starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Accountability Log, NEVER GIVING UP!

Default Accountability Log, NEVER GIVING UP!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Time for an accountability log.

Male
    46 years
    Ht: 5’9”
    Wt: 193
    Training experience: Grew up athletic, sports ended fatness began, back into this for past 7 years.
    Pretty much stay at home dad of 2 year old girl.

PR’s (all within last year)
    Box Squat 325x5
    Bench 300x1
    Dead 365x1

Ready to get serious and consistent.
    Started today with Starting Strength Novice program via the app.

Session notes: Been moderately sick for almost 2 weeks but tired of not moving some weights so I went for it. Post session I felt really good. Diet: Not enough calories.

Week 1 - Session #1 (Working sets only)

Squat (185) 5 5 5
    Bench (185) 5 5 10
    Dead (185) 5 5 10

Squat
    I am not a good squatter, squatting in the past has been mostly box squats. I was able to get over 300 because I use to do a lot of core work. I didn’t have a good size bench to get to parallel so these were partial squats. I am looking forward to tightening my form and doing actual squats. Yesterday I was hesitant to do full depth squats because I always thought that they would hurt my knees. Even during warmups yesterday they were a little soar, then I worked on form and went for it. I don’t know why I was confident enough to even try 185 full depth, but a curious thing happened. With decent form and utilizing the stretch reflex I was able to do them pain free. I was astonished and super excited about this. Today I am very soar and it feels great. I am going to tread carefully with these but am looking forward to seeing where it can go in the next weeks and on.

Bench
    This is starting low for me but I haven’t been consistent so wanted to started here. I think in the next weeks I can up this quickly but this was a great place to start. Slight DOMS from yesterday’s session.

Dead
    Here is another where I started on the low end of where I should have because I am not feeling well and want to get used to the new programming i chose to start here. I will asses over the next and make increases as needed.

This was a very successful first session. I am looking forward to things to come.
    Last edited by TravisRatzloff; 12-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Hello there! I'll follow along. Was today day 1 of the program? Seems like the weight is pretty high for starting, but perhaps you are a strong guy and maybe your form is solid.

I feel the same as you, my bench was always pretty close to my squats in the past, and my deadlift is wayyy ahead of squats. I'm hoping things will balance out as I really master my form on squats. Getting used to the hip drive with the eyes aimed toward the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    Hello there! I'll follow along. Was today day 1 of the program? Seems like the weight is pretty high for starting, but perhaps you are a strong guy and maybe your form is solid.

I feel the same as you, my bench was always pretty close to my squats in the past, and my deadlift is wayyy ahead of squats. I'm hoping things will balance out as I really master my form on squats. Getting used to the hip drive with the eyes aimed toward the ground.
    The program wants me to start at

Squat - 200
    Bench - 245
    Dead - 290

But I would rather not jump into this program at those wts. I would rather get used the format of the program and build the routine in my week and get used the movements again and work on as close to perfect form as possible before putting max stress on my body.

Day 1 was yesterday. Pretty soar today but manageable. Feels good.

How long have you been at this program? How is it going for you?

Oh ok I see. Good call. Light weight is great for practicing the lifts.

So far it's been about a month and it's going extremely well. I'm glad I dropped my ego after getting back into training and ready to master the lifts. You can check on my log at: Fat Adapted Training - Journey To 1000 lb

Week 1 - Session 2, 11:15 AM, Weight 192.8

Squat (195) 5 4 5 - lack of focus on 2nd set.

Press (115) 5 5 5

Dead (195) 10, stopped early moving up next session.

Notes: Partner says Right knee cave on squats with shift of hip. Going to video next session to analyze. Deads were easy, going to jump up next session, maybe 20.
    Food: Zero, didn't get a chance in my 2 hours before window. Still made most of lifts. Need to get up earlier.
    Sick: Yep still feel sick, glad I could hit the numbers. Probably should pause until feeling better, probably won't though.
    Last edited by TravisRatzloff; 11-20-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Are you pointing your toes outwards? I have found this to be extremely helpful in preventing the knees from caving inwards.

Are you resting long enough between squat sets? Practice deep breathing and mindfulness between sets. Also helps to listen to some good metal

Quote Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    Are you pointing your toes outwards? I have found this to be extremely helpful in preventing the knees from caving inwards.

Are you resting long enough between squat sets? Practice deep breathing and mindfulness between sets. Also helps to listen to some good metal
    Trying to find and keep that 30 degrees.
    3 min rests today, might up that next time if needed.
    Breathing felt pretty good today.
    Need louder speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Week 1 - Session 2, 11:15 AM, Weight 192.8

Squat (195) 5 4 5 - lack of focus on 2nd set.

Press (115) 5 5 5

Dead (195) 10, stopped early moving up next session.

Notes: Partner says Right knee cave on squats with shift of hip. Going to video next session to analyze. Deads were easy, going to jump up next session, maybe 20.
    Food: Zero, didn't get a chance in my 2 hours before window. Still made most of lifts. Need to get up earlier.
    Sick: Yep still feel sick, glad I could hit the numbers. Probably should pause until feeling better, probably won't though.
    Hope you feel better soon!

If you have knee cave with hip shift it could def. Be pointing at an imbalance (ie one side stronger than other). That is what I had and saw multiple docs for. As it ended up causing back issues. Doing a lot of single leg accessory work to get my weaker leg stronger helped this. Also check form and foot position of course too. This might not be the case for you of course, Just from my experience what that was caused from.

Great! Thanks for the advice I know in the past when doing iso leg leg work with certain movements there was up to 20% difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Program Adjustment
    Accommodating lifting partner and also doing a little experiment.

Monday and Wednesday
    Squat, Bench, Dead as prescribed.

Friday
    Shoulder Press
    Accessory work.
    Some sort of higher intensity interval circuit(s).

I am looking forward to seeing if we can maintain a 5-10 lb increase when able, maintaining or smaller increase will be perfectly acceptable for additional sessions.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast