starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever NLP

Default First Ever NLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male, 34 5’10 210lbs.

Have been lifting some(but not heavy) and exercising 4-6 days consistently for the last three years but with no overall goal or structure in mind. I’d like to hit 200/300/400/500 for 1RM’s this year and take a few inches off my 40” waist in the process. Enjoyed reading through everyone’s progress on these boards.

Today is the 8th week of my first LP. My last training sessions are up to:
    110 x 5 press
    185 x 5 bench
    250 x 5 squat
    250 x 5 deadlift
    And taking 5 lb jumps on each lift. Have not had any difficult training sessions yet, but I know they are coming so I’m focusing on my form as much as possible at this point.

Way to go and welcome! Keep up the good work!

Welcome.

I wonder why you are lifting the same weight on Deads as on Squat. Usually the Deads are 1/3 heavier than the Squats.
    A quick check up with a Starting Strength coach you might post some videos.

Hey thanks, glad to have found these boards.

Carson I started the program at 135 on both deadlift and squat, and have just increased them steadily for the 7 weeks. I’ve never deadlifted with a barbell (only a trap bar, and about 20 years ago) so I wanted to start with the lightest weight possible to get comfortable. I figured even that slowly I’d be hitting PR’s within a few months.

I will get my basement rigged to take a video. I’m sure I could use the help.

Tonight’s workout was:

Squat 255 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 115 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 255 x 5 x 1 set

End of week 8 LP

Bench 190 x 5 x 3
    Squat 260 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 260 x 5 x 1

Starting to take more time to warm up before my workout warmup sets and between my working sets. Workout this morning was 55 minutes rather than 40 or 45 minutes I’ve been averaging.

I’m a couple of weeks away from an all time PR for squat. Previous best squat for 1 RM was 315.

2/25/20

Squat 265 x 5 x 3
    Press 120 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 265 x 5 x 1

Everything is starting to feel heavy at once. Excited for the next few weeks of training.

2/27/20

Squat 270 x 5 x 3 sets
    Bench Press 195 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 270 x 5 x 1 set

I sort of tweaked my neck today while taking a breath at the top of the squat. It’s been tight and sore the past week but was getting better. I took a large breath in and the left side got very tight and feels like it has a cramp. This was one of the first reps of the last set and all the reps after were tough to concentrate. I’ve got a video of this set I can post but not sure if it’s better to post here or in one of the other forums. Had no problem finishing my workout but it’s been uncomfortable for a while and I’m thinking it’s being cause by a form issue.

Way to keep at it!

The neck thing: If it's on one side, Ive had that before. It goes away after awhile but is annoying while it lasts. It's not fatal.

You feel it in the squat, but in my experience, it's actually happening in the bench, and then manifests in the squat. How hard are you pressing your head back into the bench? Monitor that and if your tendency is to push your head back hard on the bench, moderate that.

Hey Geoff,
    Appreciate the idea. I’m not sure how hard I’m pushing with my head during the bench but I’ll try to pay attention next bench session. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    2/29/20

Squat 275 x 5 x 3 sets
    Press 125 x 5 x 3 sets
    Deadlift 275 x 5 x 1 set

A lot better feeling training session today. Neck felt sore before the workout but got it loose and no cramps during the sets. This training session was faster than I’ve had for the last week, only 40 min start to finish.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast