starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another go at NLP

Default Another go at NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick background, I originally did SSNLP about 9-10 years ago, though more recently I did NLP from Oct 2018 - early May 2018 with a reset or two along the way. I then switched to HLM solidly until maybe mid-July. I ended up getting distracted with other things and missing training progressively more frequently.

In October 2019, I tried to restart my training, but would do a workout or two in a given week, and then miss the next 2-3 weeks. This continued through November and December, though my time between workouts decreased. They were still inconsistent, and never got my 3 workouts in a week. With the start of the new year, I finally decided I needed to stop making excuses and instead make this happen. This week I took care of some of the distractions, and I got all 3 workouts in. I figure now's a good time to start logging again here.

My max lifts got up to 295 squat, 350ish deadlift, 200ish bench, 145ish press, and 150ish power clean. If you look at the other logs, you'll see I'm a fair bit overweight. I started in Oct 2018 at just under 330, got down to 290, and unfortunately am back up to about 310. I've spend the last few weeks dialing the diet back down to 2300 calories. It hasn't been perfect, but am pretty close to it, and have been moving downward again. This time around, I'm more dedicated to the weight loss, which will impact strength gain to some extent, but I'm willing to make that trade until I get to about 220.

Height: 5'10"

Below are my first 3 workouts.

Monday, January 6, 2020
    Squat: 95lbx5x3
    Bench: 95lbx5x3
    Deadlift: 185lbx5

Wednesday, January 8, 2020
    Squat: 115lbx5x3
    Press: 75lbx5x3
    Deadlift: 205lbx5

Saturday, January 11, 2020
    Squat: 135lbx5x3
    Bench: 115lbx5x3
    Deadlift: 225lbx5

I intentionally started out light, and added 20lbs this week. The plan is squats going up by 10s until I get to 185 (5 more workouts), and deadlifts going up by 10s for a bit (probably at least until 315). Bench will go up to 135 next Wednesday, and then go by 10s until probably about 155 or 165, when I"ll drop to 5s. Press is going to go by 10s to 95, and then drop to 5s. I still need to figure out when I'm going to add power cleans back in. It will probably be after squats go to 5s, but while deadlifts are still at 10s.

I also am starting to go for walks again. I had done them when I started in Oct 2018 through about Jan 2019, but then stopped for no real good reason. I had got to going for an hour a day, which was pretty good for me. My reason for adding it is because 1) I have a sedentary job and have to this point been a sedentary person; 2) I am horribly unconditioned and can use anything I get; and 3) in conjunction with a controlled diet and lifting, it should help me lose weight.

So, here's to losing the weight and getting strong in 2020 and as a more consistent life style choice.

Good luck fella.
    And i think your strength will rise to all time PR's just fine while losing weight.

Stay consistant. Reap the rewards.

Monday, January 13, 2020
    Squat: 145x5x3
    Press: 85x5x3
    Deadlift: 235x5

Today was a great workout. I was a bit tired going in, but once I got through the first warm-up, everything kept moving as it should.

I've done harder, and my body knows it. It was good with this today and ready for more. That said, I think I'm doing it right working my way back up. The weight will get back up quickly enough.

Glad to see you back at it, man. Straight ahead!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - W2D2
    Squat: 155x5x3
    Bench: 135x5x3
    Deadlift: 245x5

Great session today. I meant to belt on deadlifts, but forgot it upstairs. Will belt on Friday at 255. I'll stay beltless on squats to about 225. So far working back up in weight is going great.

I did the same thing when i ran a new LP after a few months off, the no belt thing. So far have not worn it for one single set on deadlifts...including pulling 555 in a comp and narrowly missing 572. I dont think ill wear it again for deads.

Saturday, January 18, 2020 - W2D3
    Squat - 165x5x3
    Press - 95x5x3
    Deadlift - 255x5

Good session today. I was supposed to lift Friday, but ended up running out so Saturday morning it is. Lifts were good, and I felt today like I've chosen well on how to ramp up this time around. When squat gets to 185 (next Wed), I'll be switching to 5 lb increments. Bench will stay 10 lb increments until 155 (next Friday). Press is going to 5lb increments now, and deadlift will stay 10lbs as longs as I can.

Monday, January 20, 2020 - W3D1
    Squat: 175x5x3
    Bench: 145x5x3
    Deadlift: 265x5

Good workout. No much to write today.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 - W3D2
    Squat: 185x5x3
    Press: 100x5x3
    Deadlift: 275x5

I have been tired this week and while I wanted to do this today, I also wanted to take a nap. Workout won, and it was a good workout. This was my last +10 to squats, so Saturday will be 190. 185 felt good and definitely have the strength for it, but I do feel like I've pushed the +10 as far as I reasonably can. Press is going +5 now, and it was pretty straight forward. Deadly at 275 went well. I'm hook gripping everything so far, so starting to get to weight that hurts, but I've just been telling myself to pull another rep. Last rep moved away from my body, which I've fought with before. I think this is a weight where I have to focus even more at not letting the bar travel away from my legs, but it I was also distracted by something I had to do as soon as the set was over.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm glad to see you sticking at it, man. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast