Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    3/2/20

Squat 280 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press 200 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 280 x 5 x 1 set

Neck is still sore, but caused no trouble during the workout. I’ve been taking 600-1000mg ibuprofen during the day. Tried to keep my head and neck relaxed during the bench press today.

The deadlift is getting heavy. I think it may be time to get another set of bumper plates and a more substantial rubber mat for my basement. Right now I’ve only got one set of 45 bumpers and using iron weights to fill out the bar. I also have an old yoga mat on my concrete floor that the bumpers sit on which may not work for much longer.

I have limited bumpers for inside of the bar and its worked great. Easier to load smaller plates outside of it. Think about grabbing a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood with a good 4x6 stall mat, that will get you a long way.

Hope your neck thing figured out.

3/4/20

Squat 285 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 130 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 285 x 5 x 1 set

Longer workout today, about 55 minutes total. Needed to rest more between squat sets. I lost focus on my third set of squat and it was a tough set, but the weight is still just light enough I can make it without 100% focus. Not for long I’m sure.

Weighed myself afterwards and was up to 213 lbs. Normally this would be cause for alarm and crash dieting for a few days but I feel as healthy and as strong as I have in years.

My approach to diet the last 2 weeks has been 250g of protein and let the other macros fall where they may. Going to continue with this for the time being. Sleep has been good. Family/work stress has been about average.

Neck is fine. I think it may be a sleep thing. The cramps moved from the left side to the right side but really no effect on my training at this point.

3/7/20

Squat 290 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press 205 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 290 x 5 x 1 set

Longer workout again today, about 60 minutes total. The squat is heavy, and I feel very vertical. I’m trying to think about reaching back with my butt, and pointing my chest down, but it’s just not natural yet. It’s also taking me longer between reps. I was more focused during the sets though and I hope I can continue with progress for a while. My previous 1 RM for squat is 315.

Bench press is fine, not a big struggle.

Deadlift was easier today. First time lifting with chalk and that helped my grip feel good. Still using double overhand but starting to mess around with a hook grip.

3/9/20

Squat 295 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 135x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 295 x 5 x 1 set

I’m finally in the grind phase of LP, which I’m happy about. I’m thinking about my next training session several times between sessions. I’m also thinking about food and rest choices I make during those two days and how they will affect training and recovery. For me, this is an exciting place to be, and if I can keep this going throughout March I’ll be happy with wherever LP ends.

Form on the squat felt better today. Trying to keep the cues simple. Keep my eyes and chin down and keep the bar over mid foot. And my focus during the set was much better. It’s really just 60 seconds of focus from the time I approach the bar to grip it to the time I rack it. I can’t afford to be thinking about anything else with this much weight on my back.

Press is heavy. Had to increase between set rest times for this exercise today.

Deadlift was pretty good. Last rep I lost focus and felt like I lost my back position a little but overall weight was fine.

3/11/20

Squat 300 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press 210 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 300 x 5 x 1 set

I was really charged up for this squat session. Just trying to think about going through the checklist and then hit the reps. Bench press was not too hard. Deadlift I miss loaded the bar so had to hit a couple extra reps to get the whole set in.

Was done in about 60 minutes today. Time to eat!

3/14/20

Squat 305 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 140 x 5 x 5 x 4
    Deadlift 305 x 5 x 1 set

Been a lot of outside the gym stress lately and haven’t slept that well. I’m sure other folks are in the same situation. I felt it during this training session.

Only my second set of squats felt good. The others were a struggle but I completed them all. I’ve ordered a belt so hopefully that will allow me to continue to progress.

I ended up missing the very last rep on the press. Plan to adjust to a 2.5 lb jump next time I train it instead of a 5lb jump.

Deadlift feels good except for my grip.

3/16

I did not train today. My brother in law was in town and we went to exercise together this morning before he left. Back at it on Wednesday.

3/18/20

Squat 310 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench 215 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 310 x 5 x 1 set

I was scared this morning. I thought the weight on the squat would be too heavy and I’m still feeling soreness in my legs from the workout with my brother in law on Monday. Didn’t train this morning. Found an excuse and something else to do. After regretting it all day I got some time to go lift this evening. When I got down to the basement I absolutely killed it. Bar moved fast in all lifts. Great day. I feel like I can keep LP going for another few weeks if I can keep up my eating and rest. I’m at 215lbs. Haven’t checked my waist in a while, but pants all feel fine.

starting strength coach development program
    3/21/20

Squat 315 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 142.5 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 315 x 5 x 1 set

I was confident I would hit the weight today and I did, although my concentration and my form was BAD on the sets of squat. It’s very clear to me that I am straining and keeping tension in my neck, which is likely causing the soreness I’ve got in my neck. Need to figure out a way to fix that.

315 is the most I’ve ever had on my back. It was my 1 RM when I was in HS(17 years later, I’m back!). It’s all PRs from here.

Press will go up by 2.5 lbs from now on. It was heavy.

Deadlift form was good for 4 reps. Struggled on the 5th.

Today was the first day I’ve lifted with a belt. Also hope to get my video set up soon so I can listen to music during the lifts.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast