starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better late then never; Training in my 30s, a memoir

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great progress. I am at session 2. Feeling like I want to progress faster but want to tightened my form under more weight. Partner says my right knee had some caving today so friday I am going to do some video analysis. Keep moving the weight!

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Anguyen View Post
    I got to watch a guy squat 625 for 4 yesterday. WAS INCREDIBLE. He got a nose bleed during which is just the most metal.
    god i can't even imagine that kind of weight

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Great progress. I am at session 2. Feeling like I want to progress faster but want to tightened my form under more weight. Partner says my right knee had some caving today so friday I am going to do some video analysis. Keep moving the weight!

Travis
    Thank you! I hear you, I want to add more weight quicker but we will both benefit from going slow and steady. Especially following novice progression. It can be super frustrating! I am struggling some days with weights that I use to use use to warm up. For example I got a facebook memory today from 2 years ago, a video of me jerking 145# easy... Currently I haven't even done this weight for my squat sets! Haha. But we will be stronger in the end for it, and less broken (ie injuries).

Def. upload videos of your movements, I know I have already gotten great advice from the ones I have posted. I plan to add videos regularly. Will also be nice to look back as we progress. I struggle with Knee cave too, especially on my side that I have had glute damage and single legs accessory work has helped a ton with this. You might have an imbalance. Try single-legged straight leg deadlifts with a kettle bell and split squats.

I look forward to following your progression as well!

My jerk video from 2017 that Facebook reminded me of. I was in no way an Olympic lifter so form is not the best. Just a reminder of where I would like to get back to strength wise (plus more and better form!). #145.
    This was either body weight or super close at the time

YouTube

11/21/19

Squat 2x5 @135#, got 2 reps in set 3 but stopped as I didn't have a 3rd rep in me. Really stuck on this weight.

Bench: 75# 3X5. Was not sure where I would be after a week off but moved fast Move up next week

Clean: 4X3 @77#. These were full cleans. And then my husband reminded me they were supposed to to be power lol. So did additional 1X3 power. This is super light for power for me so move up next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anguyen View Post
    Squat 2x5 @135#, got 2 reps in set 3 but stopped as I didn't have a 3rd rep in me. Really stuck on this weight.
    Sometimes I find that I get 'stuck' on a weight not because of 'weak' body strength but because I get weak between the ears and just have a mental block. I think you're clearly strong enough for this so what I'd suggest is maybe just thumb your nose at 135 and do 140. Teach 135 a lesson it won't soon forget!

starting strength coach development program
    Glad you're keeping at it. Holidays coming up might truncate training somewhat, and life always steps in.

I did 2 sessions this week (instead of 3 or 4); Julie only did 1 (instead of 2). We're calling it a planned layoff, and we added volume and intensity into our sessions to hopefully carry us thru the Thanksgiving break. And now we can call all of the food "Recovery Protocols."

Season's best!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123