starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tim's LP, W6D2

Squat: 245x5x3

+5. Tim's starting to carry residual fatigue into his squats, but his slowest rep was still only 1.9s. So we're gonna keep adding 5 for sets across. So far, we haven't even had to bring in late-novice protocols. I predict he's got at least 260 for sets across before we have to call an audible.

Press: 115x5x3

We've gone back to 5s across on presses. This beats his old sets across by 9lbs, and looked challenging but manageable.

Row: 135x4x3

Moving to rep progression on these: Sets of 4, then 6, then 8 at 135 before we add to the bar methinks.

Bench: 185x5x3

Back to 5s across on bench, as well, for 2 sessions now. We'll ride 5s awhile then go back to triples when we need to.

Still killing it across the board.

Tim's LP, W6D3

Squat: 250x5x3

Tim reported pain in his low back and ASIS tendon today during the day, but some Ibuprofen carried him through and these moved quickly. He reports pain returns to baseline between sets, so we're going to keep at it. We may be soon into light-day and Top-set protocols; we'll see how Sunday looks after some rest and a weigh-in.

Press: 120x5, 115x5x2

+5 top set for a 5PR, with two back-offs. Think we'll keep top-set protocol going forward on presses.

Deadlift: 285x5, 315x1 Video of 315 at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “Tim with a 315x1 DL. Some rounding but nothing dangerous. White lights! Some help from Vitamin I. SDG #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson…”

+10 for fahve. After this, Tim asked what the Wendler formula pegged his 1RM at. 332. So he asked for a single at 315 and I let him take it. Lots of thoracic flexion, but he stayed with the pull and locked it out in 4.5s. This won't kill him, and now he knows he's got more room for DL improvement.

Bench: 190x5x3

+5. These moved a lot better than the presses, so we did sets across.

Tim's still killing this LP.

It's amazing what some vitamin-I can do. He had the DL pretty well, and probably had 1-2 more reps in him. His back looked like he just didn't fully setup in an effort to get the pull down with. After a new 5s PR, I can understand that feeling.

Adam, we worked DL form a bit today with some lighter reps. Still trying to get back-set in his mind. He looked really good today at 135 and 185. We'll see what 290 for 5 looks like on Tuesday I guess!

Tim's LP, W7D1

Bodyweight: 196 (+2)

Tim's sticking with the food. Excellent. Not his best week for weight gain, but it's still headed up. We've got hope of seeing 200 on this skinny young man. At 64 inches, he says he wants to shoot for 225. I think that's entirely doable, and will look solid on him.

Squat: 255x5x3

+5, no drama. Tim reports carryover fatigue is starting to creep into Sunday sessions as of today. Will monitor.

Deadlift (Light pulls, form work): 135x5x2, 185x3

Working on proud chest, eye gaze, hard-set back. Rock-solid at these light weights.

Press: 125x5 (5PR), 115x5x2

Tim's got a new fahve under his belt; best performance at 125 was a triple 10 days ago. Top-Drop for press is still alive, but these moved a bit slowly. I think 127.5 is called for next go.

Bench: 195x5x3 (5PR, sets across PR)

Whereas Tim's press is inching up, he's still got room in the tank on bench 5s. I plan to add 5lbs next session.

Another good session for Tim; LP is alive with no true resets as of yet.

Tim's LP, W7D2

Squat: 260x5x3

+5. No big whoop, think another sets across Thursday and then it's time to do midweek light day for Week 8.

Press: 130x3, 120x5x3

Back to top triples on the press.

Deadlift: 290x3

This was a 3PR, but it was a real grind. Going to go to midweek deadlifts once per week, to coincide with light squat days. We'll either try to close out 290x5, or go for 295x3 next week.

Bench: 200x5x3

5PR, sets across PR. No drama. We'll bump 5lbs on Thursday.

Tim's LP, W7D3

Squat: 265x5x3, 300x1, 315x1 (PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “315x1. PR! After his scheduled 3x5 at 265. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights #wendler531 #teamssoc #texasmethod #teambloc…”

+5. Squats were moving great, and Tim wanted to grab some singles. 300lbs came up in 1.4 seconds, so we waited 4 minutes and he hit 315 without difficulty. He probably had 335 or 345 today, but we'd already jacked his previous 1PR 40lbs, and there were still other things that needed doing, so we held off.

Press: 127.5x5 (5PR), 120x5x2

+2.5 for the 5rep on press. I decided we'll keep grabbing 5s while we can. 130 intended for Sunday.

Row: 135x8x3

Bench: 205x5 (5PR), 185x5x3

5PR, then some drop sets. I'm going to keep titrating the upper body movements however I need to so that Tim can make gains in press and bench on the same day, until he truly hits a wall. Then, we'll either go to the standard SS alternating ABA template, or just nudge his upper body movements into intermediate country.

Tim's LP, W8D1

The day Tim hits The Wall.

BW: 200

On the plus side, Tim is now a full grown human male.

Squat: 270x5, 225x5x2

5PR. Tim reported pain in the right ASIS tendon, which remained through the warm-up. His top working set, his right knee and adductor also were barking. Scaled to back-off sets, which looked a lot better. Tim's been stacking fatigue for awhile, and I think everything's catching up with him. Didn't help that it was his Army weekend, and I know I always underperform after some Army time, even if it's desk time. My working theory is elevated cortisol due to military stress even in garrison situations, but that's just a theory. Anyway: Tim felt and lifted like a train wreck today.

Press: 130x4, 120x5x2

4PR on the press, but he couldn't get the 5th up. Backoff sets went fine.

Row: 145x8, 8, 2

Tim strained his right calf on set 2, somehow. And then to top it off, strained the muscle running up the right side of his neck in set 3, rep 2, on the descent. He aborted, and we moved to bench.

Bench: 135x3

Top set was a triple at 135, supposed to be a warmup, but the hip, adductor, calf, and neck all combined to make 135 look like about 335. I told him to abort and go get rest, eat food, and do a week-long Ibuprofen protocol.

Tim made some modest PRs today, but it was a rough day all around. I told him this day was coming, but that I couldn't foresee when it would come or how it would manifest. This wall is part of LP, and there's no getting around it: It sucks when it hits. We'll see the measure of Tim's fortitude on Tuesday and Thursday this week. I trust he'll perform admirably.

Tim's LP, W8D2

Much better.

Squat (Light Day): 225x5x2

Tim hit the Chiro today, took some pills, ate some food, got some sleep. He's still got some pain to work through. He's begun foam-rolling his ASIS tendon before I get to the gym, which is fine by me. If it gets the squat up, whatevs.

Press: 132.5x3, 120x5x2

Another 3PR, and within striking distance of his best single (currently 135).

Deadlift: 295x3

+5, new top triple.

Pench: 210x4, 185x5x2

3PR. Missed rep 5 on his top set. Slotting was the issue, but I think fatigue led to the slotting problem. So: Success, he just repped at 210. Next session we'll do like with presses: Top triple, then back offs. So 215x3 is our target for Thursday.

Side note: Training took 2.5 hours today, because Tim went to the crapper six times or something. Diarrhea problems. If it's not one thing, it's another, right?

But LP continues, so all is well.

Tim's LP, W8D3

Squat: 275x5x3

Tim was feeling much better in all respects, and opted for sets across. We shall see if we can maintain that through next week (minus light day).

Press: 135x3, 120x5x3

A new top triple. He has now tripled his previous best 1RM.

Deadlift: 225x3x3

Tim re-watched the deadlift video at work today, and a lot of the things I've been saying to him clicked. These came up smoothly.

Bench: 215x3, 185x5x2

A new top triple.

LP continues!

starting strength coach development program
    Tim's LP, W9D1

BW: 199

Tim lost a pound! He was mortified. He says he'll get back on the milk train this week.

Squat: 280x5x3

+5. New top 5, and took it for sets across.

Press: 137.5x3, 120x5x2

A new top triple. 137.5 is the most weight Tim's ever held in his hands for a press, and he tripled it today. He was pretty stoked.

Chins: BWx6, 7, 6

Light pull today, did some chins.

Bench: 220x3, 185x5x2

New top triple.

LP continues. Tim's on his own Tuesday, and he's supposed to do some fatigue-reducing light work. I'm back with him Thursday, hopefully for PRs in all four lifts.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast