starting strength gym

Thread: Twill413 SS Novice LP Log

Default Twill413 SS Novice LP Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greeting SS Forum. I have come to the SS program after 3 months (Started Aug 2019) of doing SL 5x5 and being previously more into cardio by way of distance running, even as a “larger” athlete for that sport (5’10 ~195#). I started with:

SQ 135
    DL 135
    PR 55
    BP 95
    BR 55

I’ve kept detailed logs of that progress, because I am a spreadsheet and data nut.

I did that for about 6 weeks steadily increasing. However my diet was not optimized for growth or training (far under caloric requirements), and I hadn’t prioritized training appropriately. I was drinking far too much. And I was still making steady gains, but with those two factors squatting 3x a week for 5 sets was taking it’s toll and I de-loaded ~10% for form reasons.

So as Rip says, even doing a LP program sub-optimally as a novice, it still works.

About 6 weeks ago I switched from MWF training to splitting the SL program into SQ/PR/Accessories on M/Th and BP/DL/Row Tu/F and cleaned up my diet, but still too much booze interfering with recovery and not enough good nutrition. About that same time, I started watching SS YouTube form videos and listening to the podcast. Everything they say about the program is so logical to me, and when laid out in a matter of fact style, it just spoke to me. I figured if they were willing to provide so much useful content and back up their philosophy the least I could do was buy the book and do their program as intended.

So I completely stopped drinking 10 days ago (that’s a good run for me), and really started taking the diet even more seriously. I’m on the SS program as of Monday, and I guess I’m still on phase 1 since I am still rolling through pretty solid workout to workout gains (10# on DL M & W this week & 5# on SQ). Currently, I am about 210# (34 Years Old) with today’s workout:

SQ – 225 3x5
    BP – 175 3x5
    DL – 265 3x5

Last press was 102.5# and I have yet to add cleans. I’ve watched the tutorial but it still seems a little intimidating.

So, just wanted to say thanks for the community and the program. Wish I had been on it when I was a HS/Collegiate athlete.

I’ll probably add back a Friday Bourbon at some point, but not go back to 2 or 3 a night. I have something to look forward to now, adding weight to the bar.

Welcome to the Novice forum, and best wishes for a successful NLP run! I started back in early May this year, and I still consider myself a novice, with numbers still progressing nicely on the 4 slow lifts. I batted the idea of adding power cleans back-and-forth a few weeks ago, and decided against it. Then again, I am 61 years old, so maybe I can get away with not doing them!

I look forward to reading your posts as you progress - I too am a data nut, and have been treating this whole experience as a grand science project: how much stronger can an old guy get?

11/8/19:

Squat 235x5
    Press 105x5
    Deadlift 265x5

Today was the first day my grip suffered using double overhand on the DL, which prevented a clean and full lockout and hip finish at the top since I was more concerned with not dropping the bar. I guess I'll have to switch to try the hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ware View Post
    Welcome to the Novice forum, and best wishes for a successful NLP run! I started back in early May this year, and I still consider myself a novice, with numbers still progressing nicely on the 4 slow lifts. I batted the idea of adding power cleans back-and-forth a few weeks ago, and decided against it. Then again, I am 61 years old, so maybe I can get away with not doing them!

I look forward to reading your posts as you progress - I too am a data nut, and have been treating this whole experience as a grand science project: how much stronger can an old guy get?
    Thank you! I'll be following your progress as well. I've always lifted weight in some form or fashion but never like this, and looking back it really amounted to just farting around the machines and dumbbells. I am finding certain things easier and more enjoyable, like roughhousing with the kids (8 YO boy and 6 YO girl). They want me to pick them up and put them over my head, or carry them both over my shoulders at the same time because I can now do so easily. I can feel the increased strength in my back from the deadlift. It's really pretty cool and fun. I actually look forward to squatting every day.

Welcome to the forum!

First, congratulations on drinking less! I am a big beer person myself so I too have to stop myself from grabbing a beer every night as soon as I get off work.

It seems like you are already making great progress on the plan. I look forward to following your progress!

Catching up on the last week. Humming right along. I try to do assistance work on the off days and only 2 exercises along with form drills for cleans or ROM exercises for my shoulders to get under the squat more comfortably.

11/10:
    Squat 235 3x5
    Bench 177.5 3x5
    Clean 115 5x3 - Learning Form, repeat weight and go from there.

11/12:
    Squat 240 3x5
    OH Press 107.5 3x5
    Deadlift 275 1x5

11/13:
    Row 170 3x5
    Chins Banded in the power rack. I'm working on moving down the holes and down in bands doing full chin ROM.

11/14:
    Squat 245 3x5
    Bench 180 3x5
    Clean 115 5x3

11/15:
    Incline Bench 135 3x10 I want to add some mass and figured doubling back on it the day after flat bench with more reps was a decent idea for full recovery before next session. Any input as to whether or not this is a good idea?
    Tri Extension 45 3x10

11/16:
    Squat 250 3x5
    OH Press 110 3x5
    Deadlift 290 1x5

11/18:
    Row 175 3x5
    Chins Banded most assisted band peg 14 10/10/9. Will move down a hole and go from there.

11/19:
    Squat 255 3x5
    Bench 182.5 3x4 - Fail
    Clean: 115 5x3

I think the accessory stuff I did yesterday negatively impacted today's bench failure, along with other recovery protocol violations. Off days are back to 1 mile walk and mobility, and recovery shall be more focused. I'd increase food intake, but I'm at 211# and have been for a week or so. I'm not sure how much higher than that I really need to go. My protein is 220+ per day easy.

I'm so that skinny fat tweener that article is circulating about. I wasn't strong but I was "heavy" without looking overly heavy at 195 before starting. Do I continue to add body weight for now?

Quote Originally Posted by twill413 View Post
    11/19:

I think the accessory stuff I did yesterday negatively impacted today's bench failure, along with other recovery protocol violations. Off days are back to 1 mile walk and mobility, and recovery shall be more focused.
    I think you are on the road to running into the same issue I did two weeks ago --

With the end of rowing season, I started doing my machine rowing off-season training on my non-lifting "recovery" days, only to find out that my body wasn't recovering all that fully between lifting days. Reynolds over at BB-Logic hammered home the lesson: "recovery" means recovery, not more muscle work. Walking is fine; maybe a bit of swimming or yoga. But for me to use my recovery days to row a 5K on the ergo for what I had been calling "conditioning maintenance" is not resting enough to be deemed as recovery.

Then again, I'm 61, so maybe you can push the envelope a bit more than I can. But I'd rather trade off my off-season extra work to keep my strength-building on pace than start coming up against missed reps or sets.

To your question about adding body weight -- Rip writes that a well-executed NLP with proper eating, sleeping, and recovery will generally drive the novice lifter to approach his/her optimal body weight and composition in time. After seven months, and tracking my own progress, I'd have to agree that it seems to be working well. Your body will reach a healthy homeostasis in time. "Stay on target!"

Thanks. I think enthusiasm got the better of me. It really irks me that I am so awful at chins and pull-ups as I’m the one who is usually pretty good at anything I try. I liked rows coming from SL 5x5, but I think that work yesterday is what killed my last rep for all sets in keeping my lats tight in the bench and really pushing with everything. I guess it’s an all good things come to those with patience kind of thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Traps are a bit sore...most assuredly the cleans.

For some reason the groin is sore. Nothing has changed on the squat form, but the weight is feeling pretty heavy now.