starting strength gym

Thread: Motivation or Self-Public Shaming

Default Motivation or Self-Public Shaming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Figured I’d start this training log as motivation since my upper to lower lift ratios qualify for public shaming status.

38/M; 188lbs; 5’8”; chronic low back spasms (Right QL area) exacerbated by any loading in a bent over or hinged position.

6/24/19; 170lbs
    Bench: 155x3x5
    Press: 90x3x5
    DL: 185x5
    SQ: N/A

10/28/19; met a SSC and learned/added squats; coach has me on 4x/week training with Bench and Press following intermediate programming
    Bench: 205x4x5
    Press: 125x4x5
    SQ: 145x3x5
    DL: 195x1x5

1/21/20 188lbs
    Bench: 227.5x3x5; 235x4x3
    Press: 140x3x5; 152.5x4x3
    SQ: 180x3x5
    DL: 230x3 (major QL spasm, bailed on set)

Been working at deadlifts for years. With my back, 250ish DL is pretty much the upper limit I can handle. I wonder if I’m kidding myself trying to follow the SS protocol.

More to come...

At your young age I would think one of two things are happening: First, your Deads need to be watched so you can improve technique. I discount this because you worked with an SS Coach. Second, Have you seen a Doctor.

Good to see you at it.

Welcome! I had chronic back pain when I started SS NLP. In 3 weeks the pain was down 50%. Sounds like yours is more serious than mine but I hope this program and your SS coach can help you. Good to have you on here.

Thanks for taking the time for your input. Also, I'm a LEO, so I carry a sidearm on that hip everyday. I'm sure that's not helping things.

Yes, he did fix some things I was doing wrong, like staying over the bar too long. I got a 3" belt because I have a short torso; this has helped staying braced and back flat -- same with squats. To that end, I got squat shoes and the lift has made it easier to get to depth with everything tight and back flat. Either way, more coaching is needed and I'll get it.

I have seen several Dr.'s in the past. I've had trigger point injections - useless; cortisone injections - useless; muscle relaxers - useless. Had and MRI and I have a herniated disc at L5/S1. Sub-maximal DLs are very therapeutic, so I'll continue to do them even if it happens that I can't progress much further. Barbell hip thrusts helped as well, but I've dropped those to focus on DL and SQ improvement. I suspect seeking physical therapy will put me on a Bosu ball with 3# chrome weights and doing glute bridges. Using a lax wall and crunching through the knots provides short term relief so that I can move/walk normally in the morning, but the process resets every morning.

I know what Rip would say: Find another doctor. I'm about ready to fly out to see Baraki or Feigenbaum since they understand how to fix it. I'm avoiding seeing out-of-shape Dr.'s who will just say "stop squatting and deadlifting," because that is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisRatzloff View Post
    Welcome! I had chronic back pain when I started SS NLP. In 3 weeks the pain was down 50%. Sounds like yours is more serious than mine but I hope this program and your SS coach can help you. Good to have you on here.
    Thanks! Oh it’s a lot better than it was, believe me. Some days I’d have to drink in the evenings just to deal with it. Now with deadlifting again, and previously doing hip thrusts, all other back pain is gone. I’m just weak AF on the lower body exercises and can’t seem to bust through to where I should be in proportion to my upper lifts. I’m sure it’s a function of my age as well.

You might also wish to confer with Dr. Sullivan who first used the term "Barbell Training is Big Medicine". He runs Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You might also wish to confer with Dr. Sullivan who first used the term "Barbell Training is Big Medicine". He runs Greysteel Strength and Conditioning.
    That’s a great idea, thanks

Don't stress about the lift ratios/proportions. We all start at different spots, and this is yours. Focus on doing what it takes to increase the lifts each workout and watch them increase relative to themselves. Unless you prioritize pressing over squatting and deadlifting, the squat and deadlift will surpass bench and press eventually. If the back issues prevent you from reaching potential on squat and deadlift and the presses still stay higher, then that's fine. Do the best you can with what you have.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, that’s a really good way of looking at it.

My squat has come up a few pounds since September, so the method works a little. I just don’t think it’s gonna move much more than where it is now and those may just be the cards I’m dealt.

Did 190x3x5 today and was useless for the DL. Couldn’t even break 225 off the floor after my presses.

I know the majority of the main SS folks will never admit it publicly since it’s bad marketing and will give too many people an excuse to say it doesn’t work for everyone but there are some outliers that just don’t have the ability to progress 15lbs/week into the mid-300s.

I know Rip talks a lot about people’s vertical jump ability and how it correlates to muscle recruitment. Since mine is under 12” I think it’s safe to say that that correlates to very little power in the SQ and DL. Ive been working on the DL for years and the fact that I still have trouble with 225 confirms it for me.