a brutal grind... With 8+ minutes between sets... I actually failed on my first set and realized I likely needed some help on my form. The current weight is heavy but not difficult.

Bastiat gave some good advice.

Welcome to the best program for...well...starting strength there is.

Do you plan on posting your lifting weights on the four lifts?

Indiana has at least one starting coach and Chicago has several. Check them out. The ones connected with Chicago Strength and Conditioning are closest to you. See them at least on occasion maybe even more often to keep your techniques strong and protect you from injury. Hint...Karl Schudt is a master of squat.

One more thing. I'm 72. When my knees began to get cranky when I passed 240 or so on the squat I started wearing knee wraps I got from Rogue. Just an idea. But Bastiat's advice is even better.
    Last edited by carson; 11-01-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: addws

Awesome Carson! Thanks for the coach suggestion - -- I'll be giving Karl a buzz!

The video from today has me at 200.
    Before the deload I had progressed to:
    Squat: 230
    Bench: 145
    Standing: 95
    Deadlift: 315
    I also JUST started the cleans as Im not recovering from the DL after 2 days.

Prior to SS my 1RM For squat was 180 and 1RM for deadlift was 225 - - - obviously need to improve, but I'm thrilled at how fast the weights stack!

Quote Originally Posted by Land View Post
    2 months ago I certainly did not have the mobility for a low bar. I believe I may now be able to wedge the bar at the upper crease of my rear delts now.
    Try the Horn Stretch (see here) before you get under the bar. Helps a ton. Over the course of a few weeks my flexibility increased to the point where I no longer need it. Expect first couple sets to be tight, but fight to get the bar into and keep it in proper position below the horn of the scapula. Watch this video, too, about getting bar into proper slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Land View Post
    Breaking parallel has been frustrating. My legs are already a bit beyond shoulder width and feet a good 30* out. In closer or with any more forward toe point I'm not able to come close to parallel.
    You may need to go wider. You may need to point your toes out at closer to 45 degrees. Experiment with different stances. But make sure you push your knees out, tracking with your toes. If you can squat below parallel without the bar, you can do it with the bar. Just make it your mission to do it.

Once again, thank you kindly!

I have been running the Horn stretch before every lift since the start It felt awesome a couple of weeks back when I could finally stand with the bar down my shoulders rather than just behind my neck.

After a few hours of just messing around with form (and drastically reducing the weight) I’ve come up with the following form – the toes are nearly touching the rack and are about 50* out. HOWEVER It does let me go deeper and my knees did not hurt!

YouTube

And here are my Deadlift and Press forms:
    YouTube
    YouTube

Dead: Don't breathe while weight is off of the floor. The lift begins and ends on the floor. Don't release the bar between lifts. Practice doing a set of 5 withing 30 seconds. Take one quick breath at the bottom and lift.

Oh wow, that's going to take some gritt . I've been averaging 1.5-2 min / set of 5. I'll work on it! Thanks Carson.

starting strength coach development program
    Pushed butt a bit further back. No longer having knees go forward of toes. Last 2 felt very good. Be certain to maximize the video which shows feet/toe placement.

The lower weight is mainly limited by my groin/abductor/inner thigh muscles.

YouTube

Thanks crew!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast