• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bodyweight: 169.0 lbs

Week 17 - Workout 3:

Squats: 305x3 < PR
    Bench: 215x5x3
    Chins: BWx5, 20x5x2

Notes:

So I definitely think I made a good call on re-programming my squat. I was able to get 305x3 very smooth, and felt like I probably had atleast another rep in the tank! Also, my bench is back to progressing 5 lbs per workout! My recovery has definitely improved, and I feel fresher! This is good because my sleep has been so hit or miss lately with the kids going through some regressions and there's a lot of interruptions.

I think I will stick to this plan for as long as possible. Excited to hit a 2 plate bench for reps! It's been a while since I've been there.

Made a post for some advice on my programming a little while back, and am getting a ton of heat for it.

I'll have the last laugh when my strength continues to climb fueling on a diet LOW in carbs tapping into my own fat stores for performance and longevity. There is evidence that fat burning not only produces more ATP than glycolysis (147 ATP per mole of fat vs 38 ATP per mole of glucose), but also produces less ROS (free radicals) within the cell to lower oxidative stress. Not only that, but with fat burning/fasting and drinking a ton of natural spring water allows me to tap the PPP (pentose phosphate pathway) to restore muscle glycogen SANS carbs! Not only that, but the PPP maximally restore NADPH levels within the cell to maximize anti-oxidant levels (i.e. glutathione) to further protect from oxidative stress while also providing the reducing agents for cholesterol and steroid hormone biosynthesis (yes, this means MORE T).

The carboholic trainees who think they need 30-60% of their calories from carbs may see better performance in the short run because they are too impatient for the 24-36 month period of fat adaptation, but at the expense of depleting their stem cell supply leading to eventual disease.

Accessing the PPP through a ketogenic diet with occasional/seasonal carb loads is the pathway I've found that links performance and longevity, something most individuals would see as a paradox, given training is an additional stressor in an already OVERstressed world we live in today.

/endrant
    Last edited by kris90; 02-14-2020 at 01:14 PM.

I don't really understand most of that but I've been zero carbing for only about six weeks and I must say, everything is better alteady. Without blood sugar fluxuating all over the place, my energy levels are consistently up and I'm not thinking about my next meal before I finish my current one. I also very rarely have food cravings And the biggest thing for me is that I hurt less. Like, much less. That aspect alone is worth it for me. The first 10-12 days were horrible but I gradually started feeling better, my strength(?) started coming back and now I feel amazing.

Awesome! Keep going. It only gets better. The hardest part for you is over now.

Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    Awesome! Keep going. It only gets better. The hardest part for you is over now.
    Thank you. I'm loving it. May I ask you a question? Besides the summer months you referenced, do you have regular days or meals where you intentionally eat carbs - a "cheat day or meal" if you will? I do not crave one but in the future I feel it would be nice to have some pizza or something once in a great while. Thanks for your time!

I mean we gotta live sometimes... so ya I have my slip ups around Christmas time and holiday season but I'd moreso call them cheat meals vs cheat days. On those days I may hit 100g of carbs. But when fat adapted, you're more insulin sensitive so it's not a big deal.

What I do to deal with this is cold water immersion. I do ice baths 3x a week and 2 cold showers per day. It takes care of any excess glucose spike in the blood by up regulating catecholamines (fat burning hormones) and burning energy for heat. Your brain always needs glucose and you burn fat in the cold so this shuts insulin off to keep blood sugar high to fuel the brain for thermogenesis.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

My philosophy is experiment and see what works for you. Please keep us posted on how it is working out.

Also PR!!!!! Yah Brotha!

Yaaa buddy!

starting strength coach development program
    Bodyweight: 169.0 lbs

Week 18 - Workout 1:

Squats: 280x3x5
    OHP: 125x5x3
    Rows: 165x5x2

Notes:

Caught a minor cold (from the kids, and lack of sleep), but had a good workout. Trained fasted today, and had a large PWO meal with a ton of protein and some fats. Felt very strong on everything today!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast