starting strength gym
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Adapted Training - Journey To 1000 lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great advice, thanks! I was originally thinking of transitioning to a 3x3 but now considering 2x5 or 1x5 with back down sets of 5. Perhaps I could start with 2x5 and then 1 back down set?

Do you think I should also do a light squat day at this point?

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    Great advice, thanks! I was originally thinking of transitioning to a 3x3 but now considering 2x5 or 1x5 with back down sets of 5. Perhaps I could start with 2x5 and then 1 back down set?

Do you think I should also do a light squat day at this point?

Kris
    I'd hold off on going to light squat days just yet. Prime Directive: Make the smallest change possible and test the effects before making another change.

2 max weight sets followed by 1 back-off set could be fine; try it and check your performance/recovery. You'll still be adding weight to the bar for the max weight set(s) each session, and I suspect you'll find that doing 2-heavy/1-backoff can take you another couple of weeks on linear progression. At that point, missing reps on the heavies would trigger a minor change to 1-heavy/2-back-off.

The idea of changing out a normal squat day for a light squat day is, as suggested by Sullivan & Baker, an indication of insufficient recovery between training days. The signals for that typically look like "running out of gas" and not able to complete the last reps of the session. Your signal of missing reps at the end of the set is a different indicator.

Then again, I'm a late-stage novice/early-intermediate at this point in my progression, and seeing what has been working for me. At 61, I think I'm doing very well, and I am definitely taking advantage of the information in the 3 SS books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ware View Post
    I'd hold off on going to light squat days just yet. Prime Directive: Make the smallest change possible and test the effects before making another change.

2 max weight sets followed by 1 back-off set could be fine; try it and check your performance/recovery. You'll still be adding weight to the bar for the max weight set(s) each session, and I suspect you'll find that doing 2-heavy/1-backoff can take you another couple of weeks on linear progression. At that point, missing reps on the heavies would trigger a minor change to 1-heavy/2-back-off.

The idea of changing out a normal squat day for a light squat day is, as suggested by Sullivan & Baker, an indication of insufficient recovery between training days. The signals for that typically look like "running out of gas" and not able to complete the last reps of the session. Your signal of missing reps at the end of the set is a different indicator.

Then again, I'm a late-stage novice/early-intermediate at this point in my progression, and seeing what has been working for me. At 61, I think I'm doing very well, and I am definitely taking advantage of the information in the 3 SS books.
    This is very helpful! I agree about small changes and if I can get a couple more weeks of LP, I'll be squatting 300+ which is an important milestone for me.

What do you think are the pros and cons of 3x3 vs 1x5, 2x5 back offs?

Practical Programming page 200, " it's been observed that back off method works better for squat and 3x3 mrhid works better with bench and press."

Love this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Practical Programming page 200, " it's been observed that back off method works better for squat and 3x3 mrhid works better with bench and press."

Love this stuff!
    Good to know, thanks!

Bodyweight: 170.2 lbs

Week 11 - Workout 1:

Squats:
    45x5x2
    110x5
    160x3
    225x1
    295x5, 265x5x2

OHP:
    45x5x3
    65x3
    85x2
    127.5x4 < attempted 5th rep but failed
    115x5x2

Deadlifts:
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    365x5

BB Curls:

95x8
    95x6
    95x5

Notes:

Omg it felt so great doing back-off sets after first set of squats. The last rep was a real grinder, so it was nice to spare myself a little on the other sets (which BTW were still pretty exhausting but definitely manageable). Excited to hit 300 lb squat this week which will be a milestone for me (my PR on squats previously was 295x6 and 350x5 box squats with shitty form at a bodyweight of 185-190 while juicing) as a natural lifter.

OHP fail kinda sad this was my second stall. I guess it's telling me I'm not recovering. The heavy squats and deadlifts are probably beginning to affect my pressing, so I'll have to do some tweaking.

I'll probably only get 1 more workout in this week before I leave for Mexico on Friday. I'll have my first week off which I think will do me some good. My diet hasn't been great over the holidays (wayyy too much junk) so it will be good to get back on track and fresh after a week off and some solid keto. I'll probably do a light deload on all lifts (10%) and then ramp up quickly to get back to where I left off within a week or 2. At that point I will probably add the light squat day as I feel like I'm within the advanced novice stage at this point.

What are your rest times on the press? I have been adding about 30 seconds each week lately. I think I am at about 4 min on anything that I am struggling with, mostly squat. The guy I train with punched through his first plateau with a drop in weight for 4 sessions than easily moved up his bench. That session I had him on the clock at 4 min also and it worked great. He is a guy who wants to just go go go. Something to think about in case you hadn't. Great progress and jealous about Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    What are your rest times on the press? I have been adding about 30 seconds each week lately. I think I am at about 4 min on anything that I am struggling with, mostly squat. The guy I train with punched through his first plateau with a drop in weight for 4 sessions than easily moved up his bench. That session I had him on the clock at 4 min also and it worked great. He is a guy who wants to just go go go. Something to think about in case you hadn't. Great progress and jealous about Mexico!
    3 mins for OHP. But I missed my last rep on first set, so doubt resting was the issue. It's probably heavy squatting, but good point! I'm resting 6-7 mins now between squats.

I plan to deload everything as follows upon my return week of Jan 13:

Squat 270x5
    Bench 180x5
    OHP 110x5
    DL 340x5

I think after that first week back, I will begin a light squat day and cut deads to 1x per week. I'll probably microload OHP by 2.5 lbs right off the bat, and microload Bench around 195. I'll see how all that works out for me. The next step would be back-off sets on squats.

Thanks for the kind words!

good, i'm glad to see you've upped your rest time now, that is key once the weight climbs to where it is. you're making good progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    good, i'm glad to see you've upped your rest time now, that is key once the weight climbs to where it is. you're making good progress.
    Yes I'm usually stubborn when it comes to that as I used to enjoy completing a workout within 30 mins but now realizing how critical it is for strength.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast