starting strength gym

Thread: 35yo male- 1st time lifting right

Default 35yo male- 1st time lifting right

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    35 years old. 6' 215 lbs

Decent athleticism. Lifted in HS and college but without any plan or consistency, and with terrible form.

I haven't done anything but random one-off workouts since college.

Started working at a place with a company gym a year ago and committed to being consistent. Went back to the 10/8/6 reps and focusing on arms and bench, but incorporated kettle swings - then deadlifts. Also started getting into reading about training. Over the year I made some small improvements to what I was doing, but most of it was same old.

Got the book, jumped in. Started practiced squat and deadlift first in the week leading up, really started on 1/25/20. Getting stronger is the goal, but my weak squat is my focus right now.

Taking 25g whey in morning and again at night and 5g creatine almost every day. Otherwise I eat whatever I want but make protein heavy choices.

1/25/20
    Squat 155 x 5 x 3
    Bench 185 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 255 x 5 x 1

1/28/20
    Squat 165 x 5 x 3
    Bench 195 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 295 x 5 x 1

1/30/20
    Squat 175 x 5 x 3
    Press practice
    Chins 5 x 3

Next workout will be squat/bench/dead but workout after that will be squat/press/powerclean.

Welcome! You have chosen wisely. This program is fantastic and everyone's very helpful. Good luck! We will be watching your progress.

It's the gold standard. If you can get to a SS coach do it. They will clear up technique problems so you can avoid injury and make consistent progress.
    BTW I was 66 before I started lifting right. You are starting early.
    Last edited by carson; 02-02-2020 at 02:25 PM.

2/1/20
    Felt bad, got humbled
    Squat 185 x 5 x 3 - I had to dig deeeep to keep form and get these. I was screaming.
    Bench 205 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 305 x 5 x 1 - I had to break form to get it up the 4th time, didn't attempt a 5th.

2/4/2020
    Squat 185 x 5 x 3 - repeat, still a struggle but kept form and will go to 190 next
    Press 115 x 5 x 3
    Lots of powerclean practice

I forgot to mention I have 3 young kids and an intense career - it was a tough week for sleep. The squats on 2/1 were too much. Next workout I'm going squat 190/bench 215/repeat 305 for deadlift

What do you do for work mate?

And good on you for choosing this path. I reiterate the above comment re visiting an SS coach, or another good coach in your area (yes great coaches exist outside of SSC's) to assess your technique in person.

300x4, pretty decent man. You'll do well of you do it right.

I'm a project manager for commercial construction management - the job is always trying to take more

2/6/20
    Squat 190 x 5 x 3 - Too hard but completed
    Bench 215 x 5 x 3 - 5 on first set but felt like to failure, 4 reps next, 3 reps last set
    I didn't deadlift, practiced power cleans instead. I was discouraged.

Feeling like the squats are taking too much out of me, and that I'm missing out on the very bottom form wise.

2/10/20
    Squat 135 x 5 x 3 - Correct depth, not that easy
    Press 115 x 5 x 3 - Repeat, felt right
    Power cleans practice and 72lb kettle bell swings 5x3

Waiting until 2/13 to do squat/bench/deadlift. Planning on 145 squat still hyper focused on form and depth, 205 bench down from 215, 275 deadlift. I plan on being more conservative with adding weight and more liberal with rest days for a while.

2/13/20
    Squat 145 x 5 x 3
    Bench 205 x 5 x 3
    Dead 275 x 5 x 1

5 lb increases from here now.

My left knee felt strange before my 2/13 workout. Felt fine once I got into it. But after spending a while in my car I got out and had a major issue.

Stretched everything and rested for an hour and then could walk OK with a limp.

Almost a week later and the sharp pain is the same since that first night. I can do anything with my knee bent, stairs up and down are fine. But going from almost straight to fully straight under load kills me, I’m slightly worse at the end of days vs the beginning.

After it being exactly the same the last few days I’m headed to the doctor this afternoon. I have never had any knee issues before.

starting strength coach development program
    Bakers cyst seems to be the culprit. Good news I guess. Waiting to hear from PCP for official word and treatment options. Of course googling like crazy.