starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You need to get your deadlift squared away or you will make the same mistake I did.

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1: Perception vs Reality | Robert Santana

"...The net result is typically a deadlift that is ~50-100 lb ahead of squat 5RM at the end of the novice progression.

This is important, because if the deadlift is artificially light due to an improper progression then what typically happens next is that the squat will eventually get legitimately heavy, taxing the weak low back and resulting in missed deadlifts that would have otherwise been completed. The opposite is not often the case because when the deadlift gets too heavy to recover from it typically will not break off of the floor, even while the squat will continue to progress. Squatting does not require isometric loading to initiate the movement and is more likely to continue making progress in the presence of heavy pulls."

Thanks for sending that Danomite.

Will this sort itself out if I stay the course on squat and go to 10 or 20 lb jumps on Deadlift?

3/23/20

Squat 320 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench press 220 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 325 x 5 x 1 set

Pretty good session today.

I decided to make a change to 10 lb deadlift jumps for now. I think my deadlift has another 50-100 lbs to run (but who knows after all these years). If the squat hits a wall I’ll deload about 10% and see if that helps me keep pushing my deadlift number until it is more in line with my goals(400-1 RM squat and 500 -1 RM DL)

Felt sort of vertical in the squat for a couple reps but fixed it between sets. After watching the videos I noticed that I lift my head to “look up” during some of the reps, and these are making me vertical. Staying focused on keeping my head down also helped me keep my neck more relaxed.

This was a long session today. 77 minutes.

Bench press feels heavy, but I went fast because my session was already running long.

3/26/20

Squat 325 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 145 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 335 x 5 x 1 set

Really mentally and physically hard session today. I haven’t looked at all the videos yet, but I had a hard time keeping the bar over the middle of my foot and bar speed felt sloow. Lots of reasons this could have been the day I missed a rep. My legs were tired. Yesterday I ran a few miles with my wife, did a couple hours of yard work, and I didn’t eat before my training session this morning, etc. but I was able to grind out the three sets of squat.

Second set of press felt strong. The others were tough. I think I’m getting close to the end of my LP here.

Deadlift was heavy, but made the reps.

70 minute training session again, so a bit longer than I’d like. These are generally breaking down as 10 minutes of squat warmups, 20-25 minutes of working squats. 20 min to change the weight, warmup, and working press sets, and 15 minutes to change the weight, warmup and hit the one deadlift set.

3/29/20

Squat 330 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press 225 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 345 x 5 x 1 set

This was a hard training session. I thought about quitting just about every rep of the second and third squat sets. I’m glad I kept going and didn’t quit.

I think 225 bench press for a set of five matches my PR, but I’ll have to check my training log.

Deadlift form was pretty good, my grip is failing after 3 reps so I’m going to hook grip from here on out.

My weight has shot up the last few days. Weighed in at 218 a couple days ago.
    Last edited by OHTrain; 03-29-2020 at 06:11 PM.

3/31/20

Squat 265 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 147.5 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 275 x 5 x 1 set

Going to a Wednesday light day (-20%) for squat and deadlift. Still was able to make a 2.5 jump on press for a set of 5.

What a shit day. All in my head. I’ll probably practice some squat form with 185 just to get under the bar tomorrow.

Squat
    335 x 4 did not set the bar down on the safety pins, just walked it back in.
    335 x 1 - felt my back quiver a little on the first rep then racked it. Terrible.
    335 x 0. Just walked it out and walked it back in. Terrible.

Bench Press
    230 x 5 x 3 sets (this was a 5 rep PR)

Deadlift
    355 x 2

Despite the bench press PR really disappointed. My sleep has been fine, protein and calories are where they need to be (250g and 3500-4000). Time between sets is consistent.(8-9min on squat). I just had ZERO desire to grind today.
    Last edited by OHTrain; 04-02-2020 at 08:44 AM.

This day comes to everyone, man. That one super-crap day under the bar. Rest your overtaxed brain and CNS and come back fresh.

IF Monday looks similar, then make a change. Probably the change is Top and Drop for squats (1 set of 5 at a new PR weight, 2 sets of 5 @85% of top set). Probably, also eliminate deadlift entirely on "light day" irrespective of what else you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    This day comes to everyone, man. That one super-crap day under the bar. Rest your overtaxed brain and CNS and come back fresh.

IF Monday looks similar, then make a change. Probably the change is Top and Drop for squats (1 set of 5 at a new PR weight, 2 sets of 5 @85% of top set). Probably, also eliminate deadlift entirely on "light day" irrespective of what else you choose.
    Thanks Geoff.

So I took a hard look at some of my old training videos over the weekend and I’m not hitting parallel on the squat. I hit parallel maybe 2 out of 5 reps most sets for the past few weeks. Because of this I’m going to reset to 295 on the squat and keep running LP on everything else. This will also give me a more correct distance between my DL and squat numbers, which I didn’t have.

4/6/20

Squat
    295 x 5 x 3 sets

Press
    150 x 5
    150 x 4
    150 x 4

Deadlift
    355x 5 x 1 set

I rushed the press sets, which i think is why I missed a few reps.

Deadlift felt heavy, but I pulled it. And more important, I didn’t quit just because it was heavy. Happy about that. Time to eat.

starting strength coach development program
    4/11/20

Several frustrating sessions in a row. Still working on getting the squat correct.

Squat
    300 x 5 x 2 sets.

Did not Press

Deadlift
    360 x 5

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast