starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tim's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Timeah: Indeed; he's really killing it. Heh, didn't realized I'd stolen "Tim's Log" from you ...

Tim's LP: W13D1

The Dungeon closes. A memorandum came down from On High that all gyms irrespective of size will be closed on our Army base. Lame.

So we snuck into one that we know the door code for, and struck up a relationship with the Facilities Sergeant there. No telling how many workouts we can sneak in at this spot before it closes, too.

Squat: 315x3 (3PR!), 255x5x2

Another top triple. This one has the distinction of having previously been Tim's 1PR. So today, Tim tripled his previous best single. Big day.

Bench: 215x3, 3, 3, 3, 4

Tim went for triples across and nailed it; I told him to shoot for 5 reps on the last set. He gave me 4, which was a 4PR for him.

Deadlift: 325x5 (5PR!), 340x1 (1PR!) Video of 340 at Geoffrey Bischoff’s Instagram post: “Tim hits 340x1. PR! #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights #wendler531 #teamssoc #texasmethod #teambloc #usstrengthlifting #power…”

Even bigger day today. Since we have no idea what our gym landscape will be, where or when we'll manage to finagle a next session, we shot the moon today. Tim's been LP-ing 3x3 on the Deadlift, with 7.5lb jumps. Today, he should have pulled 292.5x3x3. His previous best triple was 295, so that would've been singularly unsatisfying to pull only 292.5. So we discussed punching up to 300 even for 3x3, and then I figured what the hell, let's load 325. Tim's previous 1RM was 315, and it was ugly. I figure he's got 325 easy today, for a 10lb PR. But he committed to a triple, and then I shouted, "Pull 2 more." So he did. And his back was rock-solid for all 5 reps at 325 (whereas at 315 he had a lot of thoracic flexion). His last 5PR was 285, so this was a 40lb improvement. Absolutely murdered it.

I started packing bags to slip out (the Fac-Sergeant was gone by now and trusting us to lock up when we headed out), when Tim said, "Let's go for a top single." So I did some math and loaded 340, and he pulled it. Some thoracic flexion, but nothing dangerous, and notably, less flexion than at 315 last month. Tim walked on air all the way to the parking lot.

A great gym day for Tim.

Haha ive forgotten to log in there for a while now...need to get back to that.

Just watches the 340x1 video. Not a bad pull! Not a max either IMO, so great stuff.

Worryingly, he looks a little bit like me...just smaller. Glasses, same nose. Freaky.

@wiseman83 on insta.

Heya! Added you on the IG man. Thanks.

So ... Arizona gyms are okay to open again, but most aren't actually open until Monday. Tim and I found a sweet black-iron place in Gilbert, AZ that told us if we had cash, we could become members on the spot and train today. So we are now members of American Raw Fitness of Gilbert. Great place.

Tim hasn't touched a barbell in 29 days. Today went well, all considered.

Squat: 245x5x3

Easy. Walked sets of 5 up to this weight, like you do on a fresh LP, so he had some "unnecessary" volume in him by the time working sets rolled around. Still came up fine. Maybe a +10lbs for next session.

Press: 105x5x3

Started challenging on set one, then he grooved it and it got easy.

Deadlift: 275x5

Smooth pulls. He's going to be a monster on the deadlift this cycle I think.

Bench: 165x5x3

We were both smoked by the time bench came around, but these came up fine.

If we play this smoothly, Tim should be back at his previous weights soon, and continue this LP well past the last (aborted) one on all exercises.

Tim's LP (after COVID layoff) W2D1

We couldn't get a Saturday session in to bridge the gap, so we're calling the previous workout "week 1" and beginning our 3/wk of Sun/Tue/Thu today, calling it Week 2, Day 1.

Squat: 250x5x3

+5. Tim's feeling beaten up from jumping back in (so am I). Took a 5er rather than a 10. He killed it. He'll be hitting sets-across PRs in about 9 days at this rate.

Press: 110x5x3

+5.

Deadlift: 280x5

+5.

Bench: 175x5x3

+10 and looked easy.

If this continues, we'll hit some PRs by next week, and have everything in new territory by week 4.

Tim's LP v2.0 W2D2

This post-COVID LP we'll call v2.0, even though v1.0 never got fully realized before shutdown.

Squat: 255x5x3

+5. Within 10lbs of his 3x5 PR.

Press: 115x5x3

+5. Within 10lbs of his 3x5 PR.

Deadlift: 285x5

+5. Looked much better than last time at this weight.

Bench: 185x5x3

+10.

Tim's LP v2.0 W2D3

Tim sees a chiro 2/wk. Usually not on lift day. Today, we had some weirdness, and since his form looks good, we both think it's due to getting adjusted pre-lift.

Squat: 185x1, 135x5x2

Low back pain over the tail bone with nothing to tie it to other than the chiro. He'd reported pain-free previous workout.

Press: 117.5x5x3

+2.5. We're going to slow this down and keep progressing; probably no PRs next week, but maybe the week after.

Deadlift: 225x3

Same story as with squat.

Bench: 190x5x3

+5. Same story with press: Gonna slow down, and enter PR territory maybe 2 weeks from now.

Tim's LP v2.0 W3D1

Squat: 260x5x3

+5 from last real squat session. Not sure what that was about back on Thursday; maybe it was the chiro after all. In any event: We're going to midweek-light on squats, so Tim's next progression squat will be Thurs if all goes to plan.

Press: 122.5x5, 115x5x2

+5, we're in to top-and-drop on this now. Don't have Tim's paper log in front of me right now, but I think 127.5 is his 5PR, so we're close.

Deadlift: 290x5

+5 from last heavy session. No issues here. Probably go light-pull on light-squat day, and do rows.

Bench: 200x5, 185x5x2

+10 followed by drop sets. I think 205 is his 5PR, so we're getting into PR territory on the upper body lifts right now.

Tim's LP v2.0 W3D2

Squat (Light): 225x5x2

Press: 125x5, 115x5x2

+5. Within striking distance of a new 5PR.

Deadlift (Light): 225x3, 275x1

Bench: 206x5 (5PR!), 185x5x2

+6. Put the baby-plates on just to get a new PR in the books for morale's sake. This wasn't a 5RM, just a 5PR, so I'm encouraged on Tim's behalf.

starting strength coach development program
    Tim's LP v2.0 W3D3

BW: 191

I missed a weigh-in; Tim was all the way back down to 188 when we re-started LP. This was a +3lb in a week, which is good pace for him.

Squat: 265x5x3

+5. Got the progression squat. Not a tied PR; thought it was but my bookkeeping was off. This is why we keep logs! But there's a silver lining here: Last time Tim hit this weight for sets across, he was 196lbs on the scale. So we're seeing positive trends here.

Press: 130x5, 115x5x2

So ... this should've been a PR, but Tim overbalanced and had to bend his legs to catch rep 4. So I'm writing it down as 5 reps because he did the work, but we both agreed we're repeating the weight Sunday and not writing it down in the PR book until he gets it clean.

DL: 295x5

+5. This looked great. Way back early, he pulled 285x5 and looked like an epileptic cat pooping in a litter box. Also, he weighed 200 at the time; today he's only 193. This 295 came up smooth, with a flat back, and no rep slower than 1.6s. I see great things in Tim's future on DL.

Bench: 210x4, 185x5x2

+5, missed last rep. We're repeating this weight next session. Whether he gets it or not, I plan to go back to alternating press/bench for him, rather than double-dipping.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast